Rickie Smith's "Country Shindig" Photo (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
A friend of mine, Wilma McKenzie, took this photo at Commerce, Georgia in 1976. I was at this race but didn't take a camera. This Maverick was a real screamer with a five-speed trans as I remember. I think it was about forth or fifth round, Rickie beat Don Bowles "Little Coal Digger" Maverick in a heads-up race I believe. Bowles had Jack Roush power in his car. Those were the days!

Here's another classic photo, Rickie and another "Big" name in engine building. Anybody recognize who it is?

Wayne.
RICKIE.jpg

WHO.jpg

Last edited:
Careful now, we don't want to be called out for blowing Trickie Rickie's horn now do we? ;)

That's badass, never saw that one before!

More curiously, what ever happened to Donald Bowles . I remember his killer Fairmont Super Modified. Had one Roush motor in the car and another in the trailer. The coal baron didn't know this was supposed to be an "economy class" ?

That is one BADASS! ride. Love the airbrush work and the personality of the scheme and name on the side. I miss when pro cars would have those cool names on the doors. Oh, and dig that beard, lol. Looks like Hank Williams Jr. in the car! :D

(Just funnin' ya Amanda!)

That is one BADASS! ride. Love the airbrush work and the personality of the scheme and name on the side. I miss when pro cars would have those cool names on the doors. Oh, and dig that beard, lol. Looks like Hank Williams Jr. in the car! :D

(Just funnin' ya Amanda!)

I agree. The nicknames were part of the entertainment. Monster trucks get that part. The owner/driver working on his stuff and looking real.

How awesome is it to see his kid(s) going that nuts over a pic he's probably never seen before? That's just cool.

Now, if you could get Rickie on here! I tried talking to Bob Glidden a few years ago about coming on with no luck.

What would be fun would be to see fomer competitors on here talking about this race or that race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
How about dad??? Dad was hired to help Tom Hammonds this weekend, and put him in the show with the quickest 60ft of the weekend.. (.972 ) He said Tom has good power but the carbs are messed up... The car is running lean... Not to bad for an old man...LOL....

Looks like he is having a real Country Shindig. LOL

I said that on that other post that got all the crap.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back