Ratings down for NHRA/ESPN2 show (1 Viewer)

Would it be easier to sell sponsorship knowing that Robert Height (for example) will definitely be running Sunday. Also would it help drivers in the top 10 keep a ride?
Honestly I kind of like that you have to race into the field every week but I've also been irked when I've gone to a race and my favorite Funny Car driver doesn't make the field (Robert in Bristol.... crushing!)

As someone who volunteers for the team that knocked Hight out of the Bristol race (Andy Kelley) I say no :D.

If anything it should be like the old IHRA format of 1 v 8, 9 v 16 etc . . .

I think the racing would be much more side by side over Ashley blowing out anyone first round. Isn't that one of the points anyways? To have more closer finishes?

It would be neat if NHRA could develop a grass-roots oriented outreach program - a "bring a young person to the race" deal. Promote it to High Schools (Shop Classes would seem to be a natural target) and also encourage current fans (with a qualified discount deal) to bring a young person or two to Friday Qualifying.

Its already that way with the Army deal the NHRA has.

Next time you go to a race on friday or saturday look for all the kids with the ARMY STRONG camo sling paks. They got in for free . . . AND the races during the school year have plenty of tech/vocational/high school students there. At the atlanta race there must have been 200-300 high school students in attendance when I passed by the Army tents (next to the staging lanes in case you were wondering).

Oh yeah, it's much better watching a bunch of fill in leakers and boomers waste their time doing a burnout and staging when they don't stand a chance in hell of winning a round unless the other guy screws up worse. They should just let the 8 or 10 " real " teams show up and go for an 8 car field until the economy turns around. Talk about sleeping pill city.

I hope you aren't serious.

We bust our ass as much as the "real" teams do with less money, less food, no lodging (we sleep in the trailer), and we'll sit down and talk with anyone unless its between rounds. Which other "real" team does that?!?

Or maybe its because it took us 10 passes total on a brand new car to get into the sunday show . . . ?

How many of the "real" teams would show up with a sponsors needed sign on the side of their car with the crew chief's cell phone number under it?

How many of the "real" teams would have their entire crew show up from out of town and take a few days off their real job to run for the weekend?

real teams my foot.

AT ANY RATE

I agree with a lot on here but if the NHRA won't listen then they'll continue to be a distant backseat to NASCAR in terms of coverage and financial stability.

Revamp pro stock was a great idea.
But then it might look like . . . GASP . . . ADRL. And we wonder why their stands are PACKED for every race. :confused:

I think the prime mover behind most of the actual racing of the NHRA is the fact that people are attracted to pushing the limits of what is possible. The nitro cars are always riding a fine line . . . but the other classes are cookie-cutter cars that look the same, sound the same (I know if you are a true fan they don't, whatever), and the drivers talk the same.

I think thats why ADRL is so exciting to watch because everyone is trying to figure out the best combo in XTF and PX and they are all different in some way. You have "low" buck nitrous combos and high dollar turbo setups.

I am not pushing for an ADRL lite but the NHRA should think about at least changing the name pro STOCK if they want to keep the cars the same.

Heck, let in the mountain motors and keep an all-out v8 motor class but not letting in the guys with less cylinders is a huge mistake.

I hear ya!! , but as Jim Head said "we won't be missed". I guess time will tell.

There's a lot folks who said we wouldn't be missed, including a few here. When the NHRA rolls into Seattle two weeks from now I'll be at Qwest Field watching a Seattle Sounders soccer game that will be played before a full house. Following the game we'll be driving down Grays Harbor Raceway in Elma to watch an ASCS sprint car race.

I've been attending the Northwest Nationals for years. Will I miss it? I think not. So I guess my response to Mr. Head is simple: the feeling is mutual.

There's a lot folks who said we wouldn't be missed, including a few here. When the NHRA rolls into Seattle two weeks from now I'll be at Qwest Field watching a Seattle Sounders soccer game that will be played before a full house. Following the game we'll be driving down Grays Harbor Raceway in Elma to watch an ASCS sprint car race.

I've been attending the Northwest Nationals for years. Will I miss it? I think not. So I guess my response to Mr. Head is simple: the feeling is mutual.

Ditto (well, not the Sounders part). I'll be sitting at home, watching the NASCAR race that will actually start when it's supposed to...and recovering from GoodGuys. NOT wasting $100 or more on 1000 ft racing that will look better on my TV (maybe). *sigh* Nobody's gonna be there that I'd spend my time with anyway (excluding our Mater's :D ).

I must admit I haven't read most of the posts in this thread, but I get the jist of it. And these topics always make me smile because I visualize a bunch of fans on Rodeo, bowling, dogs jumping for distance, etc. message boards saying the exact same things that fans here are saying!

And no, I'm not comparing those activities to drag racing; just saying that everyone, or most everyone believes that everyone else should love THEIR activity as much as they do.

Doesn't work that way...never will, thank goodness!

The problem I see that NHRA has is that they are not only not attracting new fans/participants, but they're also LOSING existing ones at a rapid rate! And the economy has very little if anything to do with this fact. Just poor guidance, IMO.

I completely agree with those that have said the show is too long. One hour, hour and a half tops.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back