Race Day parked for 2011 :( (1 Viewer)

That's a shame. Programming recently moved it to just before the actual race and I thought that was a good lead in. You'd watch Race Day and catch up on qualifying and a few good interviews then right into the race. They could have left it like that and done away with the 2 hour qualifying show. Probably saved some $$$ too.

here is the quote from the article

ESPN will undergo programming changes next year and the 24-hour sports news network ESPNews will be no more. That means an end to the 30-minute NHRA magazine show. What this will mean to NHRA programming on ESPN2, we do not know.

NHRA Today was/is on ESPN2 - what does cancellation of ESPNNews have to
do with NHRA Today?.........obviously sunday time slot pricing went way up.
would expect to see early sunday fishing and hunting shows abscent next
year too - i'm sure they pay ESPN similar money as does NHRA.

Yeah they finally figured out that I wasn't at home at 11am sunday mornings and now the ko'd it. Probably got a better offer from another show/sponsor so they could cut cost with NHRA show/staff.

niche' sport, same as always.
odd that ESPNnews can fail, yet ESPN2 can already forecast, adjust and
set programming for 2011 based on subject matter foreign to particular
times of certain days...........ratings driven, what else can it be.
forecasted budgets for 2011 NHRA programming may also be down.

if Dave and Mike do NHRA Today and Mike and Paul call the races - without
the 1/2 hour show, will the 2011 budget allow for all three?

I saw another half hour show on MAV TV, Full Throttle TV. The format was all about getting to know the people / drivers on a more personal level. Lots of informal interviews where the questions were not drag racing related. They had John Force review the movie Shrek 3, where of course he skewed off onto a story about taking his grand daughter to the show and not really anything about the movie, an interesting and funny story nonetheless.

There was an interview with Jack Beckman where the interview turned to the interviewer and Jack going back and forth about who's voice was more hoarse, which led to a conversation about full throttle flavored cough drops.

They followed Matt Hagan to throw out the first pitch at some baseball game and left in the comment he made about how good his pitch would be was based on how many beers he had.

They asked drivers if they could be any other driver who they would be.. Cruz P said John Force and added that if he were he would have to continue to check the bank account cause it would make him feel good.

Antron Brown's nickname for Cory Mac is Cream because Antron is known as Coffee.

Anyway, I liked the show - even more then Race Day - which to me is exactly the same as NHRA Today without Steve E - although it would have been better had they done the show on off weeks as well at a set time - say 11 eastern on Sunday - on a channel that can keep that time slot, like TNN, except went to visit different race team shops instead of the track.

I read the article, I'm confused though...Because of ESPN news going away is that the the reason, or is it because it will cost more to air thus NHRA is Nixing it?

I read the article, I'm confused though...Because of ESPN news going away is that the the reason, or is it because it will cost more to air thus NHRA is Nixing it?

Yes. To both. ESPN News going away means that some of the content over there, the content that actually brought in ratings, needs a home. It will come to ESPN2, thus creating a supply and demand change there. That makes is more expensive to NHRA to do the show.

Frankly, I'd take a good NHRA Race Day show, maybe an hour long, over all the hours of qualifying they show. Do a good recap of qualifying, some of the good off-track interviews they do, set the stage for the main show, and go. Forget the qualifying, just do a setup show and the race and be done with it.

Frankly, I'd take a good NHRA Race Day show, maybe an hour long, over all the hours of qualifying they show. Do a good recap of qualifying, some of the good off-track interviews they do, set the stage for the main show, and go. Forget the qualifying, just do a setup show and the race and be done with it.

I would normally disagree but this year I have found myself fast forwarding through much of the qualifying show. I will stop down on all of the interviews but speed through most runs. During Indy I blew through most of the pomd and circumstance. Mostly because as a long time fan I already KNOW the significance...

Yes. To both. ESPN News going away means that some of the content over there, the content that actually brought in ratings, needs a home. It will come to ESPN2, thus creating a supply and demand change there. That makes is more expensive to NHRA to do the show.

Agreed. A qualifying highlight show, without some of the silliness, is all that is needed. It might save the NHRA some money which they could then add to the purse to help bolster the, otherwise, short fields.
Cheers,
Ed

Ok I tried to hold back a few days :D

good thing we have the countdown to bring in extra fans and sponsors.....oh wait we are losing a show........my bad:rolleyes::p

Ok I tried to hold back a few days :D

good thing we have the countdown to bring in extra fans and sponsors.....oh wait we are losing a show........my bad:rolleyes::p

How did you hold out so long? Countdowns and Chases haven't helped anything or to take the political route....imagine how bad it would be without it. LOL

If what your saying is correct, wouldn't that mean that NHRA's Price for doing any programming in 2011 is going up?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back