Sean & Doug Show (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
The TA/FC final was as good as it gets. Sean beats Doug and Sean wins the Championship & Doug #2. Roles reversed again. If I raced Alky F/C I would hate to have to race either of these guys. IMO these are the 2 best TA/FC on the planet.

Maybe this is old news, but did I correctly hear Reinhart say on NHRA.TV yesterday (Sunday) that Bartone
is building a A/Fuel flopper for the 2023 season? If so that is really cool. I know hear in the Northwest we
have one car already built, and maybe a 2nd car being built? Can't wait for the 2023 Div 6 season. It's been
40 plus years since the last A/Fuel flopper ran in the Northwest...
1668436017176.png

A/Fuel FC... In the late 70s and early 80s, hear in the Northwest we had the Springer & Price A/Fuel flopper
with Barry Price in the seat. The picture above, 1980 Portland, OR. I was 21 years old, where did the time go?

Last edited:
Everyone knows about the car that Randy Meyer built last Winter. When NHRA announced that A/FC would be allowed for '23, it was quickly noted that a car was on display at the Seattle event. If Bartone and a couple more are at the track next year, I would say that the rule change was halfway a success. Only if those A/FC cars are new to the class, and not crossover teams from A/FD or TA/FC would it be 100% success.

I don't believe the Bartone camp is switching, but rather building an A/FC to test. Remember, Boggs has a lot of experience with injected fuel, including getting a TAD title for Tony Bartone in an A/FD.

Tony drove a blown nitro Nostalgia Top Fuel front engine dragster with Boggs tuning. Boggs tuned an injected nitro and nitrous Fathead Hemi in a long wheelbase altered in the 1980's and his Brother as the driver. That was a LONG way from a modern A/FC. Ask Randy Meyer how well that notebook converted over.

Maybe this is old news, but did I correctly hear Reinhart say on NHRA.TV yesterday (Sunday) that Bartone
is building a A/Fuel flopper for the 2023 season? If so that is really cool. I know hear in the Northwest we
have one car already built, and maybe a 2nd car being built? Can't wait for the 2023 Div 6 season. It's been
40 plus years since the last A/Fuel flopper ran in the Northwest...
View attachment 11699
A/Fuel FC In the late 70s and early 80s, hear in the Northwest we had the Springer & Price A/Fuel flopper
with Barry Price in the seat. The picture above 1980 Portland, OR. I was 21 years old, where did the time go?
Yes they are building a A/fuel funny car. Steve Boggs is a master at what it takes to make it work, only if the powers lesson to him. the present suggested spec for A/fuel funny needs some changes to make them competitive. BTW it will have a surprise new driver to the class. stay tuned. and in my opinion Sean and Doug are 2 of the best drivers out there, an they both come from great racing families.
Larry Sutton---Lions starter and racer (RET).

Last edited:
The team that Clint Thompson drove for in Pomona again are by building a/fuel fc as well.

The car is already built. The car was on display at Seattle (Northwest Nats) this year.
I should have taken a picture. Allan Kean did you take a picture?

Sorry. No I didn't take any photos of it. Had a great conversation with the guys displaying it. They shed some light on why the nitro combination is cheaper to run than blown alcohol. Good information. Looking forward to seeing it run.

I'm just curious about injected nitro costing less than blown alky. I know that a blown alky engine makes power at really high RPM and that nitro engines are less RPM. Would wear & tear be higher for blown alky? Seems to me that the cost of nitro would play a part in how much it costs to run the car. Asking for a friend. :)

The biggest cost is the supercharger. It has been said in several posts/forums/groups that each supercharger is $20k on up, and to be competitive you need three or more. I believe they were freshening them up after just a couple of runs. So, the cost of blowers and blower maintenance are higher than the cost of drums of Nitro.

The biggest cost is the supercharger. It has been said in several posts/forums/groups that each supercharger is $20k on up, and to be competitive you need three or more. I believe they were freshening them up after just a couple of runs. So, the cost of blowers and blower maintenance are higher than the cost of drums of Nitro.
you don't need three or more blowers and to service them after a few runs. Nitro is big cost going in app. 1500 $ for 44 gallon - need many more clutch discs and floaters

I worked for Bartone in 2015, we didn't touch the blower all season. We had 2 because we had a spare of everything, but there is nothing to really 'service' on a screw blower because there are no strips.

Boggs said in a facebook group that you want two blowers built one after the other, made from the same lot of material & machine type for consistency...20+K x 2

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back