Ratings down for NHRA/ESPN2 show (1 Viewer)

PJ, I’m not suggesting that your efforts to get the points system changed are “wrong.” I’m only suggesting that it’s not going to happen. In terms of the ratings being in decline, that’s not entirely accurate. They’ve fluctuated right along with the ratings for other forms of motorsports.

The one thing that I don’t think has been mentioned yet is television itself, and how it’s changed. We can never forget that we’re no longer a nation of three stations – CBS, NBC and ABC. Our viewing choices now number in the hundreds, and that’s resulted in almost every program’s overall ratings being somewhat below what they once were. Again using generalities, a sponsor who was once “satisfied” with his show pulling in an audience of 12 million may have resigned himself to being satisfied with an audience of 9 million. Look at some of the shows that are considered “hits” today and then compare their numbers. Shows that pull 2 million viewers are touted as major successes these days.

True, 600,000 viewers isn’t what we’d like it to be for an NHRA telecast, but it’s better than 400,000 – or 300,000.

There are often seemingly radical ideas suggested to the NHRA (such as the “Pro Stock Saturday” concept), that are almost always summarily rejected. One – just ONE -- of the problems with any radical idea suggested to the NHRA is that it comes from outside the confines of 2035 Financial Way. The company has traditionally been unresponsive to radical new approaches that come from “outsiders.” That may not be right, but it is true.

There is also a lot of truth to the aging of the NHRA fan, and NHRA is consciously aware of and very concerned about it. Without going into the whole thing again, that’s one of the reasons NHRA got involved in Sport Compact racing. They were hoping to attract more 20-somethings to the “regular” NHRA national event shows.

Jim Gunther mentions a grass roots oriented outreach program, but things like that cost money and take time and unfortunately, in trying financial times NHRA isn’t likely to make an investment like that without being able to spot absolutely, measurable results, and quickly. Some racers have done an excellent job of selling the sport at the high school and jr. high school levels for years, largely through efforts back by their sponsors. All the way from the days he was backed by Slick 50 and up through his years with Snap-on Tools and WyoTech, Steve Johnson has worked non-stop to promote drag racing to school age youngsters. It could actually be said that Steve devoted so much time and effort to those programs than his racing suffered for it. And what does Steve have to show for all of that? Has he ever received so much as an “attaboy” from NHRA management? I kind of doubt it.

Sorry, John Panuzzo, but I personally reject your slower-car-gets-lane-choice concept as being just one more idea that, if instituted, would only end up confusing the fans. For example, how many fans understand, and does NHRA ever make any effort to explain, why there are only 12 cars listed as “qualifiers” on Friday night?

Rob McCabe is right. God save us if Paul Page or Mike Dunn starts spouting off like DW does on the Cup telecasts with that “Boogity, boogity” garbage. Talk about talking “down” to your audience. That and that stupid “Digger” have helped convince discerning viewers that the NASCAR fan truly is a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal. One wonders if that might be at least a small reason ratings are down over there. Please. Don’t start ranting back, but do you honestly think an intelligent race viewer is interested in seeing a cartoon about Digger? The guy turned in to see a race, not a Saturday morning cartoon show!

You can forget seeing Pro Mods on the telecast. They’re considered “exhibition” vehicles and nothing more, and NHRA doesn’t even give the sponsor the courtesy of having those cars participate in the winners circle, nor do they include the results in the sheets handed out to the media. Appear on the telecasts? Not happening.

In the last few years I have been asked at least three times by someone from NHRA why the drivers are so often smiling, laughing and hugging one another at the top end rather than reacting as real rivals. I’ve suggested the laughing and hugging is probably a result of the fact that they’re just happy they survived another 300 mph run as much as anything else.

Rivalries absolutely help build television interest. What, pray tell, is professional wrestling all about if it’s not rivalries, manufactured or not? I’m not suggesting drag racing go that far, but as others have said, Whit Bazemore was great for our sport because of his willingness to speak his mind. Now no one does for fear of offending a sponsor or team owner or who knows who else. And while we recognize that “National Dragster” and nhra.com are house organs whose job it is to promote every positive about NHRA Drag Racing, it’s unlikely that the reporters who work for those outlets would write accurately and completely about a rivalry, and I’m not complaining about that. That’s the nature of those jobs.

Let me cite a somewhat related scenario. Years ago, when Kenny Bernstein unveiled the butt-ugly Batmobile Buick at the pre-Winternationals deal at Firebird, the announcer said words to the effect that “This doesn’t look like any Buick I ever saw.” An NHRA official charged into the announcing deck and said, “We cant have you talking about our World Champion like that.” Left unsaid was “And God forbid you offend Budweiser, too.” So, what do you think the odds are of NHRA itself reporting the gritty truth about a nasty rivalry?

What is wrong with things like the inimitable statement of Richard Tharp’s when he said, “Shirley Muldowney? I’d like to punch her in the moth!” It generated excitement and interest.

I have heard dozens of racers, in private conversations with me, go “off” on some other driver – but they will not say that stuff in public or in front of the fans for fear of the ramifications, and like it or not, NHRA does not help in this area. If a driver suddenly becomes too outspoken he’s liable to be fined for his actions. Case in point, Larry Morgan about Brainerd some years ago. He voiced an OPINION that the track was unsafe. He did not make a factual statement that it wasn’t safe, i.e., he didn’t say, “There’s a pot hole five feet wide and a foot deep in the left lane at 800 feet, so the track is dangerous.” They fined him five grand for that simply voicing his opinion of the track. Think Larry’s likely to say anything else?

What our telecasts need is the pit reporter sticking his microphone in some driver’s face prior to the final round and asking, “What do you think your chances are against Driver X?”

“I’m gonna kick his ass. He’s kind of a jerk, although you guys never report that, and our team is better in every way. He’s toast!”

I’ll still be waiting for that one 20 years from now.

Jon Asher

Tim's Quick fire extension of what Mr Ash said...'CHICKEN LITTLE NEED TO REMEMBER IDEA TO NHRA FALL ON DEAF EAR' :)
Thanks Jon. :)

Re: NHRA TV Ratings

Do you think anyone in the military would like to go on Saturday or Sunday with a discount? Why do they only qualify for a discount on Fridays?

I thought NHRA's decision to give military discounts only on Friday's was cheap and self serving. What person in the military (stationed in the US) has Friday off? Guess the NHRA only wants to show their gratitude to the military on Fridays.

Re: Ratings down - work on the demographics!

I agree Jim, but how many 18-24 year olds are going to fork out $50-60 for a day at the track? I doubt very few do anyway. NHRA has simply made this sport to expensive for younger adults and families!

A Promotion with local High schools would be a great idea! Maybe pass out $10 off Vouchers to local Auto shop teachers at area High schools.

Ever been to a SX race? It's packed with 18-24 yr olds that payed $50+ for a ticket.
I say the cost to race a car in that age group is far greater than what they make on the job. Just a 750 cfm 4150 HP Carburetor Kit = $780. When the average kid makes $12-15 per hour that's more than a weeks pay with out paying taxes.

I am a daily watcher of Sports Center on ESPN which they have consistently noted that NASCAR ratings have been down and spectator attendance is low compared to years prior. In times like this people are forced to cut back…I think that is the major player in this reason of decrease. If everyone remembers just a few years ago ESPN helped to boost the coverage and ratings of NHRA drag racing. NHRA is hurting just like most everyone else in this country is.
I read a great article which everyone can read here (How the NHRA’s Missing the Boat - FastMachines.com). Though NHRA and NASCAR will always be compared, author of this piece, Jory Elliot brings up some great points that could help explain why NHRA is not operating at full potential. The main point is the lack of youthful drivers in the sport. If you look at NASCAR the fields are full of young drivers that help attract younger audiences. NHRA is more so “He who has the money, is who drives”. Now I may be a bit bias being a young driver myself, but in all reality I think NHRA would be more marketable with more Spencer Massey’s. Snake is ahead of the game IMO and I think that is a good reason why he has been financially secure to race for as long as he has. If team owners don’t plan for the future there is good chance we could see participants and sponsors at the highest levels fall off. NHRA is probably the only sport I know of where the professional level drivers are based on sponsor money than talents. Even NASCAR scouts their drivers...Not that NHRA needs to continue to follow in the footsteps of NASCAR but I think there is something to be noticed there.

Ever been to a SX race? It's packed with 18-24 yr olds that payed $50+ for a ticket.
I say the cost to race a car in that age group is far greater than what they make on the job. Just a 750 cfm 4150 HP Carburetor Kit = $780. When the average kid makes $12-15 per hour that's more than a weeks pay with out paying taxes.

Joe & Harry - I agree with both of you. NHRA is an expensive show...somewhat. I live about 30 min from Sacramento and to go watch the Sacramento Kings play a 2 hour game of basketball it is $125 for a mid-lower level seat. My Autolite Nationals tickets were $135 for the entire weekend. Keep in mind this is the big show. One thing that I think would help out is the lower level tracks getting involved with teenagers. Both Sonoma and Sacramento have a street legal drags night where for like $10 bucks you get to bracket race your daily driver. Denver does a great job getting the local youth involved. I think the fact that most younger people can't participate like baseball or basketball, where you can go to a park and hit a ball or shoot hoops, hurts the sport. Tracks need to create programs where the younger crowed can come out and race! You don't need a high dollar race car to just have fun....just someone in the other lane to compete against. Cause as fast as we all like to go, I'm sure all of you would jump at the opportunity to whip up on a fellow racer in a golf cart race! It's the act of competing in an organized manner that interest younger people. You watch A-Rod hit a homerun you sign up for little league, you view Labron James dunk you sign up for youth basketball....We need that for Drag Racing, and in more than just the Jr Dragster program.

SELLING IT THROUGH SOLID ADVERTISING OUTSIDE OF THE NHRA SHOW MIGHT THOUGH.

Bingo!!! There are only like, what, 3 sponsors who even use NHRA in their campaigns. And, with the exception of NAPA, they only show the ad's during the action...

NHRA does no advertising of their own and I don't see why they can't. NHRA's current m.o. is now the exact opposite of what made the sport grow throughout history. They don't even promote themselves anymore. Leaving it up to local track owners won't cut it.

The "Saftey Safari" or a new version thereof, needs to make a comeback and barnstorm local high schools, shopping malls and primetime network programming... NHRA might be better served to shorten the broadcasts for a few years and instead spend some dough making infomercials...

Cutting a few events and spending cash on a few "big payout" match races outside of "league play" might create some buzz too...

You can forget seeing Pro Mods on the telecast. They’re considered “exhibition” vehicles and nothing more, and NHRA doesn’t even give the sponsor the courtesy of having those cars participate in the winners circle, nor do they include the results in the sheets handed out to the media. Appear on the telecasts? Not happening.

They Outlawed Pro Mod for the longest time, while IHRA embraced it, NHRA made it look like an ugly duckling, and they still slight the Pro Mods even if they have them compete at events, you see Top Sportsman only run once (next year Twice including Chicago) during the national event Trail, shows what they think of "outlaw" race cars, dragsters and doorslammers alike.

Plus I remember about 10 years ago when IHRA had commercials taking Shots at the NHRA saying that the IHRA was better because they had Pro Mods, Top Fuel Harleys and much more (Mountain Motor Pro Stocks, Night of Fire, Top Sportsman/Top Dragster etc) scary thing is despite the lacking of categories on the "I side" this year with no Funny Car classes (Nitro or alky), they seem to have a nose out on NHRA just because of it's selling points one of which is the aforementioned Night of Fire

Nascar coverage starts on time usually. I got tired of chasing the NHRA time slot with womens pro weegie reading. Screw it.

BINGO.. Aggravating and frustrating. how many times can you get ready to sit and watch Drag racing and have the dumbest stuff on instead? Not worth the aggravation.

BINGO.. Aggravating and frustrating. how many times can you get ready to sit and watch Drag racing and have the dumbest stuff on instead? Not worth the aggravation.

Like bass fishing. How can catching a fish be more entertaining than a 300mph blast? :confused:

BTW, to the people who want "trash talking:" Please, I tuned into an import drag race one day and the trash talking was about as corny as those Honda Civic DX's with the fart cannon and basket-handle wing. No thanks.

Oh, and about the "We need more Whit Bazemore" types: no, we don't. There is a difference between speaking your mind and being a jerk. WJ on E-town's telecast saying how he likes coming to the northeast because of how the people are is speaking his mind. Whit shouting "Don't call him my teammate!" on national TV is being a jerk.

Re: Ratings down - work on the demographics!

What exactly is an SX race??

Like bass fishing. How can catching a fish be more entertaining than a 300mph blast? :confused:

The prize money at ONE of those bass fishing tournaments often exceeds the season championship money in the NHRA. And I'm betting all the boat and tackle needed to win one isn't a fraction of what it costs to run a fuel race operation for a day. :eek:

The prize money at ONE of those bass fishing tournaments often exceeds the season championship money in the NHRA. And I'm betting all the boat and tackle needed to win one isn't a fraction of what it costs to run a fuel race operation for a day. :eek:

i will go one further. How many people drag race vs how many people fish in America? I have the numbers but how bout some guesses?

You're right Jon, I don't expect them to change it but I can still hope.

and Paul, like I said from the very beginning, my hope was that someone with a bigger voice taking it and running with it. I'm just a nobody fan and wannabe street car racer, it has and always will need a bigger voice behind it. While I have had drivers tell me how much they hate it (yes without saying who I am, not that they would know anyway) none can say so more publically for fear and retribution. I doubt Glendora is even aware of it. If I recall even your dad saw the light last year and you wavered a little. Deep down you know this isn't the best way:)

i will go one further. How many people drag race vs how many people fish in America? I have the numbers but how bout some guesses?

You ever seen the size of a Bass Pro Shop or Cabella's store? You don't build stores the size of many stadiums (over a quarter-million square feet) if you're not expecting a lot of business...

And they do a lot of business -- those two companies do more than $5 Billion a year in business combined. :eek:

By comparison, the latest figures I have show Jegs and Summit together doing far less than 1% of that... :eek:

You're right Jon, I don't expect them to change it but I can still hope.

and Paul, like I said from the very beginning, my hope was that someone with a bigger voice taking it and running with it. I'm just a nobody fan and wannabe street car racer, it has and always will need a bigger voice behind it. While I have had drivers tell me how much they hate it (yes without saying who I am, not that they would know anyway) none can say so more publically for fear and retribution. I doubt Glendora is even aware of it. If I recall even your dad saw the light last year and you wavered a little. Deep down you know this isn't the best way:)

I am just staying in shape getting ready for November when the crap hits the fan with people crying the real champion should be someone else. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back