Raceway Park to Cease Drag Racing Operations in 2018 (1 Viewer)

I heard someone say that Etown is the Pomona of the East but thats not true.

I said that, and from an historical standpoint it is true. There are few current drag strips on the NHRA calendar that have more history. The feelings of losing Etown are the same as the left-coasters will feel if (when) they lose Pomona. We know at some point most of these old tracks will fall by the wayside, but it doesn't hurt any less. E-town was what I would call one of the majors. Etown and Pomona are like the Wrigley and Fenway of the NHRA. Sure they're not the most beautiful thing and are not the "Bellagio" of racing but the people who step foot inside there know they're somewhere special.

(Purposely leaving Indy out of the discussion because that track stands on its own!)

Well after being in existence for 60+ years, nothing stays the same, including drag racing. Losing E-town is a HUGE loss for the sport, not the just the east coast. And this whole electric car deal baffles me. Has anyone proven that having all of our cars be electric is truly greener? I mean, that electricity is produced somewhere. And, I don't care if someone goes 300 in an electric dragster, IMO fan interest will be gone.

Can someone help me wrap my head around what makes this place so attractive as opposed to just throwing a lot less money at a farmer or someone with dormant land.

I would think having paved storage areas with sufficient access passageways and a secure fenced perimeter with gated entry would be the main criteria that that would make Raceway Park attractive.

I said that, and from an historical standpoint it is true. There are few current drag strips on the NHRA calendar that have more history. The feelings of losing Etown are the same as the left-coasters will feel if (when) they lose Pomona. We know at some point most of these old tracks will fall by the wayside, but it doesn't hurt any less. E-town was what I would call one of the majors. Etown and Pomona are like the Wrigley and Fenway of the NHRA. Sure they're not the most beautiful thing and are not the "Bellagio" of racing but the people who step foot inside there know they're somewhere special.
(Purposely leaving Indy out of the discussion because that track stands on its own!)

Couldn't agree more. It was one of the majors and with almost 50 years of national events, it was TOTALLY the Pomona of the east.

Couldn't agree more. It was one of the majors and with almost 50 years of national events, it was TOTALLY the Pomona of the east.

Dave Moody of SiriusXM NASCAR Radio said this would be comparable to Darlington closing on that side of the fence. I thought that was a fair reference.

Alan

My initial thought that it was pressure from local government and the suburban sprawl that led to this, but there are 75 million reasons why my initial thought was off base. I hate this, but for this and future generations of the Napp family, it's hard to say no to. Almost like the scene in Heaven Can Wait when Warren Beatty bought the Rams. Some offers are impossible to say no to. I hadn't been to E'Town since 2006 or 2007 and had been planning on going this summer. Dammit.

update from the NHRA website
"Upon hearing the news about the Englishtown track, we’ve received a significant level of interest from other track operators about hosting a national event in 2018. We’re not sure if this is possible for 2018, but we’re definitely looking into it, if not for 2018, then perhaps for 2019. "

Alan, I know you probably can't, but if possible could you confirm that those operators are at least Metropolitan tri-state area tracks (NY NJ CT) instead of say, another Carolinas race?

update from the NHRA website
"Upon hearing the news about the Englishtown track, we’ve received a significant level of interest from other track operators about hosting a national event in 2018. We’re not sure if this is possible for 2018, but we’re definitely looking into it, if not for 2018, then perhaps for 2019. "

Alan, I know you probably can't, but if possible could you confirm that those operators are at least Metropolitan tri-state area tracks (NY NJ CT) instead of say, another Carolinas race?

I'm not in the corporate office, I'm a contractor from Arizona. Therefor I am not privy to any of the discussion going on out there.

Sorry, but on this, I can't help.
Alan

I would think having paved storage areas with sufficient access passageways and a secure fenced perimeter with gated entry would be the main criteria that that would make Raceway Park attractive.
Could they purchase or lease land and set it up on their own a lot cheaper than 75 million? I realize this land is ready to use for the most part and maybe that was the issue. I can’t fathom how many vehicles have to pass through there to make it profitable.

Last edited:
Think of how many flood damaged cars were parked at Royal Purple Raceway in Houston,and that would give you an idea of the number of vehicles that could be stored at Englishtown.

Could it be that that location will save them time / money over where they could find land and setup their own lot? Also could a different location run into zoning problems.

What does parking / storage in your area cost?

► 2740 cars * $5 * per day 365 = 5000500

Stan

Could it be that that location will save them time / money over where they could find land and setup their own lot? Also could a different location run into zoning problems.

What does parking / storage in your area cost?

► 2740 cars * $5 * per day 365 = 5000500

Stan

$5 a day? In New Jersey? No place in New Jersey can you park a car for $5 a day. I would guess the number to be more like 5X that, minimum. Long term parking at the Newark Airport is about $20 a day.
Alan

$5 a day? In New Jersey? No place in New Jersey can you park a car for $5 a day. I would guess the number to be more like 5X that, minimum. Long term parking at the Newark Airport is about $20 a day.
Alan
Ya got that right!
Speaking of long term parking....
I had a customer leave his disassembled Vette in my shop for 4 years. At standard impound yard rate (at the time) in NJ of $20 a day, he owed almost 30 grand. Turns out he was hiding the car from his family during divorce.
It ended up selling at public auction for around $9000....

Ya got that right!
Speaking of long term parking....
I had a customer leave his disassembled Vette in my shop for 4 years. At standard impound yard rate (at the time) in NJ of $20 a day, he owed almost 30 grand. Turns out he was hiding the car from his family during divorce.
It ended up selling at public auction for around $9000....

Did you get your storage money or are you still waiting? LOL

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back