Seafood Chowdah (1 Viewer)

downtime

Nitro Member
Begin by frying the bacon (medium low heat, take your time). About halfway through the bacon cooking process add a whole cut up onion cut to size (I usually create rings and then quarter them).

I then add the potato cut up into bite size pieces to facilitate cooking. Your choice as to peel or retain the skin after washing.

I then add a stick of butter being careful to keep the temperature low enough to NOT burn.

Then add the seafood. The order does not really matter as it all cooks very quickly, scallops, fish, crabmeat, shrimp, clams, and whatever else you have. I use only fresh or fresh frozen (and then thawed) seafood. Once heated through add the half and half.

Do NOT boil. Simmer until all is blended and potato is just barely soft enough.

Remove from heat and place in the fridge overnight.

(You can eat it the first night but it is so much better after a period of cooling ans slow reheating....)

If it needs a little more milk or butter add it as needed. Salt and pepper to taste. I highly recommend NO salt until it is cooked through as sometimes seafood can be more salty than anticipated. I also use unsalted butter and would rather season to taste using kosher salt.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back