R.I.P. Agnes Johnson, mother to Alan and Blaine Johnson (5 Viewers)

Nitro Member
I am sad to find out that Mrs. Johnson passed away. As a resident of Santa Maria myself, I would sometimes see her out and about in town over the many years. Her car's license plate was "Race Ma".
My father is buried in the same cemetery as Blaine, and sometimes when I went, I would see her out there tending the upkeep of Blaine's grave.
Santa Maria feels emptier now. :( My thoughts and prayers go to Alan, sister Pam, and the Johnson family.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/santamariatimes/name/agnes-johnson-obituary?id=56347412

Mrs. Johnson.jpg
1935 - 2024

Agnes Johnson, 89, of Santa Maria, CA, passed away peacefully at her home on September 14, 2024, into the arms of our Heavenly Father. She is now reunited with her beloved husband of 64 years, Everett, and their cherished son, Blaine.

Agnes was preceded in death by her parents, Karen and Peter Mortensen; her sister, Anna Lisa Luis; her brother, John Mortensen; her loving husband, Everett Johnson; and her son, Blaine Johnson. She is survived by her daughter Pamela Johnson Morgan (married to Jim Morgan); her son Alan Johnson; her granddaughter Melanie Johnson (married to Cameron Hansen); her step-grandson Tyler Veglia; and her trusted friend and ranch hand of 47 years, Tony Gomez.

Agnes was born in Santa Maria on February 3, 1935. Her parents, both Danish immigrants who came through Ellis Island, met on a farm near Denver, CO, before settling in Santa Maria. In 1939, when Agnes was four, her family moved to West Alvin Street where they rented a dairy farm. There, she fell in love with a big, old, brown upright piano left aside in the farmhouse. At age five, she began weekly piano lessons and continued to play throughout her childhood and teenage years, often practicing for hours a day and performing in local recitals. In 1952, she received a scholarship to attend the Music Academy of the West in Santa Barbara. A gifted pianist, Agnes continued to share her love of music throughout her life, often playing for family and friends. She passed this passion on to her granddaughter Melanie, whom she began teaching at age three. Agnes and Melanie often played duets for family during Christmas celebrations. Music brought Agnes comfort, especially when playing in memory of Blaine and Everett.

Agnes graduated from Santa Maria High School in 1952 and went on to study Business Administration at San Jose State University. In 1954, she married her high school sweetheart and the love of her life, Everett Johnson. Together for 64 wonderful years, they worked and lived on a farm in the Santa Maria Valley, raising three children-Pamela, Alan, and Blaine. The Johnson family was also deeply involved in NHRA drag racing, traveling across the country to support Alan and Blaine's racing careers, achieving multiple championships as a family race team. Affectionately known as 'Race Ma' at the track, Agnes earned this nickname because she made everyone feel as if they were part of her own family.

As a grandmother to Melanie and Tyler, Agnes took pride in their accomplishments and was blessed by their love. She enjoyed frequent visits, sharing her music and infamous chocolate cake, a treat she baked often.

Agnes maintained many lifelong friendships through her high school years, the Danish Lodge, 4-H families, and the NHRA drag racing community. She was a dedicated 4-H leader, teaching sewing and leading the Esperanza 4-H Club in Sisquoc alongside Everett. She also shared a love for golf with her family, enjoying many happy years playing with Everett, Pam, Alan, Blaine, and Melanie. Agnes was the driving force behind the annual Blaine Johnson Memorial Golf Tournament, which raised nearly $1,000,000 over 20 years to support students pursuing automotive technology careers at Allan Hancock College. Through the Blaine Johnson Memorial Foundation, Agnes and Everett oversaw donations to upgrade the college's automotive lab equipment and established a scholarship endowment that continues to support students in the automotive program.

A graveside service and burial will be held on Tuesday, September 24, 2024, at 11:00 a.m. at the Santa Maria Cemetery. The family extends their deep gratitude to the nursing staff at Dignity Health Hospice for their compassionate care of Agnes. In lieu of flowers, donations in Agnes Johnson's memory may be made to the Dignity Health Hospice Program.

Checks can be mailed to:

Dignity Health Hospice

124 South College Drive, Suite B

Santa Maria, CA 93454

Visit www.dudleyhoffmanmortuary.com to leave a condolence for the family.

Sad news, Paul. Brian Husen referred to it last weekend in Maple Grove when he mentioned the Johnson family :(

I had the pleasure of meeting, Agnes. She was a wonderful lady. One year at Indy she invited me to come to Blaine's golf memorial. I still have the flyer she handed me.

Rest peacefully, Agnes. Love and prayers to the Johnson Family.

Condolences's to Alan, Pam and all the family. What a great fixture she and Everett were at the track supporting Alan and Blaine. I will never forget the day Blaine lost his life at the U.S. Nationals during qualifying. The morning of eliminations their was special acknowledgement of the loss of Blaine and the entire family stood at the starting line with their index fingers pointing to the sky. Very emotional weekend. RIP Race Ma.

It was beautiful day and service. Pam shared a story at the service about Mrs. Johnson:

She said that when she was young, she won many piano competitions and the "trophy" was a tiny little head/bust of Bach/Beethoven/composers and that it probably was what set the precedent for Blaine and Alan winning so many Wallys.

Alan shared that anytime they won a race, Mrs. Johnson would make them a chocolate cake on Monday. He said she left the recipe but there would be no one to make it with as much love as she did.

That was a very sad moment, but Pam comforted all saying that she went to where she wanted to be and that it was a reunion with Mr. Johnson, Blaine and others.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back