Return Of Top Fuel Among Plans For IHRA (1 Viewer)

What is not clear at least to me is, are the big classes, TF, FC etc. a booked in traveling show or is it open competition with qualifying, points, yada, yada. A booked in show will probably not be a success. They would have to buy TV time and few would watch it. Event attendance may be a challenge too. With 16 dates only a few NHRA cars would attend here and there. Most old IHRA TF teams are gone and starting a new TF team is serious $$$. Dunn will have to convince potential team owners IHRA will be around for years and that will be a hard sell especially to those who have been burned by IHRA before. Good luck Mike Dunn. You are going to need it.

if I were Dunn/IHRA, I would come up with a set of rules that would make Top Fuel & Funny car equal in performance, such that both types of cars could compete in one nitro class . This way the sanctioning body could draw from both pools of nitro cars available around the country in order to fill up a 8 or 16 car field and at the same time slow the Top fuelers down to safely run the quarter mile.

Still quite a few budgeted Top Fuel teams around that I think would be glad to have a venue to compete that wouldn't cost a fortune blowing up stuff trying to compete. I don't think getting 8 to 12 cars to each event would be a problem if the purse and such were present. I also think this could be a great venue to get back to the throttle whacks, longer burnouts, and quarter mile racing that fans want and we'll never likely see at the NHRA again.

Interesting comment: A booked in show will probably not be a success.

This is what NASCAR is doing with going to 36 charter teams and only leaving four openings for other teams.

Time will tell if it works and the fans like it.

Jim Hill
http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Since the DRO series is done the IHRA should make sure they continue giving the nostalgia cars a place to run. I'd also like to see TAFC back as a class. I really liked the IHRA of the late 90's/early 2000's, that was some very good racing.

I agree on the TAFC class coming back. It would certainly help the show. Plenty of them out there as many are racing with altered bodies or in small race groups. The booked-in show has to go! No doubt about that. Rules need to be changed to allow other engine types...BBC, MBR, KB, KB Olds, etc. I'm tired of all the same hemis from Brad or AJ...boring. A good TV series like what the NHRA has with FS1.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back