Qualifying format (1 Viewer)

Bross Hawg

Nitro Member
I know this has been brought up on here before, but I am curious of everyone's opinion. I was not very impressed with the qualifying show in Seattle this year. We only went on Saturday, but there were way too many aborted runs. When you pay $50 for one day of racing, it sux to not see full pulls. What if the NHRA mandated that your qualifying position was an average of your qualifying runs? How many times have you seen a team struggle and then throw out a hail Mary and go low qualifier on Friday nite? If they averaged 3 of the 4 runs (throw out your worst run) or averaged all 4, it would be a hell of a lot better show for the fans. Instead of shutting off on a q run, you would see drivers pedal the car. Sounds like a better show to me, jmho.

I know this has been brought up on here before, but I am curious of everyone's opinion. I was not very impressed with the qualifying show in Seattle this year. We only went on Saturday, but there were way too many aborted runs. When you pay $50 for one day of racing, it sux to not see full pulls. What if the NHRA mandated that your qualifying position was an average of your qualifying runs? How many times have you seen a team struggle and then throw out a hail Mary and go low qualifier on Friday nite? If they averaged 3 of the 4 runs (throw out your worst run) or averaged all 4, it would be a hell of a lot better show for the fans. Instead of shutting off on a q run, you would see drivers pedal the car. Sounds like a better show to me, jmho.

That what Sunday's are for.

An unfavorable solution to this problem would be 8 car fields. The favorable solution would be more then 16 cars showing up. Both would make qualifying mean more then practice for Sunday.

I guess to me sitting in the stands I like the idea... but there's no way traditionalists will be for it... and no way any team will be for it in that they would have to spend more money and break more parts.

Just do what I do - get seats right at the start so if they shut it off you don't miss much.

no averages and get rid of top 12 rule.
two day race (for the pros at least)
- friday (2) qual. runs, one @ night.... best 16 e.t.'s get in.
- saturday optional test/tune session @ 10am (does not count towards qual.)
- saturday elims. start @ 3pm
- event @ track with no curfews
- thursday & sunday available for sportsman/rain day
- 8pm - 10pm saturday night broadcast; option live 9pm - 10pm

Last edited:
As stated above qualifying is also practice (testing). You don't allways need a full pull to test something. Don't forget NHRA foolishly bans testing. That alone forces teams to test at Natl. events.

Average the times- NO WAY. the quickest get to race. If you want all-out passes, go Sun.

(PS) Mike I agree, get rid of the "top 12 " rule.

Let me try it again
No qualifying sessions, put it in line and run it as much as you want, just as in the old days.
Car counts are way down from "the old days" so this format is not an issue and worked fine for 45 cars trying to make a 16 car show. So 17 for a 16 is child's play.
Qualifying ends Saturday evening at ? time, curfew or whatever.
If need to make a squirt (time-only) on Sunday morning have at it.
1 vs. 9
2 vs. 10
3 vs. 11
4 vs. 12
5 vs. 13
6 vs. 14
7 vs. 15
8 vs. 16
Lane choice by coin toss.
Anything to increase the (amount) run time of the fuel cars will help attract fans.
Back when Warren the Whiner was putting nitro in his crankcase, easily half the day at the track had nitro cars running, now you get two hours a day.
The crowds are smaller so a need to improve the show is a necessity, right now it is like watching golf, great if you love the game.

.......No qualifying sessions, put it in line and run it as much as you want, just as in the old days.

this has proven disastrous as the media want to know what time the pros
will be on the track; drag racing can not afford to lose the little media
coverage it does get.

Are we discussing drag racing, roundy-round racing or tractor pulling?

I've been around drag racing for over 40 years and have NEVER seen a drag race do a "full pull"!

As for averaging qualifying runs, that's roundy-round racing not drag racing!

Drag racing qualifying has always been about making the quickest run to become the LOW QUALIFIER, not pole position or any other auto racing slang. If you average qualifying runs then you will not see all-out runs.

I don't watch a football game to see a home-run and I don't watch a baseball game to see a touchdown, so why would I go to a drag race to see a full pull or a pole position?

Yeah, qualifying is for testing, go on Sunday if you want to see full pulls; whatever. That would be fine if you weren't paying out the a$$ to get in the gate on those days also. I've been to a lot of National events during qualifying and some of those shows were so bad the entire crowd should've been refunded on their way out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Put traction control on the damn things and forget about it. More full pulls and less sh!t gettin' blown up makes for a helluva lot better show for the fans, less money getting spent by the teams and a much safer race car. The media should see a boost as well and who knows, you might get some teams on a limited budget come out and play more often.

Sean D

this has proven disastrous as the media want to know what time the pros
will be on the track; drag racing can not afford to lose the little media
coverage it does get.

You are kidding I hope less media, more runs more media.
This isn't rocket science, better longer show = more revenue = everybody happy except crew guys that will put in longer days.
Maybe you should ask a press guy what they would like to see, "runs" maybe?
Media guys are hard to find anymore as all the print media veterans are out of work. Leaving the diehard bloggers we all know or the talking heads from the local TV affiliate who could give a rats ass about the races. They will cover it if it becomes larger than life, time to breath some life into Professional Drag Racing "more runs" and like Bill and Susan say maybe a little WWF thrown in.
Time to abandon the PC Corporate Sanitized Production and get back to the show.
Remember "Drag Racing Is Far Out" and that's not what we pay to see anymore

actually when the media does ask what time the pro's run, a time needs to be given. All day or any time just doesn't cut it. That is why they went to scheduled format. That local TV or radio station is not going send someone out for the entire day. They will be there for an hour or two at best.

More cars would deffinitly make team put more emphasis on qualifying, but I am a racing fan and I honestly do not believe that more emphasis should be put on "the show" I mean its a race for crying out loud. I am an honest believer in fan education let them know they are actually watching a race educate them on what they are watching.

Im different then most though I like racing, while I have never been to an nhra event I go to drag races to watch racing, the show aspect is a secondary byproduct of the fact that racing is enjoyable to watch.

I guess you could call me a traditionalist.

Drag racing, like all sports has it's own terminology. By "full pull" I meant running full power to the stripe..(that is - from the starting line to the finish line).
There are many confusing phrases such as:
"comming out of the hole" - theres not really a pit
"blow the tires off" - the tires don't come off the car
oh, and the "Christmas tree" - they speak of, ..... has no branches

I don't know them all, but would be happy to help with any defenitions I can.

:rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back