Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

I want somebody (maybe McGaha, maybe WJ or the Summit boyz) to put a current Factory Stock engine in a current Pro Stock chassis with a hand-shifter (no air) trans, and maybe up the supercharger capacity in liters from FS, or drop the rear tire size down to a smaller lighter one and see what they will do on the track. If the Factory offered the car in turbo, then let them run an approved turbo package instead. Then maybe the Japanese and European cars would join Pro Stock and it could flourish.

Alfa Romeo anyone?

View attachment 5234

Bob, I wanna see this car run! Heh Ya know what, if the FSS engines were put into a PS car, I bet they could run a 10.5 tire with no problem. I also think that the current PS cars are about 1000 lbs lighter than FSS, so maybe a second quicker? 6.80's? That would keep the class interesting.

What's the point of him reading it again? I took it the exact same way as David and look at it the same way. If owners take their funds to a different class, you can bet your ass there will be a percentage of the existing team, possibly all of them, that will be taken along if they still want a job. You make it sound like if Pro Stock gets dropped, EVERYBODY will be out of work, and I guarantee you that won't be the case.

Sean D
And what about the employees in the shop? You people are forgetting all about them. I guess you people know it all lol

And what about the employees in the shop? You people are forgetting all about them. I guess you people know it all lol

So if owners decide to go to another class, they're not going to need at least some, if not all of the people in the shop? Elite is already dabbling with a couple of Pro Mod cars, so if NHRA dropped Pro Stock tomorrow, you don't think they'll still need the majority of the people they have now to continue with the Pro Mod cars?

Jerry, I'm not saying that the loss of Pro Stock wouldn't cost some jobs, I just doubt there will be "hundreds" of casualties. Racers are racers, and because of that there will be a lot of them move to another class, and they'll still need a team of people to compete. Especially at the higher levels.

Sean D

I still say let them keep everything they have BUT have to use factory "sheet metal" which can be carbon fiber .
I know aerodynamics for "safety". How many classes run as fast or faster and actually LOOK like the car they are running.

I still say let them keep everything they have BUT have to use factory "sheet metal" which can be carbon fiber .
I know aerodynamics for "safety". How many classes run as fast or faster and actually LOOK like the car they are running.

Are you saying keep the existing 500" EFI platform, along with the current chassis and wrap them in bodies basically what we're seeing in the Factory Shootout class?

Sean D

Bob, I wanna see this car run! Heh Ya know what, if the FSS engines were put into a PS car, I bet they could run a 10.5 tire with no problem. I also think that the current PS cars are about 1000 lbs lighter than FSS, so maybe a second quicker? 6.80's? That would keep the class interesting.
They would have to keep big tires, w unlimited turbos they would run 6.40s at their current weight, it would be engine tech hay day awesome.

Are you saying keep the existing 500" EFI platform, along with the current chassis and wrap them in bodies basically what we're seeing in the Factory Shootout class?

Sean D

Yes Fans would at least know what they were looking at

Plus if PS ran factory engines, then we could have Fords & Mopars & Chevys again, all competitive.

Just allow carbs back in with scoops, and see if that adds numbers. Might be surprised.

I don't have an opinion either way when it comes to carbs, but I will say I'm surprised at how much difference the scoops make. Seems trivial, but with the MM cars making some cameos, I had forgotten how much better the cars look (to me, anyway....) with the scoops on them.

Sean D

I don't have an opinion either way when it comes to carbs, but I will say I'm surprised at how much difference the scoops make. Seems trivial, but with the MM cars making some cameos, I had forgotten how much better the cars look (to me, anyway....) with the scoops on them.

Sean D
To me, the scoops look way more natural with the stretched-out noses. I think they would look awkward on cars with actual factory dimensions. As it is, I see PS, TS, and PM cars with flat hoods and keep thinking I'm seeing a modern racecar version of Cruella De Vil's car.

Reading all the opinions here, it sure sounds like everyone should be watching FSS.
Real cars that look like the factory, powerplants that are available on the lot(more or less), all 3 manufacturers.
I will also throw this out there, with FSS and their allowed engine combos how long before Toyota and other manufacturers get involved.
Toyota does an awful lot of "sponsoring" for a company that has no cars involved, well except for a FC body.
IMO Toyota is working on something.

Reading all the opinions here, it sure sounds like everyone should be watching FSS.
Real cars that look like the factory, powerplants that are available on the lot(more or less), all 3 manufacturers.
I will also throw this out there, with FSS and their allowed engine combos how long before Toyota and other manufacturers get involved.
Toyota does an awful lot of "sponsoring" for a company that has no cars involved, well except for a FC body.
IMO Toyota is working on something.

I gotta be honest with ya, Ken..................this is exactly where my allegiance has been heading for a while now. I can't wait for Indy this year. I'm planning on spending quite a bit of time in the pits of these cars and learning more about them. With the class being so new, things are changing at a pretty rapid pace between all the manufacturers, but so far it's been exciting to watch.

I know I've said this before, but I just think the existing class of Pro Stock has strayed so far from it's roots that it has lost it's identity. If it were up to me, I would re-brand both of these classes, with the FSS cars moving forward with the Pro Stock designation and do everything in my power to put systems in place to keep it from morphing away from what the manufacturers offer from year-to-year. Easy task? Hell no. Doable? Hell yes.

Sean D

They would have to keep big tires, w unlimited turbos they would run 6.40s at their current weight, it would be engine tech hay day awesome.
They already have a turbo class, it's called Pro Mod. Keep Pro Stock naturally aspirated!

A few of the players (McGaha, Elite) asked NHRA to look at the factory stock engine program for Pro Stock and it was turned down...so they say :) I think NHRA didn't want to kill Factory Stock by doing that....

Would love to see Totota, Honda, Hyundai, etc in FSS. But, i don't think they have any rear wheel drive cars that would be competitive. Wait... 2020 Toyota Supra has RWD, inline 6, turbo. Maybe that could be competitive? Toyota does run NASCAR w/ V-8 engine. Hmmmmmm........

The level of disdain to Pro Stock from many nitro lovers is truly amazing. :(
I wouldn't say it's disdain as much as it is disappointment in what the class has become. I was there when Pro Stock was born and had many friends and acquaintances who ran in the early days. I've always admired the class and especially the technology - I am still amazed at the technology - and have no illusions about PS returning to the 70's. But the class has morphed into something unrecognizable for most fans, and more importantly has strayed from the spirit of the class. The premise was you begin with something anyone can buy off the showroom floor with the manufacturer's engine, and then get creative within the rules. But the rules changed along the way and stock appearance - stock ANYTHING, including dimensions and proportions - disappeared. Now they are built the same way you would build a funny car, and for all practical purposes are a NA funny car on gasoline.

The first PS cars of the 70's looked great with the small hood scoops but the last year of PS with hood scoops looked like crap IMO. If we are goring to keep the name PS stock then you cant bring back carbs. I would love to see FSS with additional makes with maybe V6 with a turbo.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back