Process control - fuel/clutch management (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I was reading up on process control - I know electronics are not allowed per NHRA rules, but from
what I was reading, the inputs into a system used for process control (read fuel management, clutch
control) can be mechanical as well a pneumatic. Crazy stuff, and I wonder how much of what is going
on with fuel and clutch control is being chugged along in a computer to give inputs crew chiefs set in
the pits and as the car stages, and how much of it is just a huge dataset to know what to use. If the
former, I can't help but feel that those who wrote the software for it are wicked smart. Because the
mathematics of it is sick.

I was reading up on process control - I know electronics are not allowed per NHRA rules, but from
what I was reading, the inputs into a system used for process control (read fuel management, clutch
control) can be mechanical as well a pneumatic. Crazy stuff, and I wonder how much of what is going
on with fuel and clutch control is being chugged along in a computer to give inputs crew chiefs set in
the pits and as the car stages, and how much of it is just a huge dataset to know what to use. If the
former, I can't help but feel that those who wrote the software for it are wicked smart. Because the
mathematics of it is sick.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe NHRA now allows electronics in the area of clutch control.

Sheesh, couldn't get my like "right". So if I understand you Kyle, this is just all manual programming based on what the tuner thinks is best based on the racepak data, no number crunching by the PC used to download the data?

Sheesh, couldn't get my like "right". So if I understand you Kyle, this is just all manual programming based on what the tuner thinks is best based on the racepak data, no number crunching by the PC used to download the data?
Correct, there are no 'real time' adjustments made by the computer. Everything the car does within the fuel, ignition, and clutch management is pre-defined by the crew chief before the run.

Correct, there are no 'real time' adjustments made by the computer. Everything the car does within the fuel, ignition, and clutch management is pre-defined by the crew chief before the run.
I see now that real time computer calculated adjustments are not allowed during the run - everything has to be done via preset timers.

But... what about using the computer in the trailer to do process control analysis based on input from the racepak and then use that to come up with the presets? No real time adjustments, just computer aided calculation of presets.

Hi Tom,

That is done by every crew cheif. There are some really interesting excel spreadsheets built.
Interesting. Wonder what kind of business would be had amongst all classes of drag racing for software that would do that. I mean, directly geared towards racing and no futzing around with spreadsheets. Input directly from RacePaks. Knobs to turn to suit each crews preferences for tune ups.

I still like the Driver and crew chief discussing what he felt and what it looked like from the starting line.

I see now that real time computer calculated adjustments are not allowed during the run - everything has to be done via preset timers.

But... what about using the computer in the trailer to do process control analysis based on input from the racepak and then use that to come up with the presets? No real time adjustments, just computer aided calculation of presets.
Its always an educated guess. cant predict what the weather is going to do, A cloud comes out of nowhere and the track changes. Thats all it takes to throw an awesome tuneup out the window. Bracket guys have predictor software, but they aren't as traction limited.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back