Return of the Austins (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I read somewhere that Pat Austin's son Drew is driving an injected fuel, front engine dragster. I think the circuit they run is NAFRA. I'd love to see pics of the car, I think it's great that they're out there. Pat never should have left, if my memory is correct, he and his dad put a ton of work into developing a new Ford blown alky motor, and NHRA nixed it. I think that's when they felt that was enough fun for them. Good to see them racing again.

Bucky Austin will be driving a big show Funny Car in Seattle.

Very cool. I know he's been active in the nostalgia cars, but it'll be great to see him race AA/FC. Some of my best memories of the 80's was the absolutely fierce alcohol wars. It seemed anyone could win at any time. Funny car seemed especially tough. Walt and Pat had it down, but I always rooted for Bucky, and Phelps' Bad Moon Rising.

The car has Bucky's in big letters on the side this weekend. Hale didn't make the quick 12 yesterday and ended up #14. They get two more tries today.

Now that there are usually 16-18 cars at each event, they really should drop the "provisional 12" or whatever it is and go back to the regular deal. Ironically, I think PS was the biggest reason for this, and now it's probably the class having the toughest time getting 16 cars. So the top 12 deal is almost silly now.

Getting back to the original intent of this thread, did anyone else click the link Mark posted above? Austin's FED is badass, and I bet it has the Ford engine they developed years ago.

That's the Ford engine the Austins developed for Top Alky, but was shot down by the NHRA. And I think it was shortly after that Pat retired.

Same engine that they tried to go TAFC racing with. If I remember correctly, they had a huge investment in to it and NHRA shelved them on a technicality like space between bore or something like that. I'm pretty sure AJ was doing all the hard parts work for them based on a WAR design.

Rumor had it, the Austin's pushed the envelope while they were dominating back in the day and NHRA had an axe to grind. Those guys are real racers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back