Rush (1 Viewer)

I thought you were going to say "Tom Sawyer" and "Red Barchetta"!

On the rare occassion that I hear "Red Barchetta" on the radio, the hair still stands up on the back of my neck when they get to that nice drum roll near the end of the song.

Neil's solos are worth the price of admission. No doubt about it.

Murdock.

i'm like bob cole - haven't followed the albums closely since the 'signals' days.
in fact, the last time i saw them was the 'permanent waves' tour.
i HAVE to see them again - anytime i hear their more recent music
which i do not know note for note like the old albums - i still know
it's rush only after hearing a few bars - still sounds awesome.
i need to throw cd's in my truck and start listening again (old and new)
.......like songs 'Xanadu' and 'La Villa Strangiato'

i'm like bob cole - haven't followed the albums closely since the 'signals' days.
in fact, the last time i saw them was the 'permanent waves' tour.
i HAVE to see them again - anytime i hear their more recent music
which i do not know note for note like the old albums - i still know
it's rush only after hearing a few bars - still sounds awesome.
i need to throw cd's in my truck and start listening again (old and new)
.......like songs 'Xanadu' and 'La Villa Strangiato'

ah, for you have dined on honeydew, and drunk the milk of paradise....:cool:

you will be astounded at their virtuosity these days when you go. songs they used to struggle to play live, today, they nail em. I remember reading an interview around the time of hemispheres. they said they never got thru 'la villa' when they recorded it. it was too hard. they had to splice together different takes.

today they play it before they get out of bed. can you tell how much I admire those guys?:eek:

Moving Pictures is the Album that Broke them out as a Mainstream Rock band. I don't care for Roll the Bones except for Ghost of a chance. That's a good one!

Moving Pictures is the Album that Broke them out as a Mainstream Rock band. I don't care for Roll the Bones except for Ghost of a chance. That's a good one!

excellent song indeed. for rush songs not played on the radio, I 'm partial to 'The enemy within' from 'grace under pressure'

excellent song indeed. for rush songs not played on the radio, I 'm partial to 'The enemy within' from 'grace under pressure'

Great song indeed Bob, but if I had to choose a Rush tune that never made the mainstream, yet caught my imagination it would be Anagram (for Mongo) off the Presto CD. It flows, it's got great rhythm, it tells a story... and every single line in the song is an anagram! Every time I hear it I'm amazed at Neil's talent with the pen as well as the sticks!

I love the new single too - can't wait for the CD!

Lost song No.3- Countdown

Great story about the astronauts that pilot the shuttles, and the band's experience in witnessing a launch (All the band guys are big into R/C aircraft)

RUSH is truly the innovative group that has survived time. Neil is the Man..but it's a gel that has just stuck for so long..and gotten better.

Fly By Night was my intro to Rush in '75..

To hear them then..and now..is a maturation process that might not be duplicated anytime soon.

And to see Neil spending his time teaching is truly a gift.

I was @ a drum-off in So Calif years ago where all the best drummers get together for charity and the crowd (old and young) get to watch the best drummers come out and have a show-down for fun....but they all take it very serious and the final was between Neil Peart and Travis Barker (Blink 182).
The crowd voted for Barker as did Peart in regards to best all around drummer...I was partial to Peart but he could not out do Travis on that afternoon...

In fact since you guys kept this thread going I went out and bought some Rush CD's since all my Rush stuff is vinyl packed away....

Drum-off would be for the show in us all.Technically..I have never seen anyone above Neil..Buddy Rich maybe..from a technical standpoint..

Barker is a bad dude..no doubt..Mr. Cole, would care to comment on Travis' performance here:

Barker Dude

Good show..but lots of glitter and wow wow..hehe. Neil flutters the heart from a technical standpoint.

Being a drummer and all..Neil just flat out rocks..but Travis does a great show there..

I have an 11mb Mp3 file of Neil that kicks Barker's ass if anyone wants to listen..hehe

NOW..here's Neil's glitter..

Neil Now To me..this is what it's all about.

If Barker dude is doing this after 30 more years..I'll root for him..but until then..I rest my case. Please take the time to watch it. (all of it ya die hard!) This is just nothing but classic.

I agree with you David, Neil's the man... and has been for 30+ years.

I read in his book, or perhaps it's in the Burning for Buddy CD jacket I can't recall which at the moment, that he went to Steve Smith of Journey fame and re-learned how to play the drums! Imagine that, somebody teaching Neil Peart technical changes to improve his drumming. It had to do with drum placement / angular set-up. If you look at older footage, his drums heads were turned up towards him more than they are now - today they're a lot flatter.

If you haven't listened to the Burning for Buddy CD's, you're missing a true aural pleasure in terms of percussion. It ain't a Nitro motor cackling in your ears, but it's pretty damn good stuff.

I agree with you David, Neil's the man... and has been for 30+ years.

I read in his book, or perhaps it's in the Burning for Buddy CD jacket I can't recall which at the moment, that he went to Steve Smith of Journey fame and re-learned how to play the drums! Imagine that, somebody teaching Neil Peart technical changes to improve his drumming. It had to do with drum placement / angular set-up. If you look at older footage, his drums heads were turned up towards him more than they are now - today they're a lot flatter.

If you haven't listened to the Burning for Buddy CD's, you're missing a true aural pleasure in terms of percussion. It ain't a Nitro motor cackling in your ears, but it's pretty damn good stuff.

He may have consulted with Steve Smith but the teacher that he studied with in "re-learning" his approach to drumset is Freddie Gruber, Freddie is considered the absolute pinnacle of drumset instuctors. Steve Smith was one of his students as well.

Freddie Gruber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He may have consulted with Steve Smith but the teacher that he studied with in "re-learning" his approach to drumset is Freddie Gruber, Freddie is considered the absolute pinnacle of drumset instuctors. Steve Smith was one of his students as well.

Freddie Gruber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it's coming back to me now and you're right, "studied" was probably the wrong word. He consulted with Steve... Thanks Tom for clearing that previously somewhat confused brain cell.

Man..I could talk and listen about drummin' all day.

1965 Sandy Nelson..was my first percussion album (hehe)..uhhh..I said album..LOL

Our own YankDaddy (Bob Cole)..has a rather extensive..and impressive percussion resume..studied with some good ones. :)

Man..I could talk and listen about drummin' all day.

1965 Sandy Nelson..was my first percussion album (hehe)..uhhh..I said album..LOL

You just lost some of our younger participants. :D

Gordon - No prob, man... just doin' my part!

I managed to carve out a living playing drums for a few years so it's difficult for me to stay out of this type of discussion. The whole "who's the best drummer" subject is really quite ridiculous since the criteria for such a thing is completely abstract. I suppose you could argue elements of drumming like cleanest rudiments, most even double stroke, smoothest press roll, fastest singles, and so forth. Unfortunately none of that means squat when it comes to making a track feel right. Now favorite drummer, on the other hand, is a completely legitimate question! It's not one that I can answer truthfully unless I'm allowed to submit it as a list, lol!

Well, here's a pretty good Virgil then..Double bass on steroids

Hey Bookmark this site..damn..it has everybody that ever hit a rim-shot!! Old stuff too..

For instance..Buddy Dude

Jeez..it gets worse: John Henry Bonham Doing Moby Dick Losing More Youngsters (but not as bad as the Sandy one).

Whew..that was 1970..I want a urine sample please..(does a nice no stick routine)..before they had a pedal for double bass..that's fer sure!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back