Pro Stockers are Flying (1 Viewer)

StarLink
High Speed Internet
Available AnyWhere On Earth
Now $349

Obviously,I was pulling for the Mopars,mainly Allen Johnson.I think the Stratus is still 1 mph slower than the GM cars,hopefully the new Avenger will be able to make up that difference.

It will be nice when the scales of aerodynamics are balanced. Allen & Roy are making a ton of power. Their et's were very impressive yesterday. They seem to have caught the Summit cars. It appears that Allen and the Summit cars are the class of the field.

I continue to be impressed with Greg and Jason. Year after year they have the rest of the field covered.

"Since when"???

Since Gapp and Roush kicked everybody's ass with the ugliest Pro Stocker, EVER, "The Taxi"... a Maverick 4-door sedan way back in about 1977, or '78.... can't remember, but it was a long, long time ago.

Maybe you weren't watching Pro Stock back then, perhaps...

Well being I was born in 1982....

My dad was telling me about the 4-door PS car, so I know a little bit about it though.

Samuel,

RE: "Well being I was born in 1982...."

I have socks older than that.... really.

For me, the absolute best drag racing ever, was done in the 1960-1965 period befor the advent of "all Hemi" nitro fields, when there were still Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Fords, etc. running in competition (engines, that is) and when the Stockers were still basically "stock," without acid-ported heads, Pro-Trans trannys, and electrically-driven water pumps, etc...

You could build a competitive car without taking out a second mortgage on the homestead.

National events were far and few between, so they were especially well-attended.

What we have now, with cookie-cutter T/F, F/C and P/S cars, is basically a driver's contest, whereas back when "Ingenuity in Action" was the by-word, it was a contest of engineering one-upmanship, and in that vein, much more interesting for the gearheads (and, most drag race fans are just that. or, were...)

With no handicaps (EVERYTHING WAS HEADS-UP!!!), no breakouts, no indexes or .90 classes, no Christmas Tree (flag starters are fun to watch!), and no throttle stops, it was a very different ballgame; it was DRAG racing...

Even though speeds have escalated over the years, and e.t.'s have plummeted, racing was (to me, anyway) a lot more exciting to watch back then, if only for the variety of rolling stock. Twin-engine blown Hemi Top Gas cars were a later innovation, but were awesome to watch run.

The sameness of what we now see, from month-to-month, year-to-year, with so little change in the appearance of the cars, is borderline stultifying.

But, I watch.... After 53 years and 46 different drag strips, what am I going to do; watch roundy-round cars? I don't theeeeeenk so... :(

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back