R. I. P. John mitchell (1 Viewer)

ANDY

Nitro Member
Another good guy passed away ....definitely an icon in drag racing...god speed john

Amen, Andy,
The Montana Express was a great springboard for several major drag stars as I recall.

Terrible News. A lot of folks got thier shot driving the Montana Express Top Fuel and A/fuel car.

Terrible News. A lot of folks got thier shot driving the Montana Express Top Fuel and A/fuel car.

Yes, John did bring several drivers along, including Dave Grubnic. I finally realize why Dave keeps a residence in Montana. Probably fell in love with it while driving for John Mitchell. RIP and thanks for all you did for the sport.

Rest in Peace, John. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends, and all those whose lives were touched by him.

John was a TRUE RACER...!!! His son Tim once told me something like "if dad only had a hundred bucks, that's what he would try to race with..."
He helped a lot of people get thier careers started, and helped a LOT of people keep thier race cars going.

He will be missed.

John Capps Sr.

the montana express, as stated earlier as a TA/D & TF car was a mainstay
for many years on the circuit, obviously a factor in many driver's careers;
seem to remember saying hello to paul romine quite a few years ago
driving that car.
sorry to hear of mr. mitchell's passing.

I knew a couple of JM's Crew members over the years, and if you have been to Ennis, MT. It is surrounded by Mountains! Not sure how many times he did it, but I heard there was more than one occasion where they would pull the Montana Express out of the shop and light it off! And the sound would echo around town like nobodys business! They would shut off and get calls from people 5-6 miles away saying they heard it!:)

Joe, that was a cool story.

I use to think the Montana Express dragsters looked pretty cool, and on their day John Mitchell had a pretty bad ass race car that ran some stout ET's, and went rounds.

RIP John.

Steve Torrence will be running a special paint scheme this weekend, and it sure looks sweet!! Reminds me of the Montana Express car that Andy Woods drove.

NHRA Story » Torrence to honor memory of Mitchell in Bristol

I can't help but post these two pictures I shot a couple of years ago at Don Garlits' museum.
Talk about a boomer.
Hot Rod told me the engine let go with absolutely no warning.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

John was a very unique guy, he loved drag racing in many ways, way back he and Don Madden made some inovations that are standard today. John was a successful business owner. He had a large precision sheet metal company that made the enclosures for most of the CNC machines that are made in the USA.

He made the original copper head gaskets in the industry, which later was marketed by Milodon.

He made his own clutches , which led the industry, he never sold them to others, he gave a lot of them to struggling teams like the Pedregons, and let the name clutch guys copy his ideas.

He was also the 2nd largest land owner and leaseholder in Montana, the only person with more property is Ted Turner. He will be missed, but almost like a father, his legacy continues with Larry Dixon, all of the Petregons, Ron Capps, David Grubnic and many others.

As seen in one of the photos in this blog, John had no interest in running with the pack. He often overpowered the track, with interesting results. He and Connie Kallita were good friends and tuned the same way. As Kallita John was in the sport for the fun of it. He somewhat lost interest when the cars became cookie cutters. He told me a couple of years ago he recommended to NHRA that the created an unlimited Top Fuel class to run without a purse, just for the fun. You can imagine what thier response was.

John will find a way to get traction on the gold streets of heaven

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back