Seattle Race? (1 Viewer)

Harry Mannback

Nitro Member
Questions about Seattle Race

Question,

We are taking a little vacation and were thinking of including the Seattle race as part of it. Having never been to that track, any recommendations? Anything to avoid?

Thanks!:)

Dan

Last edited:
Drink lots of water and bring plenty of sunblock, it's usually hot!

Dan, we make the trek annually to Seattle for the Northwest Nationals and it`s always a great time. The track and its amenities are a 180 degrees from what you`re used to at LVMS, but that`s kind of what makes it unique, you can feel the history there. The track is surrounded by fir trees that omit tons of oxygen, but the performance usually doesn`t translate because the track isn`t the best in the world, even with the resurfacing that went on there a few years ago. We usually sit opposite pitside on Fri and Sat (you`re right ontop of the track) and sit in the grandstand behind the starting line on Sunday. There`s plenty of hotels/motels within a 10 mile radius of Pacific Raceways (Auburn, Kent, Renton area) and it`s close to SeaTac Airport too. I love the two races we attend in Pomona and Vegas, but I really look forward to the Seattle race in July, sometimes it can get hot there, but I`ve been there when it was overcast and 70 also. Finally, make it a point to have dinner at Saltys, which overlooks Puget Sound.

Last year was a hot as I've ever seen it in Seattle....100 on Sunday. Darn near melted! Usually quite pleasant. Make time to visit Pikes Market by the warf. Especially the fish market!

I grew up out there. I moved to IL about the time the name changed. I have a lot of memories at that track. I have been there when the sun was beating down, probably about the 107 that Shannon is talking about, then another year where it was pretty overcast, almost cold.
I have tried to schedule some of my vacations back to see family to fit around this race.
Chris is right about the left side stands. they are great. The return road comes past the right side stands too.

Whatever you do, don't take State Route 18 West to get to the track. It backs up. I am fortunate in that I live about 5 miles from the track and can approach from the opposite direction the Pacific Raceways Web site advises people to go.

Once you decide where you're staying, shoot me a PM and I'll give you directions to the track. I usually give pretty good directions. :)

There's plenty of seafood places around, though Salty's is among the best, Anthony's Home Port is also very good. There's a newer commercial development in Kent that is about 20 minutes from the track called Kent Station. There's a Duke's Chowder House there that's really good. Also lots of other stuff as far as food and shopping, even a movie theater, if you have the time and/or energy for that. :D

Three years ago, it was in the 90s. Two years ago it was in the 70s. Last year I thought I was going to die on Saturday and Sunday. I was fortunate on Friday afternoon to have an invite to an air conditioned suite.

If I remember right, there's plenty of work going on at the track now, though having been to LVMS I can attest to the fact Pacific Raceways has some work to do still. Knowing Jason Fiorito, whose family built, owns and now operates the track, it's only going to get better. Oh, and I've been told the pro pits will be completely repaved before the national event, so that will probably enhance the experience for fans and racers alike.

This reminds me, I need to get cracking on who I want to interview this year before the race...

But, even if it's 70 degrees, you still want to bring sunblock and drink lots of water here. Summer is in full swing by the third weekend of July here (summer officially starts after the Fourth of July in the Seattle area) so be prepared for anything.

I've been to Seattle 5 times, and thank God I was lucky with the weather! The Hottest it's been when I was there was maybe mid 80's, seems back in the 1990's every year was plaqued with Rain! The flights to Sea-Tac have gotten outrageous price-wise anymore, so going back might not happen.

Summer has started early this year! Its been in the 80s all week and it was in the 80s last week too. It usually rains alot in May and June but we have'nt seen it yet.

I second the Salty's at Redondo recommendation. Awesome place but pretty small. Other places to go would be Tacoma which is closer than Seattle to Pacific Raceways. The Lobster Shop, Shenanigans, The Ram and Duke's in Ruston is a good bet for quick access after a race. All of them have waterfront decks for dining and drinkies. my favorite is the Lobster shop.

A good friend of our's is the GM at the Sheraton in downtown Tacoma and there is always a ton of great rooms to be had. Its the nicest hotel in town.

Steer clear of Seattle if you are coming from out of town to Pacific Raceways. Way too much traffic that is completely unrelated to the race crowd. Head to Tacoma, its much quicker to and from the track. You can get to the Sheraton in Tacoma in 20 to 30 minutes after getting out of the track. There is a bunch of motels in Fife, which is even closer to the track if you want to save a little $$. No great placs to eat, though. Just the usual fast food stuff and it smells like a paper mill there. Go 5 to 10 minutes farther and stay at the Sheraton. You won't be disappointed.

A quick warning to all...... Bring alot of dough. It costs alot to play around here these days!!!

Last edited:
Oh, yes, Tacoma is a good suggestion. About 30 minutes from the track, highway 18 to I-5 which dumps you eight miles north of Tacoma.

Though there is a Duke's Chowder House in Kent now which is only five miles from the track as well as The Ram right next door at Kent Station. Head east on SR 18 from the track to the very next exit. Turn left and follow Kent-Kangley Road (aka SR 516, aka Southeast 272nd St.) all the way down the hill until it turns into Meeker Street. Kent Station will be on your right. You can find more info on what's there at Kent Station.

Having driven to Tacoma from my home (which is not far from Pacific Raceways) I think it's safe to say to the drive to downtown Kent from the track is a bit faster for some things. :)

But, it's good option if you want to stay fairly close to the track. Don't take SR 18 from there out to the track, though, if you want to avoid traffic. Get off I-5 at Kent-Des Moines Road, turn left, which will point you east. Drive til you get to a T intersection, which is Central, turn left, head north for a few blocks, then turn onto Meeker/Smith/Kent-Kangley road (Jack n the Box on left, Bonaci jewelers on your right at the intersection) and follow that all the way up the hill to SR 18. You can turn right and get onto Highway 18 heading west from there and the track is the very next exit after you get on the freeway. I have an alternate method if you wish to stay on the surface streets.

I live in Maple Valley (five miles east of the track) and work in Kent, which is just off SR 167 and Interstate 5. The track is smack in between. I spend way too much time driving all around the track daily. Blech.

Yeah it has been super nice here this week. It's been quite strange. But, it's supposed to go back to normal next week, overcast and wet. Figures. Will make going back to work easier on Monday. Sigh.

Weather in July could be a toss up. I've got my fingers crossed for 70s and sunshine. :D

Oh, yes, Tacoma is a good suggestion. About 30 minutes from the track, highway 18 to I-5 which dumps you eight miles north of Tacoma.

Though there is a Duke's Chowder House in Kent now which is only five miles from the track as well as The Ram right next door at Kent Station. Head east on SR 18 from the track to the very next exit. Turn left and follow Kent-Kangley Road (aka SR 516, aka Southeast 272nd St.) all the way down the hill until it turns into Meeker Street. Kent Station will be on your right. You can find more info on what's there at Kent Station.

Having driven to Tacoma from my home (which is not far from Pacific Raceways) I think it's safe to say to the drive to downtown Kent from the track is a bit faster for some things. :)

But, it's good option if you want to stay fairly close to the track. Don't take SR 18 from there out to the track, though, if you want to avoid traffic. Get off I-5 at Kent-Des Moines Road, turn left, which will point you east. Drive til you get to a T intersection, which is Central, turn left, head north for a few blocks, then turn onto Meeker/Smith/Kent-Kangley road (Jack n the Box on left, Bonaci jewelers on your right at the intersection) and follow that all the way up the hill to SR 18. You can turn right and get onto Highway 18 heading west from there and the track is the very next exit after you get on the freeway. I have an alternate method if you wish to stay on the surface streets.
Wanna run thru those directions again Kris LOL, poor Dans going to end up in Mercer Island!
Dan, SR-18 obviously is the quickest way into the track and if your getting to the track around 9 Saturday or Sunday morning, then the backup isn`t bad...maybe a 15 minute wait. It`s never been a problem on Friday.

I've been to the Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways when it was chilly and when it's been unbearably hot (like last year). The best advice I can give is be prepared for either weather possibility. Anthony's Home Port, Salty's, and Duke's are all good recommendations. And visiting the Pike Street Market is a must if you're a first time visitor who has never been there.

Wanna run thru those directions again Kris LOL, poor Dans going to end up in Mercer Island!
Dan, SR-18 obviously is the quickest way into the track and if your getting to the track around 9 Saturday or Sunday morning, then the backup isn`t bad...maybe a 15 minute wait. It`s never been a problem on Friday.

I'll be at the race this year. Anyone who wants a tour guide is welcome to PM me. :D

If Dan ends on up MI, well, I'm sure some nice Mercedes-driving Islander will happily point his way off the island. ;) Especially if he has an NHRA sticker on the back of his vehicle. Oh, I'm so bad.

I grew up in Bellevue and am still recovering, but living in Maple Valley helps. Ha ha.

Hopefully if I can direct a few people away from the usual bottleneck on SR 18 heading east from Auburn/I-5 toward the track, then maybe it will make things easier for other race fans. :)

And it is really very easy to get to downtown Kent from the track. You make a right, you get on the freeway, then get off, then make a left and head down the hill. I always have liked taking the most direct route ... now the direction for the surface streets is a little more complicated. Heh.

The only other track I've been to is LVMS and I lived in Vegas for 2 1/2 years, so, I know my way around there too. I don't have the guts to go somewhere I've never been. LOL

I'm looking forward to this year. Last year I took my now ex-best girlfriend who ruined Saturday for me, so, this year I'm going to Friday and Saturday by myself and I'll take Mike, my best friend since sixth grade on Sunday. He's been bugging me about it for a month already. I took him last year and I think he's hooked. Love to convert the virgins. ;)

My last 2 times at Seattle, I-18 East backs up like a Bitch on Sat/Sun. I just went to the next exit, got off and came back West and beat a Ton of Traffic!

For my first trip to Seattle last year, I took Kris' excellent directions (Kent-Kangley/Canyon Drive, etc.) and enjoyed a very pleasant, traffic-free trip to and from Pacific Raceways. This route also has the huge benefit of a Safeway/Starbucks about 10 minutes from the track - perfect to pick up a last-minute sandwich, water, and iced latte.

Assuming that the idiots in the Passport Office get their stuff together, I'm looking forward to this year's race too. I stayed (and am booked again) at the ExtendedStayAmerica in Kent. It's a very basic hotel but has a kitchenette (read: BEER FRIDGE and MICROWAVE for POPCORN!) for about $70. Crappy area but it's close to 167 and not that far away from some of the good restaurants (I love Chang's).

Hope to see you all in July!

Rush is playing on Friday night at the near by ampatheater! Also, we are going to be up there doing a diplay on that Thursday for Royal Purple at the NAPA store across the street from ikea near Renton and possibly on the Midway during the race. We're still working on that.

Looking forward to meeting some of you here at the Seattle race.

IF any of you are on vacation and can stay around a week the annual Seafair unlimited hydroplane race is going to be held on Lake Washington the next weekend. If you have never seen the big boats running at 200 mph on water its quite something, plus the eye candy on the beach and log boom is rather nice as well.

As far as getting to the track I go up hwy 18 go past the track exit to the next exit turn around going south on 18 and drive right in .....

Carl

P.S. we should meet up Sat evening for some cocktails on the waterfront someplace...

Carl, we went in the same way as you last year and it actually was surprisingly fast (considering I sat in that awful line three years ago and would rather step in front of a semi that do that again). Not sure which days we're going this year, but I would definitely recommend getting there as early as humanly possible...but that's always my plan, no matter the day or location.

Cat

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back