Red Lights (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Looking for some comments about the red light problem with the Pro Stock bikes. I find it hard to believe the crew chiefs can not make adjustments to the bike so it will react slower when the clutch is released. It sure makes for a poor show.

I may be completely wrong and misinformed, but didn't they/weren't they going to switch to a different Christmas tree?

i think they would have to change the whole compulink system to do that, not 99% sure but thats what i think!

We had a big thread on this last year, the Compulink will make the adjustment. I thought NHRA was going to make the change this year, but for some reason has not done so. Obviously the next step is to slow the reaction of the bike, which I cannot understand why teams have not done so. Apparently it's easier said than done, otherwise surely it would have happened. You're not going to get a consistant light trying to slow the rider. Something needs to change though, it's a pretty rediculous show like it sits.

How about having each rider take 1 XANAX before going to the staging lanes :D Just a thought....

Mike Dunn did an excellent job of explaining the red light probblems on the last telecast, If you want to know the real deal, about anything pertaining to drag racing, ask Mike

Mike Dunn did an excellent job of explaining the red light probblems on the last telecast, If you want to know the real deal, about anything pertaining to drag racing, ask Mike

I agree. In my opinion, Mike should be the next president of NHRA. He's obviously the only guy that knows pretty much everything there is to know about dragracing.

The strange thing is, every time I see him, I think of him racing his bicycle with the parachute in the movie "Funnycar Summer". :)

Last edited:
I agree. In my opinion, Mike should be the next president of NHRA. He's obviously the only guy that knows pretty much everything there is to know about dragracing.

The strange thing is, every time I see him, I think of him racing his bicycle with the parachute in the move "Funnycar Summer". :)

Me too! I just can't get that one out of my mind. And did you happen to notice that the young big Jim Dunn in Funny Car Summer bears a striking resemblance to what Mike looks like right now, or is it just me?

Me too! I just can't get that one out of my mind. And did you happen to notice that the young big Jim Dunn in Funny Car Summer bears a striking resemblance to what Mike looks like right now, or is it just me?

To assist anyone that hasn't seen the movie..

These are both Mike.

Mike-Dunn-1.jpg

Mike-Dunn-2.jpg

and of course Jim:

Jim-Dunn-1.jpg

Last edited:
Now I've got to go find my copy that movie. I think you're right about Mike looking a lot like his dad. That movie intrigued me enough that at the age of 19 I went out and bought Dickie Harrell's 69 Camaro funnycar. I was going to be a world famous funnycar driver...never happened of course. I had enough money to buy the car, but not enough to race it. Reality is a funny thing.
At least Valerie Harrell has the car now and she and Dale Pulde are restoring it.

My question is; what happened between G'ville & houston?
There was only one red-light in G'ville during eliminations!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The rollout was different at houston than at gainesville... I think the rollout was different from friday to sunday at houston...We have done everything there is to do at slowing the bikes down to quit redlighting....

To assist anyone that hasn't seen the movie..

These are both Mike.

Mike-Dunn-1.jpg

Mike-Dunn-2.jpg

and of course Jim:

Jim-Dunn-1.jpg

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but thanks a bunch for the pictures, Brian! For those who haven't seen it, it has become a bit of a cult classic. I got a copy recently on dvd (cause my vhs version seems to have disappeared) for 9.99. Well worth it--a really nicely done documentary. Watching Jim and Mike loading up to old Ford pickup with the topper before dawn with the beat up old Chapparal trailer in tow, and Mrs. Dunn running out with a bag of sandwiches.....ah, memories

The Matt Smith???

Wait a minute Matt, maybe you will be lucky enough to get an expert to tell you what you need to do to fix this problem:rolleyes: :D

Terry, you're welcome - it's a great movie I watch several times a year, and never get sick of it.

Paul, I apologize for the thread hijack - now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Didn't Pro stock cars go through Redlight Blues a few years back and NHRA slowed the tree for them???:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back