Schumacher ignores shut-off order (1 Viewer)

Should there be a shutoff device of some sort that the starter can reach? Only about every sportsman car I've ever seen has to have them.

That size of a fine could really hurt a smaller team. Guess who is smiling all the way to the bank on this one? Can you say "convenient revenue generator"? Regardless of who did it I would think it more than fair to be appealed due to the fact that he the starter flip-flopped and let him run anyway. This is not like the starter we have gotten used to. Megasize team pressure perhaps?

Should there be a shutoff device of some sort that the starter can reach? Only about every sportsman car I've ever seen has to have them.
It does beg the question, why are 12 second Sportsman cars required to have a shut off switch, but 4 second, 8,000 horsepower dragsters aren't?

look at NHRA tape Stewart was confussed

A.J looked at both sides of the car and at one point was standing between Stewart and Tony.
I have a hunch that Tonys car wasn't even leaking.
I feel Stewart was confussed and thus let Tony stage. If AJ looked car over and no leak then let em run.
Why didn't Stewart just go up to AJ and force him to shut it down--plain and simple
Like I said look at the NHRA replay.
$20,000 --appeal that fine plain and simple.

Doug,

The car was leaking, I believe AJ said a blown O-ring around a plug and that's why the car went up in smoke at the hit... it was putting oil on the track

It does beg the question, why are 12 second Sportsman cars required to have a shut off switch, but 4 second, 8,000 horsepower dragsters aren't?

My guess would be that sportsman cars don't shoot flames out unexpectedly (if the driver mashed the gas while the guy was back there)

Does NHRA just pull a figure out of the sky and that's what you pay? Who the hell comes up with this stuff.And where does the money go? JJ

A.J looked at both sides of the car and at one point was standing between Stewart and Tony.
I have a hunch that Tonys car wasn't even leaking.
I feel Stewart was confussed and thus let Tony stage. If AJ looked car over and no leak then let em run.
Why didn't Stewart just go up to AJ and force him to shut it down--plain and simple
Like I said look at the NHRA replay.
$20,000 --appeal that fine plain and simple.

Sorry Doug I don’t mean to single you out but I think you may be missing the point here.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is for Rick Stewart giving the shut off signal to ANY team!!! The fact is, a crew chief isn’t privy to the information that Rick Stewart is. Rick has full control of the entire race track period and everyone knows that!!! What if there was a problem at the other end of the track that A.J. didn’t know about?? (Stewart would know about it because of his radio communications with the rest of the Safety Safari) The Army team showed no concern for Doug Kalitta’s safety, they were only concerned about getting the extra 20 points for setting a record… in my opinion.

Like him or hate him, Rick Stewart has the final say in any situation concerning the entire race surface including the starting line. This is a dangerous sport and there has to be ONE person in complete control or bad things will happen!!!

I looked at video at slo-mo

Rick Stewart walked right by AJ. Could have stretched out his arm and touched AJ, no problem WHY didn't Stewart TELL AJ to shut it down?
Stewart just kept walking and started talking to another crew member then activates the tree.
Am sure it was confussing to Tony. Lets not forget the Capps? incident to shut it down for a supposed leak. Turns out it was previous car leaking I believe.
Leaking around a spark plug O ring??
If anyone should be fined then perhaps Stewart for non-communication skills.
Come people LOOK AT THE video in slow motion. Stewart acted like a confussed idiot. Guess dim light in the tower didn't have his remote controller on or perhaps one too many beers--LOL

Sorry Doug I don’t mean to single you out but I think you may be missing the point here.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is for Rick Stewart giving the shut off signal to ANY team!!! The fact is, a crew chief isn’t privy to the information that Rick Stewart is. Rick has full control of the entire race track period and everyone knows that!!! What if there was a problem at the other end of the track that A.J. didn’t know about?? (Stewart would know about it because of his radio communications with the rest of the Safety Safari) The Army team showed no concern for Doug Kalitta’s safety, they were only concerned about getting the extra 20 points for setting a record… in my opinion.

Like him or hate him, Rick Stewart has the final say in any situation concerning the entire race surface including the starting line. This is a dangerous sport and there has to be ONE person in complete control or bad things will happen!!!
awesome post! thats what ive been saying, they didnt care about dougs safety, they only wanted the 20 pts. and how come they didnt ask him about it on nhra2day? hes the goldenboy thatswhy. go team kalitta!!!!!

Rick Stewart walked right by AJ. Could have stretched out his arm and touched AJ, no problem WHY didn't Stewart TELL AJ to shut it down?
Stewart just kept walking and started talking to another crew member then activates the tree.
Am sure it was confussing to Tony. Lets not forget the Capps? incident to shut it down for a supposed leak. Turns out it was previous car leaking I believe.
Leaking around a spark plug O ring??
If anyone should be fined then perhaps Stewart for non-communication skills.
Come people LOOK AT THE video in slow motion. Stewart acted like a confussed idiot. Guess dim light in the tower didn't have his remote controller on or perhaps one too many beers--LOL

Doug, You make some very good points however, I cant answer them.

Maybe he thought because he gave the driver (the guy with the “kill switch” within reach) the shut off signal that he made himself clear…. I don’t know. I watched the show last night but I couldn’t clearly see what actually happened and I was watching for it too because I heard about it earlier in the day on the audio cast.

I will agree with you that Rick could have done more like give him a red light or not activate the tree for example but that wouldn’t have been fair to Doug. Again, I don’t know….. I’m just glad I wasn’t in Rick’s shoes last night. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back