Schumacher ignores shut-off order (1 Viewer)

mopain

Nitro Member
A story on competitionplus.com says starter Rick Stewart and NHRA assistant director of Top Fuel, Rick Schreck, both ordered Tony Schumacher to shut off his car just before he made his 4th round qualifying run, when they saw some fluid leaking.
Schumacher said he saw the shut-off order from starter Rick Stewart. Crew chief Alan Johnson said he didn't. But Schumacher said he's the driver, not the boss, and that he listens solely to his crew chief.
Since when did the crew chief become the one that decides whether or not it is safe to make a run? I think the NHRA should come down hard on Tony. If they don't, this could set a VERY dangerous precedent.
Any ideas what the punishment should be?

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - SCHUMACHER ON SHUT-OFF - "I clearly saw him."

Personally, BIG BUCKS and 10 Points and probation for a year... we wanna be NASCAR, give out NASCAR fines...

or,

5 laps in the penelty box, before today's first round

Because Doug wasn't staged, was waiting for Tony, or someone to get a handle on what was going one Rahn looked confussed too

Because Doug wasn't staged, was waiting for Tony, or someone to get a handle on what was going one Rahn looked confussed too

Well what has Doug got to do with it? He told Tony to shut down. When Tony didn't he should not have activated the tree. Seems simple to me.

then Doug would have been red also... ergo: no top spot, he was not staged, but if Rick had waved Doug in, then activated the tree, different story...

Okay, read your point... still, Doug would not have gotten a run...

Last edited:
shame on him no class or regard for dougs safety either, hes like a spoiled little boy! 20 pts minimum. if theres a drag racing god doug will win it today early! what if tony wins it now? id put an aterick on it because you know nhra will so nothing to there golden boy for punishment!

If Rick did tell them to shut off, and there was a leak and they were able to fix it, why not let them run?

If it was that dangerous, Rick would have ran out in front of Tony and turned not let him stage.

If the story is accurate and he did see and ignore a shut off signal, I think Tony blew it and needs to be discplined.

Wasn't Whit fined and put on probation for 'fast driving'? This would also seem to be a safety violation that merits similar discipline; a $ fine and probation?

And no excuse for Tony but I thought the starter also has the ability to turn on the red light for only one side of the tree?

After seeing on NHRA today the whole deal,Rick Did not make himslf clear to shut off,When Rick wants you to shut off he makes it very clear and dramatic,Tony did the right thing!

If Rick did tell them to shut off, and there was a leak and they were able to fix it, why not let them run?

If it was that dangerous, Rick would have ran out in front of Tony and turned not let him stage.
Giving the shut off signal should be enough. One shouldn't have to stand infront of a car to get you to shut it off.

After seeing on NHRA today the whole deal,Rick Did not make himslf clear to shut off,When Rick wants you to shut off he makes it very clear and dramatic,Tony did the right thing!
Wasn't clear enough?...what should he have done?...reached in and squeezed his balls?

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back