Remembering Blaine Johnson (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
It always tugs at me heart, even 25 years later at the loss of Blaine Johnson. Got the news that Indy weekend and was crushed as he was my modern day favorite in the AA/FD class. not forgetting Elmer Trett as well, a super rough Nationals.

Saw Blaine race in person at the sand drags, thru that wicked fast Olds TAD and then into the nitro digger ranks. He was on his way. The Mrs. and I drove up to Santa Maria for both the visitation and the massively attended funeral, it was so sad and emotional. Then went to Alan Johnsons place for a minute and hung out there.

Each year at some point, usually on a trip up to Santa Maria Speedway or our many, many, trips up to Pismo Beach to ride our sand toys, we would stop at his grave and hang for a few and reflect. On our trips to divisional races or national events we would go by there pit area each day, Blaine was so good to the fans and the Mrs. and I. Last time we saw him was at Sonoma for his great win. What a loss and the biggest in my view, what if's, in modern day drag racing. A incredible talent behind the wheel, and a super person as well. Blaine would have fit right in in the front-engine fueler days at Lions and elsewhere.

Blaine Johnson...Forever A Champion!

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

My old man is buried in the same cemetery and sometimes I go visit. I've seen Mrs. Johnson out there tending to Blaine's grave; tidying up, refreshing the flowers. I've always been too shy to go over and say hello, I don't want to intrude.
Mr. Johnson's funeral also had a lot of people. His plot is right next to Blaine's.

As far as the raceway, they decided to cease operations 2 weeks ago. The new management brought in Mexican concerts and the sound system pissed off the HOA above the bowl. They mounted legal challenges and overwhelmed the already strained raceway.

Also, the Coastal Commission decided to close the beach to motorized vehicles 2 years from now.

And in case anyone hasn't seen them, here are pics and video of The Blaine Johnson Memorial Engine Lab dedicated at nearby Allan Hancock College.

This is from 2006, but a great story.

The coastal commission are a bunch of a-holes, they have tried for years. Paul, read the facebook story from Mr. Duncan, it ain't over as far as Santa Maria Speedway, the San Luis County Commision are a bunch of dill-holes. Went to Santa Maria from about 79 till I moved out of the porta-potty called California in 2007. Went to Pismo to off road from the early 70's till I moved away.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Class guy for sure. Always stopped at the Johnson pits at the races and he was always very cordial. Bought two T shirts in 96 at E Town one to wear and one which he signed for me and I still have in the bag and has never Bern worn.

If Blaine was alive today he would be the all time Top Fuel Champion! All of Schumacher’s Championships, Gary Scelzi’s, Larry Dixons, Del Worsham’s all under Alan Johnson’s Crew Chiefing!
His passing was a very sad day!

The 96 US Nationals was my very first race. I was only 5. My dad was a big fan, I remember how excited he was to finally get to take me. Then we got there to our seats, and they were doing a tribute to Blaine on the track, he had wrecked the night before and we had no idea it had happened. No smart phones or social media or internet to keep us up to date. There was a guy in front of us that told us what happened and my dad was just floored. It changed the whole day. Then not long after that, the Elmer Trent accident. I’ll never forget that day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back