Pro Stock (2 Viewers)

The first PS cars of the 70's looked great with the small hood scoops but the last year of PS with hood scoops looked like crap IMO. If we are goring to keep the name PS stock then you cant bring back carbs. I would love to see FSS with additional makes with maybe V6 with a turbo.

Here was a Pro Stock V6 with a twin turbo and the whiners did nothing but whine.

Bob, I wanna see this car run! Heh Ya know what, if the FSS engines were put into a PS car, I bet they could run a 10.5 tire with no problem. I also think that the current PS cars are about 1000 lbs lighter than FSS, so maybe a second quicker? 6.80's? That would keep the class interesting.

Thanks Bob. this was cool! Reminds me so much of the old AA/Gas Supercharged class. And he has a Mopar in it! Bet the fans love this car. :)

Wow, this car has the Toyota 2JZ straight 6 engine. I think he said 3.3 liter, which is less than 200 CI. ! Amazes me how such a small motor can run times not too far off a 500" supercharged alky motor.

Here was a Pro Stock V6 with a twin turbo and the whiners did nothing but whine.

I remember the whining, but it was mostly coming from other Pro Stock drivers in fear of getting beaten :D
I think their biggest fear was that it brought turbocharging into a naturally aspirated class. Technically it was legal - the Buick Grand Nationals were a production car with a turbo V6 - but NHRA was quick to kill the combination at the behest of other PS drivers and some manufacturers.

Currently NHRA has Pro Stock on life support and it's fading fast. Personally I feel the end started when they let the teams go to the carbon fiber bodies instead of retaining at least a stock shell. At that point fans stopped associating what they saw on the track with what the manufacturers had on the showroom floor. I mean seriously, who actually thought they could go buy a hemi neon or big block chevy cobalt? As the fans lost interest the manufacturers realized the class wasn't marketable and pulled their support. The only remaining factory support is from Chevrolet and how long will that last? Pro Stock is dying unfortunately, maybe it's best to let it go. Factory Stock, Mountain Motor Pro Stock and Pro Mod seem to be the classes of the future.
I started losing interest in PS when they dumped the manual 4-speed for the Lenco. Took away a LOT of the driver's skill, IMO.

Rest In Peace, William Tyler Jenkins. :(
I remember reading an interview with the Grump in Car Craft magazine. He explained that the NHRA rule book stated that the roll cage must be 180 degrees to protect the driver. But the rule didn't specify if it was 180 OVER the driver or 180 UNDER the driver. So he said in the interview that a frame made from tubing was not only legal but it was required. That was the best interpretation of a rule that I've ever seen.

I started losing interest in PS when they dumped the manual 4-speed for the Lenco. Took away a LOT of the driver's skill, IMO.
I was okay with the Lenco transmissions, but when they started building tube frames and draping a carbon fiber body over it that was when I really started losing interest. At one time Pro Stock was the ultimate buy a car ( or body in white) from a dealer and build a pro class car in your garage class. But once they let the genie out of the bottle there was no going back.

Everyone wants them to look like cars...NO scoops and they look like cars! And to anyone saying bring carbs back. Todays cars are all FI.....You all want them like cars.

The comments that PS cars all look the same are interesting.

Don't TF and FC have the same issue...??? ;)

Last edited:
The comments that PS cars all look the same are interesting.

Don't TF and FC have the same issue...??? ;)

Nothing in TF FC says STOCK............

Further to that point, other than paint, what about Indy cars, F1 cars, and Nascuppers?

Indy car MEH, F1 is about a BILLION a year budget, NASCAR never watched/cared. None of which have anything to do with NHRA

Indy Car and F1 have always had cars that closely resembled each other. Pro Stock and NASCAR used to have distinct brand recognition. Both have gone the way of trying to level the playing field to the point that the cars look the same. Headlight decals and brand name decals are needed now to tell them apart. In the old days of NASCAR if Ford was running better than Chevy, the Chevy guys got to work and made a better car. Today they just wine to the sanctioning bosses and ask for concessions. Sure miss the days when they actually looked like a car you could buy.

I agree about the bringing back carbs, but just read a quote in a 2009 book this morning...

"Even Weedwackers don't have carburetors anymore....." - Warren Johnson
Ha! That's true, but maybe NHRA could make PS use the Holley HP EFI (with the throttle bodies that look like a carb) on a tunnel ram for those of us who can't let it go :D

Just kidding...... heck, my 1986 Pontiac Trans Am had port injection.......

I have no problem with the technology/lack there of, I only have a problem with how they look. Well there is always FSS now.

I have no problem with the technology/lack there of, I only have a problem with how they look. Well there is always FSS now.

Then lets stop calling them Pro Stock since they stopped putting carbs in cars in the 90's. Its 2019 if the technology leaves you behind so be it a ps car should have the 2019 tech. Carbs are for the nostalgia classes anyways.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back