Reid & Dunn (1 Viewer)

I never remember Cosell doing any NHRA announcing on WWS...Keith Jackson and Chris Economacki yeah, but never Howard.

I may be wrong I was just a youngen back then... Maybe Howard was doing NASCAR? that Economacki name sounds familiar though!!

But I still say that Diamond P was a GREAT promotor for Drag Racing

Yeah Jon, I was pretty young then too. I`m 40 now, but I can still remember ABC airing the Winters and Indy three months after the fact. I used to check the TV Guide every week to see if drag racing was going to be on that Saturday...usually it was cliff diving from Acapulco (remember that?).

Paul didn't have a chance..and rightfully so..he struggled..and he'd be the first to tell you.

Marty and Mike rock..and a nice combination..relaxed and knowledgeable..very refreshing.

What I don't like is this thread was so predictable. A few will remember Marty getting raosted here!! Mike got roasted!! So we're all happy now..pfft.

It just points out to me..that there are many who do nothing but complain..no matter what the circumstances.

I may be wrong I was just a youngen back then... Maybe Howard was doing NASCAR? that Economacki name sounds familiar though!!

But I still say that Diamond P was a GREAT promotor for Drag Racing

Over the decades Chris Economaki has announced and broadcast many motorsports events. In fact since about 1950, and to this day, he still publishes and writes for National Speed Sports News.

Yeah Jon, I was pretty young then too. I`m 40 now, but I can still remember ABC airing the Winters and Indy three months after the fact. I used to check the TV Guide every week to see if drag racing was going to be on that Saturday...usually it was cliff diving from Acapulco (remember that?).

Yeah I remember the Cliff Diving.. and the Harlem Globetrotters...

And to think how much criticism Marty got last year???:rolleyes:
Joe,

The criticism Marty was getting, for the most part, was about a few clichés he used and uses. That criticism continues today in this thread, and I think those criticisms are pretty petty. Marty knows what he's seeing, who is doing what he's seeing, knows how to pronounce everyone's name, knows what is an event that has a potential impact on a class standings, i.e., he cares enough about what is going on to know about it before he goes on air. ...and it sounds like he likes being there!

I'm not sure if being positive in this thread is legal but I really appreciated their adaptation of a racing broadcast while nobody was racing. Personal interviews, insights and features kept me from switching channels despite the lack of racing. My wife and I watched the entire telecast and really enjoyed it.
Was that wrong?

Keith Jackson did NHRA announcing? I could just hear him now; "Whoa Nelly......We have a Tight 3 car race for the Top fuel Points lead!"

I never understood why they took Paul Page away from open wheel anyway?
Was he not called the voice of Indy?

One night after drag racing was over, a PBR show came on ESPN2. I couldn't believe my ears.....it was Paul Page announcing Bull Riding! And, know what? He was ok. No, really, he was. No blunders, mistakes and he really got excited! I couldn't believe it was the same guy.

and accurate, insightful coverage

I sure miss that old Diamond P stuff too. My favorite "insightful coverage" was the "Who's Hot" segments about KC Spurlocks's grandmother and the ever popular "guy with the SNAKE tatoos on his back!!! Makes me sad to think we will never see the "Who's Hot" story on Frank Manzo shaving the Lucas Oil logo into his back hair...damn.:(

On the topic of announcers, I had not watched Heart Like a Wheel in a couple of years, and I finally got to watch it again yesterday. In the middle of the movie, the scene when Shirley races the funny car, and Connie crashes, Steve Evans was in the tower. Even though it was just a movie, you could hear the passion and enthusiasm in his voice. Espically in the build up to the Kalitta/Garlits race. Nobody better.

i must have missed it - was it announced that Paul Page will no longer
do NHRA shows and Marty is in fact back for the remainder of the year?

i must have missed it - was it announced that Paul Page will no longer
do NHRA shows and Marty is in fact back for the remainder of the year?

I don't think that Paul's been removed. It's just a result of IRL and NHRA not sharing the same weekends. The IRL only has two races left. This weekend they're in Sonoma and then the weekend after the US Nationals the IRL finishes up their season at Chicago (which I'll be at :D ).

Last edited:
I've seen a whole lot more of Hot Rod Fuller and the Valvoline TF dragster than I have of Scott Rigg's #10 car.

Gosh - I haven't noticed the Valvoline Car since Mark Martin drove it.
Foolish economy on Valvoline's part.
Will this portend any problems for the Paynes or Newb?

I guess I am aging myself but after watching "Heart Like A Wheel" the other night I think they should clone Steve Evans and bring him back. No offense Mike and Marty.

Marty sounded great last night, to me he just keeps getting better and better. We're lucky that Marty still wanted to do the non-conflicting races and that the suits at NHRA swallowed their pride and agreed to let him. I really hope we don't lose Marty all together to NASCAR next year, but we'll have to see what happens. I thought for his first drag race that John Kernnan sounded very good last night, I wonder if we'll see more of John in future races.

I really enjoy Marty and Mike but it cracked me up last night when Marty said "Warwent for Wayne Dupey's awwest"

lol. I couldnt' say it right to save my life myself.

I just saw that ESPN named Dr. Jerry Punch to lead the NASCAR broadcasts next year. Hopefully this will mean that we will at least get Marty for part of the season next year, if not the whole season. Personally I really enjoy listening to Marty and hope we can get him back full time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back