Recommendations for Bakersfield/SoCal/Vegas roadtrip? (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
Long-time lurker here but have been around NHRA since the 70's (1/8 mile at Keokuk, Iowa) and attended numerous National events at Pomona, Mile High, Phoenix, Seattle, as well as Pro Nostalgia races at Woodburn, Oregon, an hour north of us.

This month my son and I will be taking our first-ever trip to the CHRR in Bakersfield and the Las Vegas race the following weekend. Between them we'll visit some SoCal spots and would appreciate any "Take time for ____ along the way…" recommendations. FWIW, we enjoy most-anything related to cars, mechanical/ machining/ woodworking, as well as trout fishing and history. Prefer to spend our $ on attractions and not on expensive lodging/resorts.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeff

• California Hot Rod Reunion
Planning Sunday only; is that foolish? Why?
Haven't bought tickets yet; it doesn't sell out, does it?

• Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley (or Nixon Library in Yorba Linda)

• Petersen Auto Museum
• La Brea Tar Pits?
• Planes of Fame in Chino?
• NHRA Motorsports Museum (sure wish it was open Tuesday!)
We'll drive by the track as well 'cause he's never been there…

Any recommendation for a cheap but ~safe motel somewhat central to those places or in/closer to Pomona?

What route should we take between Pomona and Vegas?

• Hoover Dam

• Las Vegas II
Have reservations at Motel 6 but recommendations for nicer-but-inexpensive alternatives appreciated.
What's your favorite/must-see Vegas show?
What's your favorite, ~inexpensive show?

• Yosemite (wife would like to visit here sometime, too, but we'll likely at least drive through)
• Bodie, CA (ghost town near Yosemite)
• Reno

Back to Oregon…

Jeff, I would go to the reunion on Friday and Saturday. Friday night is the reception at the Double Tree which is a lot of fun and Saturday is the parade and cacklefest which is a show in its self.

Please say hi sometime over the weekend and just so you know, you won't miss another reunion after you go to one;):cool::eek:

Long-time lurker here but have been around NHRA since the 70's (1/8 mile at Keokuk, Iowa) and attended numerous National events at Pomona, Mile High, Phoenix, Seattle, as well as Pro Nostalgia races at Woodburn, Oregon, an hour north of us.

This month my son and I will be taking our first-ever trip to the CHRR in Bakersfield and the Las Vegas race the following weekend. Between them we'll visit some SoCal spots and would appreciate any "Take time for ____ along the way…" recommendations. FWIW, we enjoy most-anything related to cars, mechanical/ machining/ woodworking, as well as trout fishing and history. Prefer to spend our $ on attractions and not on expensive lodging/resorts.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeff

• California Hot Rod Reunion
Planning Sunday only; is that foolish? Why?
Haven't bought tickets yet; it doesn't sell out, does it?

• Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley (or Nixon Library in Yorba Linda)

• Petersen Auto Museum
• La Brea Tar Pits?
• Planes of Fame in Chino?
• NHRA Motorsports Museum (sure wish it was open Tuesday!)
We'll drive by the track as well 'cause he's never been there…

Any recommendation for a cheap but ~safe motel somewhat central to those places or in/closer to Pomona?

What route should we take between Pomona and Vegas?

• Hoover Dam

• Las Vegas II
Have reservations at Motel 6 but recommendations for nicer-but-inexpensive alternatives appreciated.
What's your favorite/must-see Vegas show?
What's your favorite, ~inexpensive show?

• Yosemite (wife would like to visit here sometime, too, but we'll likely at least drive through)
• Bodie, CA (ghost town near Yosemite)
• Reno

Back to Oregon…

Use hotwire.com to book out by Ontario Airport when visiting Pomona.. Can usually get nice rooms at nice hotels for under $60/night.. It's only about 15 mins from the track, including a trip to In n Out Burger. :)

I've stayed everywhere in Vegas.. I HATE staying down on the strip for the race, so I either stay at one of the hotels up by Nellis AFB (Holiday Inn, Super 8) or around Fremont Street. Of course my opinion is based on the fact that I am there to actually work during the races, have a few beers after the day is over, so I'm not going to be much help on the tourist type stuff either.

Better check to see if these venues will be open due to Govt shutdown issues--- Yosemite is closed at this time

Too bad you didn't have more time to plan, and time off....could have hit the trifecta, and gone from the Drag Boats in Lake Havasu (11th-13th) then the following weekend to CHRR, then on to the LV Big Show.

Personally, I would stay clear of LA, but then, I've lived there numerous times. If you do go, I would hit the northern/eastern stuff like the RR Library and the Planes of Fame (for sure, it's great). Once you get into the desert, up on the plateau, there's not much roadside stuff between Hesperia and Vegas to really lure you off the destination.

If you have room, carry two full-size spares. There's some serious stretches of road out there with nothing but blown semi tires ready to ruin your day.

Not sure which route you're taking, but if you're going up through Reno and the Sierras, that's where I would look for things to do if you need "fillers"

Have a blast! Road Trips are still the absolute best!

Sunday at CHRR is not well attended so you'll have no problem in that regard. It has less cars, less people, less stuff going on but it's a lower ticket price IIRC.

Saturday is the cacklefest. That would be my choice over Friday if possible. It has the most people, the most action, the most goings on, the most fun.
(Indy cars are at the Fontana super speedway that night in case you're interested)

Pomona lodging:
I stay at the Ontario Airport Inn. Decent quality, easy access, fair prices and located behind In 'N Out.

Route between Pomona and Vegas:
I have only taken the 15 all the way up so I don't know of other possible routes. Easy drive.

Vegas lodging:
Staying downtown was my scret weapon because it was reasonably priced, easy in-easy out, close to the track, and still has some entertainment nearby. Fremont St. will be a madhouse due to Halloween. But it looks like a new arts/food festival has taken residence downtown the same weekend as the races and the hotels jacked up their prices bigtime in preparation for the art/food people.

I ended up at the Howard Johnson on Craig. Cheap, clean, but not near anything but the track. (but I have since canceled my trips :( )

Good luck, have fun and best wishes. You're gonna have a great time!

Last edited:
Jeff if I may suggest staying in the Pasadena area while in LA which is centrally located for all those places you've mention. All within a hour drive away.

In addition to what others have mention is Bob's Toluca Lake (Burbank) on Friday nights. Another cool museum is the Nuthercutt Collection in Sylmar. It's free to get in the showroom; The Museum

Paul is right, Sunday is good if you want to watch racing as most racers start packing up once eliminated. But to get the full effect in one day, Saturday is the day with the Cacklefest at night.

From Bakersfield go east to hwy 14 north, when you get to Big Pine and Bishop fish away, great trout fishing and a wonderful view of the Sierras with plenty of camping and some affordable hotels.Go over hwy 168 east to hwy 95 east to Vegas, a 3 or 4 hour drive past area 51 and enjoy your trip. That would be my route but then again that is where I live and will be doing the same trip.

And north on Hwy 395 which will take you pass Mammoth Lake through to Reno.

BTW, when does Trout Season end?

And north on Hwy 395 which will take you pass Mammoth Lake through to Reno.......

little further north 120 off 395 takes you west to yosemite (as mentioned if it's open)....yosemite valley is
a jaw dropper, worth the trip if you're into geographical wonders...need at minimum a full day to take it all in.
could road trip for a year around the west coast, what a beautiful region.

Thanks to all who have responded! You've offered many useful tips and recommendations that we had not considered.

Jeff, I would go to the reunion on Friday and Saturday.
If my son can get off work earlier we'll try to make it on Saturday as well. We certainly enjoy the cacklefest each year at Seattle. How late would be too late to be worthwhile on Saturday?

Use hotwire.com to book out by Ontario Airport when visiting Pomona..
I either stay at one of the hotels up by Nellis AFB (Holiday Inn, Super 8) or around Fremont Street.

Thanks for the lodging tips. We'll consider both if there's still availability, otherwise will have to default to previous reservations we made.

Better check to see if these venues will be open due to Govt shutdown issues--- Yosemite is closed at this time

Thanks, I hadn't considered this. Bummer.

Too bad you didn't have more time to plan, and time off....could have hit the trifecta, and gone from the Drag Boats in Lake Havasu (11th-13th) then the following weekend to CHRR, then on to the LV Big Show.
If you have room, carry two full-size spares. There's some serious stretches of road out there with nothing but blown semi tires ready to ruin your day.
Have a blast! Road Trips are still the absolute best!

We actually considered adding the drag boat races but it didn't work out. And thanks for the comment re: a 2nd spare. I saved a tire when I bought the current set for that purpose and located a wheel yesterday.

Sunday at CHRR is not well attended so you'll have no problem in that regard. It has less cars, less people, less stuff going on but it's a lower ticket price IIRC.
Pomona lodging:
I stay at the Ontario Airport Inn. Decent quality, easy access, fair prices and located behind In 'N Out.

Route between Pomona and Vegas:
I have only taken the 15 all the way up so I don't know of other possible routes. Easy drive.
Good luck, have fun and best wishes. You're gonna have a great time!

Thanks; your comments re: Sunday increase my desire to get there at least later on Saturday. Thanks also for the lodging and route tips.

For a really unique SoCal Automotive Museum try the Automobile Driving Museum ...

Looks interesting; we'll discuss it on the drive down.

Jeff if I may suggest staying in the Pasadena area while in LA which is centrally located for all those places you've mention. All within a hour drive away.

Thanks for the Pasadena suggestion; it does look to be a good location if we choose to stay in one place in the area.

From Bakersfield go east to hwy 14 north, when you get to Big Pine and Bishop fish away, great trout fishing and a wonderful view of the Sierras with plenty of camping and some affordable hotels.Go over hwy 168 east to hwy 95 east to Vegas, a 3 or 4 hour drive past area 51 and enjoy your trip. That would be my route but then again that is where I live and will be doing the same trip.

Ed, thanks for the trout fishing tip. The rods are still in the pickup so we'll be prepared if we choose that option! More likely on a future trip, though, because my son has never been to the NHRA Museum and we've been looking forward to that maybe as much as the races. I was fortunate enough to meet Wally and Barbara Parks at the Museum one year before the Finals. "TV" Tommy Ivo was with them and when I asked if I could take their picture Wally said, "Sure," and afterwards he asked "TV" to take my/Wally's picture with my camera. Treasures like that reinforce what was cool about Wally and what's still cool about the drag racing community.

Again, thanks, everyone for your thoughtful, helpful recommendations!

-Jeff

Round 1 for the fuel cars is suppose to be a 3:30 Saturday afternoon followed by the honoree presentation, twilight memorial cacklefest parade, and then the cacklefest so use your own ideas on this one.

See you in a week:D

If it was my first trip to the museum, that to would be my choice. Is there any meet up's there,seems a lot of you know this area, would be nice to meet the people we read about.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back