ProMods and PSM To The Grass (1 Viewer)

First off, this isint that big of a deal. Would you rather be on asphalt? Ofcourse. But does it really matter, no. And this isint the only track that this happens at. Especially for the pro bike or pro mod teams. Hell, matter of fact, I cant tell you the last time pro mods were on asphalt at Baytown. They have parked them on the grass for the last several years so I dont know what they are *****ing about. The alky teams are always out there also. And ofcourse the 500 sportsman racers.

As long as its not muddy, which it isint, everything will be fine.

Rickie Smith is not off target on this and I agree.

"It definitely matters (having to park on the grass/dirt),” Smith said. “You would think they would pave enough extra down there (at Houston) because they have got the room to pave it. You would think they could spend 20 to 30 grand to pave enough spots for the Pro Mods to park on there (the asphalt). We have to work on these things (Pro Mod cars) all the time. We take pistons in and out and we work on them like a Top Fuel car. So, it is definitely better when we can be on some hard ground. I think what is happening is you have these pro teams and when I say pro teams I say Top Fuel and Funny Cars that are taking up so much room with hospitality spots that is using up a lot of pro spots, and that is fine. I have nothing against having hospitality for your sponsors and NHRA charges extra for that. If you are going to charge extra for those hospitality spots then go spend that money to put more asphalt down for the cars. That’s the only thing I ask.”

i don't think this problem is unique to houston; not too many years ago
i'd think this was a problem at the majority of facilities.

Until the mid-nineties, the practice at Brainerd was to park them lengthwise along the back portion of the road course. this meant a long tow to get to the staging lanes for some, and for all, a long tow around the entire road course to get back to the pits. It was a better deal for the fans though, because it was easier to watch them before they started using the "privacy stalls" they seem to like now, where you can only watch from the end, and the fans are 5 to 6 deep at some pits.

I think it matters if you are entertaining a sponsor or trying to project a professional image to a sponsor's customer base. Doing everything you can to attract and maintain a sponsor is critical. Being the team(s) pushed out on the grass doesn't help this.

It also matters when it comes time to put the car up in the air, either on projacks or jack stands. Honestly it is a safety issue, especially if it rains.

Do you have a patio or deck on the back of your house? Why? Because it sucks to camp out on grass that is uneven and gets soggy when wet. :(

I agree with Ricky Smith: If they are going to sell the spaces for the DSR and Force compounds, they should be able to pave more spaces. They collect revenue for the compounds every year, but the cost of the paving is amortized over many years.

Interesting to read Arlene Johnson's facebook comments on Comp Plus. You wouldn't guess she was married to WJ would you?:rolleyes:

It also matters when it comes time to put the car up in the air, either on projacks or jack stands. Honestly it is a safety issue, especially if it rains.

Gee, I wish someone in the "powers to be" would have the same concern for our class.......LOL

Alky is parked at MANY tracks in less than Ideal conditions. It really is *No Big Deal* unless it Rains, then, it's a NIGHTMARE...... At Indy, many of us have to either carry 4x8 sheets of wood or go to Lowes/Home Depot before setting up our pits just to get "somewhat level off the ruts, dirt and grass" and that's not the only track.

However, with that said, this too shall pass and as long as HRP and the Sanctioning body make money, isn't that what it's really all about?

We (the racers) are just the circus animals that pay to put on the show.......:D:D

Gee, I wish someone in the "powers to be" would have the same concern for our class.......LOL

Alky is parked at MANY tracks in less than Ideal conditions. It really is *No Big Deal* unless it Rains, then, it's a NIGHTMARE...... At Indy, many of us have to either carry 4x8 sheets of wood or go to Lowes/Home Depot before setting up our pits just to get "somewhat level off the ruts, dirt and grass" and that's not the only track.

However, with that said, this too shall pass and as long as HRP and the Sanctioning body make money, isn't that what it's really all about?

We (the racers) are just the circus animals that pay to put on the show.......

I hear ya! I race Top Dragster, so I'm usually thrilled when we GET to pit on asphalt! :D

One year at the LODRS race at Bandimere we were pitted so far north in the boonies we couldn't hear the PA and missed first round. :mad: We thought we were paying better attention than we were apparently. Talk about embarrassing. "How'd ya do this weekend?" "Uhhhh, we didn't make first round...." "Broke?" "Nope, just dumb" :D

First off, this isint that big of a deal. Would you rather be on asphalt? Ofcourse. But does it really matter, no. And this isint the only track that this happens at. Especially for the pro bike or pro mod teams. Hell, matter of fact, I cant tell you the last time pro mods were on asphalt at Baytown. They have parked them on the grass for the last several years so I dont know what they are *****ing about. The alky teams are always out there also. And ofcourse the 500 sportsman racers.

As long as its not muddy, which it isint, everything will be fine.

Boy I remember 2007 when some rigs were under 2' of water in the Pits! Lee Calloways rig was almost over the axles...

2625595670079774256S500x500Q85.jpg

2282776290079774256S500x500Q85.jpg

2373800380079774256S500x500Q85.jpg

3817820019_a2ecf373f9.jpg

as my crew chief always use 2 tell me nobody gives a chit:D

Hey Guy, I'm sure you don't remember us (we are friends of Ronnie S. from So Cal), but my brother dug a large patch of uneven ground (so you could jack up the dragster) for you guys in Indy a few years back. This thread immediately reminded me of that day. Hope all is well!

remember when nhra ran the 'top ten' at each event with
signage above trailers in pits?....about 10-15 years ago?
weren't the top ten for the four pro classes given preferential pit spaces?

hard to see nhra hospitality moving away from the pits; seems like the driver
is an integral part of these programs, and the between round
maintenance and warmup is 'the show' away from the track.
IMO this experience is incredibly unique and valuable as
nhra drag racing competes against other exclusive sports hospitality options.

i hate walking past all the circus tents too to get to the bulk of the teams;
don't have an answer - it's the changing face of nhra.
would think there are nitro teams competing who's sponsors would think
twice if not for the pitside hospitality.
if the TV version of nhra is 4 pro categories, then the venue's should
accomodate for them, and i suppose it's one easy answer....more asphalt.

yes i do remember Mark,, the good ole days,, hope u r doing well also, i am still trucking saving money to b back 1 day, just kinda hard 4 now makin any money,, how is runnie hope he is good sure do miss everyone, except the suits !!:eek:

Mike Larson, the drivers are just as much an integral part of the programs in NASCAR and IndyCar as they are in our arena, and yet they manage to “succeed” with hospitality usually a considerable distance from the active pit areas.

NHRA’s pitting of the Top 10 cars together was a very good idea – until the massive hospitality and multi-car teams became the norm rather than the exception. With teams configuring all of their rigs together it was no longer practical to try and line up all the Top 10s together.

If the sponsors are that concerned about pitside hospitality they’ll probably voice those opinions, but where’s the end to it? What happens when Company X is willing to pay for space that’s twice that utilized now by some teams? Will it be allowed? Will that, in turn, mean that another professional fuel racer will have to be pitted in the dirt or on the grass, or so far away that he’ll have zero chance of directly interacting with a significant number of fans?

Sponsors haven’t deserted or declined to participate in other forms of racing because of where the hospitality space is located, at least to my knowledge.

And let’s not forget that a truly massive hospitality area could result in highly negative blowback from potential customers. “I’m not buying that product from Company X. Look at how much money they’re spending on hospitality in Team Owner Y’s pits. They don’t need my $50. Besides, I’m sick of having to walk two extra blocks just to get past their circus act.”

If NHRA “guaranteed” the sponsors that they’d always have pitside hospitality, they made a huge error in judgment. If every single pro team had the kind of massive hospitality areas we’re seeing now, pitting on the grass would be a pleasure. The more likely scenario is being pitted so far away from the action that you’d never see a spectator much less a real or potential sponsor.

Do fans want to see a real working pit area, or an often empty hospitality area?

Those fans come out to see the action, not to see some guy eating a burger in a closed-off area that the “regular” guy has no chance of being invited into.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

i don't think this problem is unique to houston; not too many years ago
i'd think this was a problem at the majority of facilities.

Mile High Pits are probably the least able to expand....there's the mountain, then there's the freeway, and hardly any room between for the track, the spectator parking, and the racers pits....wonder where this will end up...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back