It doesn't get any easier. No matter what they say! (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member
I remember my dad telling me 40 plus years ago, that one day your heroes in Drag Racing and your favorite
Rock & Roll bands (members) will pass. It's part of life. It doesn't get any easier! It has really sucked the last
decade or so, losing Drag Racers and the Rock & Roll community.

Robbie Robertson lead guitarist and songwriter of The Band passed yesterday. Never saw them in concert,
but have most of there albums. They played there last show on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1976 at
Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco (I was a senior in high school). Here is one from that Thanksgiving Day,
with the late Rick Danko on bass and lead vocals and Robbie on guitar and the rest of The Band.
For sure my favorite song from The Band.

Last edited:
“The Night They Drive Old Dixie Down” has long been one of my favorite songs.
It was written by Robertson, and sung by Arkansas’ own Levon Helm (RIP).

“The Night They Drive Old Dixie Down” has long been one of my favorite songs.
It was written by Robertson, and sung by Arkansas’ own Levon Helm (RIP).
Yes, Levon was from Arkansas and the rest of The Band from Canada.
Ted, did you ever see The Band in concert?

Last edited:
Jim, I never got the opportunity to see The Band in concert.
About 10 years ago a buddy of mine, who ran a leather shop in Fayetteville, Arkansas died when his shop burned and he couldn’t get out.
A local club held a benefit concert for my friend.
A nephew of Helm played drums in one of the groups that performed.
Family genetics were obvious. His voice was close to Levon’s.
Trivia time; remember the Mark Walhberg movie “The Shooter”?
The old man in the cabin who Wahlberg went to for advice about long range shooting was Levon Helm.

seem to get on a 'band' kick every so many years, and have been again lately, so to hear of robbie's passing is difficult.
he has written so much beautiful solo material as well......jim, i agree, my fav. 'band' tune is also 'it makes no difference'.
has anyone watched the movie 'band of brothers' on netflix, narrated by robbie? somebody in that movie referred to the band,
as the american beatles; talent oozing from each member.......here's another favorite of mine from the last waltz, plus
a little commentary from levon, who is also missed dearly.

seem to get on a 'band' kick every so many years, and have been again lately, so to hear of robbie's passing is difficult.
he has written so much beautiful solo material as well......jim, i agree, my fav. 'band' tune is also 'it makes no difference'.
has anyone watched the movie 'band of brothers' on netflix, narrated by robbie? somebody in that movie referred to the band,
as the american beatles; talent oozing from each member.......here's another favorite of mine from the last waltz, plus
a little commentary from levon, who is also missed dearly.
Remember going to the record store in 1987, to buy this gem from Robbie.
1987 album. Showdown At Big Sky-Robbie Robertson

No. Thanks for the heads up!
i watched it sometime in the last year, then recently watched it again.
my error, name of movie is 'once were brothers', and i mite be wrong about netflix. it could be hulu.
suffice to say it's streaming somewhere, and it's excellent.

i watched it sometime in the last year, then recently watched it again.
my error, name of movie is 'once were brothers', and i mite be wrong about netflix. it could be hulu.
suffice to say it's streaming somewhere, and it's excellent.
Thanks! I’ll look around for it

I remember my dad telling me 40 plus years ago, that one day your heroes in Drag Racing and your favorite
Rock & Roll bands (members) will pass. It's part of life. It doesn't get any easier! It has really sucked the last
decade or so, losing Drag Racers and the Rock & Roll community.

Robbie Robertson lead guitarist and songwriter of The Band passed yesterday. Never saw them in concert,
but have most of there albums. They played there last show on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1976 at
Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco (I was a senior in high school). Here is one from that Thanksgiving Day,
with the late Rick Danko on bass and lead vocals and Robbie on guitar and the rest of The Band.
For sure my favorite song from The Band.

Back when I worked at Ed Pinks (1975-76) a lot of us, Pat Foster, who worked there at the time, Phil? who ran the power hone at Pinks, Don the Beachcomber Johnson (who lived in North Hollywood back then) and a bunch of the other guys, use to go out to The Sundance Saloon in Calabasas on Tuesday nights as it was their jam night. Now the Sundance Saloon was just an old house about 1000 sq ft. on the left side of the road as you entered the small town of Calabasas, the owner was an older woman named Helen, and they only served beer, it had a few small tables, but a lot of people sat on the bar as it was a real small place.

A lot of rock stars would show up to jam on Tuesday nights, as it was close by to Topanga and Laural Canyon, the list of players was long and quite famous Donavan, Phil Everly, Albert Lee, and a bunch of session players, also Rick Danko from the band was almost always there singing and playing. These guys almost always played old country songs mostly the classics, like long black veil, etc.

Beachcomber loved it so much that he had a pretty extensive LP collection of classic old country and some of the newer stuff that reflected what the players were doing back then, he always had a LP on whenever we went over to his place.

Great times Great music, and a lot of great friends, and artists who have passed on.

Back when I worked at Ed Pinks (1975-76) a lot of us, Pat Foster, who worked there at the time, Phil? who ran the power hone at Pinks, Don the Beachcomber Johnson (who lived in North Hollywood back then) and a bunch of the other guys, use to go out to The Sundance Saloon in Calabasas on Tuesday nights as it was their jam night. Now the Sundance Saloon was just an old house about 1000 sq ft. on the left side of the road as you entered the small town of Calabasas, the owner was an older woman named Helen, and they only served beer, it had a few small tables, but a lot of people sat on the bar as it was a real small place.

A lot of rock stars would show up to jam on Tuesday nights, as it was close by to Topanga and Laural Canyon, the list of players was long and quite famous Donavan, Phil Everly, Albert Lee, and a bunch of session players, also Rick Danko from the band was almost always there singing and playing. These guys almost always played old country songs mostly the classics, like long black veil, etc.

Beachcomber loved it so much that he had a pretty extensive LP collection of classic old country and some of the newer stuff that reflected what the players were doing back then, he always had a LP on whenever we went over to his place.

Great times Great music, and a lot of great friends, and artists who have passed on.
Wow, great post Jeff. I would have loved to hung with you and Ed, Pat, the Beachcomber at the Sundance. And the great
artist's you saw. I'm glad you mentioned session players, there has been some great ones over the years.
And Laurel Canyon, not sure if I would have made it out of there in the mid to late 60s. I would probably still be there...LOL

And those on here, who don't know who Jeff is. Look below.

1691780116716.png

AA/FC Jeff Courtie in the seat. Once again I love the canard wings
1691780286557.png

AA/FC Jeff Courtie in the seat. I believe this was Jeff first nitro flopper?

Wow, great post Jeff. I would have loved to hung with you and Ed, Pat, the Beachcomber at the Sundance. And the great
artist's you saw. I'm glad you mentioned session players, there has been some great ones over the years.
And Laurel Canyon, not sure if I would have made it out of there in the mid to late 60s. I would probably still be there...LOL

And those on here, who don't know who Jeff is. Look below.

View attachment 13176
AA/FC Jeff Courtie in the seat. Once again I love the canard wings
View attachment 13177
AA/FC Jeff Courtie in the seat. I believe this was Jeff first nitro flopper?
Thanks Jim,

The top photo is at Irwindale, 1973 that's Cuda #2 as my first body a 1972 Cuda went airborne and was destroyed after a halftrack wheel stand one night in late 1972 at OCIR, that's the 73 Cuda-body mounted lower.

The lower photo is from 1971 at I think OCIR? maybe Irwindale, (I've Never seen this photo before so thanks for posting it)
My first F/C. a 1969 Mustang, 392 high gear only.

I've posted a photo from 1975 at OCIR racing Sush Matsubra in Joe Piasons Car

Attachments

• Jeff Courtie 1975 OCIR Bob McCluge Photo.jpg
    Jeff Courtie 1975 OCIR Bob McCluge Photo.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Jim,

The top photo is at Irwindale, 1973 that's Cuda #2 as my first body a 1972 Cuda went airborne and was destroyed after a halftrack wheel stand one night in late 1972 at OCIR, that's the 73 Cuda-body mounted lower.

The lower photo is from 1971 at I think OCIR? maybe Irwindale, (I've Never seen this photo before so thanks for posting it)
My first F/C. a 1969 Mustang, 392 high gear only.

I've posted a photo from 1975 at OCIR racing Sush Matsubra in Joe Piasons Car
Once again Jeff, thanks for posting the information. I just love this stuff "The Good Old Days" I've only been going to
the drags since 1968 (9 years old). Yikes thats been 55 years ago. But I learn something new everyday when people like
you post. And yes the Mustang photo is from OCIR.

Last edited:
how great bands start out as best pals, but work gets in the way of great friendships and eventually causes their demise.
levon hated robbie in the end. sad.

how great bands start out as best pals, but work gets in the way of great friendships and eventually causes their demise.
levon hated robbie in the end. sad.
Look at what happened to The Beatles.
But, on the other hand, The Rolling Stones are the exception.

Look at what happened to The Beatles.
But, on the other hand, The Rolling Stones are the exception.

Rick Danco singing lead on "Long Black Veil" he sang this song a lot back at the Sundance Saloon in the seventies. (I think it was one of Ricks favorites.)

I saw a documentary on Levon Helm filmed at his house I think up in New York State? just before he died, He said he thought that Robbie Robinson didn't give him his rightful co-writing credits on a lot of the band's hits.
Levon sang lead on a lot of the Band's hits.

I saw a documentary on Levon Helm filmed at his house I think up in New York State? just before he died, He said he thought that Robbie Robinson didn't give him his rightful co-writing credits on a lot of the band's hits.
Levon sang lead on a lot of the Band's hits.
After seeing Levons performance in Shooter, I wanted to learn more about him. That's when I learned who he was and what he did. A++ in my book.

Woodstock NY.
Ain't in It for My Health: A Film about Levon Helm https://g.co/kgs/LoryjB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back