Bob Hightower (1 Viewer)

Muddy

Nitro Member
I was told late Friday night that Bob Hightower, long time drag racer, driver of the well know "COW PALACE SHELL" front engine AA/FD along with many other cars passed away friday evening. Bob was a really really good guy, did a lot for this passion we call drag racing and will be missed by all who knew him. God Bless him, his family and friends.

Last edited:
A tough racer in the Cow Palace Shell AA/FD fielded by Jessie Perkins. A hard runner and absolutely beautiful racecars. It's sad to lose another of these Golden Era racers and I'm afraid that age is catching up with a lot of us. Play safe folks and take care of yourselves...please. We don't need more of these obituaries and they've been coming at about one or more per week since the first of the year. STOP!:(

A tough racer in the Cow Palace Shell AA/FD fielded by Jessie Perkins. A hard runner and absolutely beautiful racecars. It's sad to lose another of these Golden Era racers and I'm afraid that age is catching up with a lot of us. Play safe folks and take care of yourselves...please. We don't need more of these obituaries and they've been coming at about one or more per week since the first of the year. STOP!:(

Amen Darryl, You said a mouth full.

My best to Bob's family and friends.

Dave

Bob Hightower,
I had to go way back in the old memory bank to pull up that name but sure enough, it was there.
For sure most of us east coast guys will remember him from his stint in the Cow Palace Shell T/F car but the point is he made an impression on myself and many others in this sport and for that he should have been proud.
God rest his soul.

Re: Bob Hightower...another loss

A bit more information:

Bobby Hightower 1935-2008. Bobby Hightower was born in 1935 in Hollis, Ok, and died April 11, 2008, at home in Stratford, Ok., after a lengthy illness. He lived his early years in Oklahoma, moving to California in the early 1960’s to drive a succession of fuel dragsters, one of the loves of his life. The three most notable of these dragsters were the Trotter and Hightower car, which went on to set many track records, Jesse Perkins Cow Palace Shell and Gene Mooneyham’s top fuel car. Bobby was extremely proud of the Cow Palace Shell Car which was reproduced in diecast form with an initial run of 5,000.

Bobby followed Gene Mooneyham in the late 60’s to New Orleans where he drove The Car Shops top fuel dragster. He ran Division 4 out of New Orleans before returning to Oklahoma to make his home.

I thought he was from OK. I never knew him but have met his son (John?) on a few occasions, he was running around with Ezra Boggs (Moby Dick corvette FC). I believe he earned his TAFC license a couple of years ago.

Sorry to hear of Bob's passing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back