Random Thoughts-From A Geezer (1 Viewer)

I went to 2 of the Gambler Nartionals Div 7 race. Larry Sutton won T/AD one year. I liked that place. Someone told me that the Vegas track is pretty much in the same location as the old track.

Mark, do you remember the King Rat Camaro F/C? Clyde Morgan Travelin' Javelin? Jack Chrisman Mustang? There are soooo many cars I have forgotten, then see a photo. Some cars I missed cuz I was in USAF 1964-68, altho I read Drag News to keep up. The Zip Code T/F with Arley Langlo. Watched them go from front motor to back motor. Arley was a good driver, but the car was so-so & they blew it up a lot. I always wanted them to win, cuz they were "little guys". Langlo worked for the Post Office. Back then, no one knew what "going postal" meant.

I think Lions is #1, just cuz I saw so much history there, including Garlits' crash & the next year when he came out with his back motor car. So many great track all over USA & you could make a case for many of them. Yep, Calif Pro Fuel circuit. Went to Carlsbad a few times, never Inyokern. LACR a few times as well. They had Div 7 race there I went to. I correspond with Jimmy Ige on e mail once in a while. He had a great career, won Bakersfield one year. There was a JR/F car at Lions that had Ford engine w/ Dan Gurney heads. Gurney & Hill were 2 of the greats, regardless of the type of racing.

Yes Cliff, saw Gervaise O' Neal try to BBQ himself at Orange County. Clyde Morgan drove some odd stuff.

Ever go to the sand drags and see Top Fuel with dual paddles?

One year I won a class at the sand drags at Pismo Beach. Still have the very small trophy.

Bob Bunker, Dave Riolo were fun drivers and cars to watch.

The O.C.I.R. sing alongside I-5 was really cool.

TopFuel@Lions

Never saw dual paddle T/F live, have seen videos. Firebird once ran sand drags, no "pro" cars, must have been pre-1990. Did go just to see it.

Was Paul Pittman's "Sassy Gremlin" the oddest of the gassers?

Dave Hutchens Gumout Opel may have been the most exciting gas sportsman car.

Al Bush's Crazy Horse blown fuel flatbottom was my favorite drag boat...next to Ray Casseli's "Panic Mouse."

Ever ride in a blown alcohol K-Boat? It is a incredible ride.

Remember the back-up- girl Prudence?

The piston came out of that fuel engine, flew over the right lane stands and landed and went thru the guys hood at Pomona.

Ever sleep in the grandstands to save your seat? I did at Pomona twice!

The Ingram and Jewel altered, the "Jewel T" was one sweet ride.

I saw many a driver killed, was thinking about Jim Plummer's deal at the county.

Ever get to go inside the tower and Lions or Orange County? I did at both. Saw Bernie Mather call some races.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

May I suggest contacting Cindy Gibbs via email (found on the website). If anyone has some left overs, she would.

GINO.....THANK YOU.....CONTACTED CINDY AND I AM SOL.......BUT...THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION..........

GINO.....THANK YOU.....CONTACTED CINDY AND I AM SOL.......BUT...THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION..........

As an event sponsor (Valley Head Service through me) I get some comped event t-shirts. If you want one, I'll get you a shirt and you can consider it "kindness from a stranger." :)

Was Paul Pittman's "Sassy Gremlin" the oddest of the gassers?

Dave Hutchens Gumout Opel may have been the most exciting gas sportsman car.

Al Bush's Crazy Horse blown fuel flatbottom was my favorite drag boat...next to Ray Casseli's "Panic Mouse."

Ever ride in a blown alcohol K-Boat? It is a incredible ride.

Remember the back-up- girl Prudence?

The piston came out of that fuel engine, flew over the right lane stands and landed and went thru the guys hood at Pomona.

Ever sleep in the grandstands to save your seat? I did at Pomona twice!

The Ingram and Jewel altered, the "Jewel T" was one sweet ride.

I saw many a driver killed, was thinking about Jim Plummer's deal at the county.

Ever get to go inside the tower and Lions or Orange County? I did at both. Saw Bernie Mather call some races.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

First Gfremlin Gaser was he Martin Bros from Texas. Raymond Martin still races in Comp.

Paul Pittman's Sassy Gremlin had a blown Chrysler it in, ran 9.90's if I remember right. Don't remember too many Gremlins with a Chrysler Hemi. I was inside the tower once at Lions. Was pretty small. They had an outside wooden window that they closed when the jet cars ran. I actually remember the food stand in the pits (for whatever reason).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back