SC gone from DSR (1 Viewer)

what if shawn does go over to aj's team and he qualifies lets say in the top half???:eek: then what? that could be interesting:D

Great He cant drive so were gonna make AJ the babysitter cus DSR is catching too much heat. Just not fair to AJ and his operation if it happens, they are running strong and don't need the DSR soap opera runnin over into their pits.

If he just went away its not like anyone would notice. :eek:

Wow kinda harsh.. ;) give the kid a break.. ya gotta remember he is "Used to driving FWD and between rounds hanging with the "Baggy Pants" crowed (Relaxed Atsomphere)... Now that DON'T Make Him A Bad Kid but it sure may have an impact on his driving... "Driving?" well I "think" someone mentioned how he has the most aborted runs of any Pro Stock Driver...
Again that in itself don't make him a bad kid.. but IMO it suggests maybe he should take a year and run in Comp Eliminator with a D/A (low 8 high 7 sec car) or a B/A which is a mid to low 7 sec car... & he should NOT run B/AA (automatic) he should run a B/A with a Liberty, & maybe he will get used to driving a RWD car that runs close to Pro Stock ET's.. at that point he can start to try to drive a Pro Stocker... maybe he wont have the "Aborted" runs.. etc..

I don't know & NO ONE HERE knows if he is hitting his shift points (unless they have access to his computer read outs) I have driven D/A and know if you miss your shift point by 200-300 rpm it makes a "helluva" difference in ET.. I'm sure in PS missing your shift points can make the difference between DQ and # 16 or higher..

It has been mentioned that he has had new motors, chassis's, crew chief, there ain't much more that can be changed :confused: I'd love to hear if anyone has some legit changes that can be made to help him qualify..

Sounds to me to be a corporate re-structuring here. Assets {SC}, are being transferred to another facility in order to facilitate a more productive work environment{DSR}, and increase long term profitability! Besides, EE needs as much power as Dave can give her right now. I hope AJ is well compensated for his efforts.

If I recall correctly it wasn't so much Mopar as other brand racers complaining about the true origin of the motor that killed Alan's wedge. In addition NHRA wanted continuity within the corp. groups making it easier to police. Dosn't NHRA require a manufacturers part # for the block and heads in pro stock?

Actually, I remember a bunch of commotion concerning when Allen was using a legal block and the factory supported Dodge team at the time wasn't. Didn't Allen protest and manage to keep them from running at Richmond that year? Then Allen turns around and won without factory support? I remember reading a joke somewhere about Mopar ordering a truckload of aspirin to go with that one.

Here's the deal on that scenario.The Dodge's back then used a GM block and heads.Dale Eicke got the Mopar program and convinced Mopar that using the GM stuff with Mopar P/N's was the way to go in order to be competitive from the start.The Hemi stuff was in it's infancy and not even ready to go yet.The Mopar folks got the blocks from the Caterpillar foundry,same as GM did,so they said it was a "aftemarket block" and was legal.NHRA Ok'd this.I saw Nickens' engine in the back of a Dodge truck at Gainesville and there was no doubt it was a GM engine.Later the GM boys started to complain,and then NHRA gave the Mopar racers a certain amount of time to get the Hemi up and going to replace the so called "wedge".When the Hemi 99 program wasn't ready yet,Mopar again dropped out and concentrated on getting the Hemi up and running.AJ wasn't the one who did any complaining,it was the GM boys.

Personally I was glad to see that Pontiac motor get banned!!

Last edited:
Here's the deal on that scenario.The Dodge's back then used a GM block and heads.Dale Eicke got the Mopar program and convinced Mopar that using the GM stuff with Mopar P/N's was the way to go in order to be competitive from the start.The Hemi stuff was in it's infancy and not even ready to go yet.The Mopar folks got the blocks from the Caterpillar foundry,same as GM did,so they said it was and "aftemarket block" and was legal.NHRA Ok'd this.I saw Nickens' engine in the back of a Dodge truck at Gainesville and there was no doubt it was a GM engine.Later the GM boys started to complain,and then NHRA gave the Mopar racers a certain amount of time to get the Hemi up and going to replace the so called "wedge".When the Hemi 99 program wasn't ready yet,Mopar again dropped out and concentrated on getting the Hemi up and running.AJ wasn't the one who did any complaining,it was the GM boys.

Personally I was glad to see that Pontiac motor get banned!!

Thank you!

Wow, he really has a important job

Why can't they just say he wasn't working out? They are still hell bent on blaming the car for his misfortunes. I will give them some credit, Nickens did admit they needed to get 2 cars solidly in the show before they can get 3 in. It's a shame though that a legend in our sport got slammed on here for a personnel decision that he had no control over. No one will admit that though. I can't wait to see what Evernham and those guys figure out why Shaun's car stopped working. Good deal for Enders, she moved in and moved Shaun right out of seat. Do you think if she continues not qualifying they will give her a engineering job also? She's working on the same resume that Shaun has, qualify for one race and then hit non qualifying streak.

ummmm... isn't she driving Shaun's car? If she's having the same performance issue, wouldn't that actually be the car? After all, her track record with the Slammers car was pretty good this year. The girl can drive.

Jackee, the release said she is getting the new car and that he is trying to figure out the old one. My question is, why would they want to put developement money into a car that isn't up to snuff. Don could sell it to a comp team for 70K and cut his losses... Just a thought.

Jackee, the release said she is getting the new car and that he is trying to figure out the old one. My question is, why would they want to put developement money into a car that isn't up to snuff. Don could sell it to a comp team for 70K and cut his losses... Just a thought.

SMOKESCRENE comes to mind cus they gotta do a coverup somehow. :eek:

We will never know the truth so why should it mater anymore. :cool:

For what it's worth, here's what I think... And I wrote briefly about this on the old Mater site, but it was right before they pulled the plug so I don't know how much 'air time' it got.

It's about loyalty, plain & simple. Has anyone heard the saying: "Praise in public, but punish in private"? There's purpose and simple logic in that statement.

If Don, or anyone who owns and operates a team for that matter, doesn't support his team publicly - and that means each and every member of it, they, in turn, won't support him. That's leadership 101 folks. Your people have to know you stand behind them, even when they're struggling.

Look at the way he handled the Ron Capps/Whit Bazemore issue. I, for one, was thoroughly impressed. They've raced each other twice, very recently, with Whit winning both times and yet they remain cordial in public. Sure, they deserve credit for being professional, but don't think for one minute that Don Schumacher didn't have a lot to do with that - privately.

Also, remember back to Seattle when Scelzi was "directed" to take the bad lane so Whit could stay in the hunt - Don Schumacher publicly accepted responsibility, effectively relieving his team(s) from taking any of the heat. They've raced heads-up ever since & it's been awesome.

Additionally, none of us know the details of the contract between DSR & Mopar. Don and his drivers & teams have a responsibility to support Mopar's (or whoever's) desires or he risks losing their backing. Again, leadership 101. If you're willing to publicly go against the wishes of your leader(s), what makes you think they're going to continue to support you? They won't, plain and simple. It's true in relationships, it's true in business & it's true on the battlefield. So if Mopar, as it's been theorized on this site, wanted Shaun in the car, then Don did exactly what he had to do & I respect him for it.

I'm not necessarily a big DSR fan, but I don't have anything against him either. Nor am I a huge fan of multi-car teams. And personally I don't think Shaun was the right choice to drive the (at the time) 2nd DSR Pro Stock car - but I ain't signin' the checks so my opinion don't mean squat. All that aside, I commend Don Schumacher for his leadership and management skills under some fairly stressful conditions. He did right by Shaun Carlson & Mopar... and yes, even Bob Glidden. He never said a negative word about the man, and in fact, holds him in high esteem.

Gordon, that is one of the most logical posts I have read in a long time... Great points.

ummmm... isn't she driving Shaun's car? If she's having the same performance issue, wouldn't that actually be the car? After all, her track record with the Slammers car was pretty good this year. The girl can drive.

HI:)
There is little doubt Erica can drive, she has done a great job this season.

If you take note of the terminal speeds of both DNQ cars, they are well down on Stevens qualifying speeds which suggests engine power (down on) could be a major contributing factor, more than driver/car problems.
Thanks JP:D

John, couldn't it also mean missed shift points? Also couldn't he just be gettin' off the hammer once he sees that he's lost the race anyway? Just a couple of thoughs............."HIP"

John, couldn't it also mean missed shift points? Also couldn't he just be gettin' off the hammer once he sees that he's lost the race anyway? Just a couple of thoughts............."HIP"

Hip/Rogerr,

Don't you mean "lost the run" rather than "lost the race"? Shaun has only qualified once this year, so he hasn't been in any "races" besides that ONE. I've noticed a pattern of multiple blown qualifying passes from him over the entire course of the year. Not many races where he has had 4 complete runs under power to the finish line. Not sure why, and DSR isn't telling us, but it sure has had to be frustrating to all involved.

Who got him in the only show he qualified for this year?

Who got Shaun in the only show he qualified for this year? Shaun will find out what was causing his problems with Ray Evernham's help, yeah the guy who has worked on stock cars all his life is going to help Shaun the Fabricator figure out what Jerry Haas couldn't. Yeah, right! The problem was the driver and the engine program. Maybe not having to concentrate on 3 cars will help them out. Here is something else to ponder to see if this engineering thing is real. If I am not mistaken Shaun was flying in to all the races, when the team tested it was usually Bob abd Rusty when they were there and now Adams doing the driving. Is Shaun relocating to Charlotte or is he going to fly everyday to Charlotte because I am sure in order to do engineering work he would need to be there at the shop not in Cali.

Though I personally dont think that SC was the right person for the job, and with all the aborted runs why opinion to me holds true that he just isint a pro stock competitive driver. However, with that being said, there is an obvious problem with the car and horsepower under the hood as well. So its not like it was only his driving capabilities. I will say one thing though, he has some things going for him, his gf Apple being one of them!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back