Pro Stock (1 Viewer)

You phase it in, be@ides most parts are usable in other categories such as TS and TD
There isn't really all that much crossover with Top Sportsman and Top Dragster. Most of the cars in those two classes are boosted or big CI (often on spray), so we have more in common with Pro Mod than Pro Stock. A rolling PS car can be used in TS, but regarding engine and transmission, there is very little PS left in it by the time it's a competitive sportsman car.* The logical trickle-down would be for those parts to end up in Comp, but between rules differences and the small number of classes anyway that use PS-like components, I don't imagine the demand would be all that high.

*This refers to NHRA Pro Stock. There are several TS cars now that could utilize parts from the Mountain Motor version.

I miss it and our National Event in Epping this year won't have it but I will live. I hope we get the sleds again this year that is FUN!!

Currently NHRA has Pro Stock on life support and it's fading fast. Personally I feel the end started when they let the teams go to the carbon fiber bodies instead of retaining at least a stock shell. At that point fans stopped associating what they saw on the track with what the manufacturers had on the showroom floor. I mean seriously, who actually thought they could go buy a hemi neon or big block chevy cobalt? As the fans lost interest the manufacturers realized the class wasn't marketable and pulled their support. The only remaining factory support is from Chevrolet and how long will that last? Pro Stock is dying unfortunately, maybe it's best to let it go. Factory Stock, Mountain Motor Pro Stock and Pro Mod seem to be the classes of the future.

Back when they ran pintos and Vega’s with v-8s that you could not buy from the factory show room the class did well because you could identify with your brand, the class has been dominated by GM for too long the cars have to be identified by lettering on the windows makes the class boring, I got bored with class back when Gliden was killing everyone with his fords and I bleed ford blue, cars are to far from stock bodies and only one manufacturer competitive BORING for me anyway

count me as missing it too. Name me one nhra class, other than pro stock that incorporates 'all out' racing , equal rules for everybody, and the driver has a substantial impact on the performance of the car. Its drag racing in its purest form !!! yet its hated by so many!

And just what do you think the existing teams should do with the hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars they've already invested? You're delusional if you think they're going to eat that cost just because some old timers are dreaming of going back in time!

I have questioned this train of thought a thousand times and have yet to get a decent answer. These are independently wealthy people that have chosen the class of NHRA Pro Stock eliminator as a playground. Nothing more, nothing less. They're losing money doing this, so if any of them see the money they lose every year as any sort of an "investment", then they're dumber than the governing body that has allowed the class to get to this point in the first place. The only thing dumber would be having a sh!tload of inventory laying around, and that would go for ANY class at this point. With sponsorship difficulties and participation numbers being what they are, things are too unstable to quantify it.

The folks that run these programs have elite level engine builders, and I'm as confident as they should be that the folks in charge of their respective engine programs up to this point could roll with any changes deemed necessary for the long-term health/survival of the class and continue to produce top-shelf horsepower, no matter the platform. If that platform ultimately ends up at or near what we're seeing with the Factory Showdown cars, so be it. Pro Stock as we know it has lost its identity. It is no longer what the class was originally intended and marketed for and hasn't been for a long time, so even calling it Pro Stock doesn't make much sense to me anymore.

Sean D

I kinda think Pro Stock teams are looking at the future & thinking about other classes, especially Factory & Pro Mod. Erica Enders being an example. If she could concentrate on Pro Mod only, she would do well at it. They already have a fast car. Alex Laughlin also. Maybe even MMPS if that takes off. Wild hair idea: if Factory could run a tube chassis & keep the stock body & engine, that could be interesting. At least the cars would look like real cars. Just my 2 cents.

Wild hair idea: if Factory could run a tube chassis & keep the stock body & engine, that could be interesting. At least the cars would look like real cars. Just my 2 cents.

That’s exactly what started Pro Stock on its move away from the “stock” in Pro Stock in 1972.
When is the last time a car came from Detroit with a tube chassis?

I believe this was proposed to the NHRA by Allen Johnson, and it seems like a great proposal to me anyway.
I kinda think Pro Stock teams are looking at the future & thinking about other classes, especially Factory & Pro Mod. Erica Enders being an example. If she could concentrate on Pro Mod only, she would do well at it. They already have a fast car. Alex Laughlin also. Maybe even MMPS if that takes off. Wild hair idea: if Factory could run a tube chassis & keep the stock body & engine, that could be interesting. At least the cars would look like real cars. Just my 2 cents.

While all of you are commenting on your "reasons." Dont lose perspective that IF Pro Stock went away. There would be 100's of people out of work. Drivers, crew members, shop personnel . Let that sink in when you are giving YOUR reasons about Pro Stock.

Maybe those weird, no relation to anything currently sold, pro stock cars might make good bracket racers or top sportsman cars. You can win more $$$ in one weekend with Kyle and Pete than you could running with the established sanctioning body for a year, maybe two.

While all of you are commenting on your "reasons." Dont lose perspective that IF Pro Stock went away. There would be 100's of people out of work. Drivers, crew members, shop personnel . Let that sink in when you are giving YOUR reasons about Pro Stock.
The Pro Stock racers tried to make that argument (http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/letter-from-nhra-puts-pro-stocks-future-in-doubt) , but I don't really think that would be the case. Most would just land somewhere else in the sport, as we're seeing with a number of former PS competitors and teams moving into FSS or Pro Mod.

somebody should do an interview with a long time backer in PS like the mt. view tire guy, mitsos. it would be interesting to hear from a guy who loves the sport, will spend necessary money
to compete, has always leased his power (from all the players), but now decides to step back. it would be interesting to hear someone like him talk about where PS has evolved, why he no longer
competes, and what are his thoughts about the price of power in other classes going forward; are these classes also heading in the same direction?

The Pro Stock racers tried to make that argument (http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/letter-from-nhra-puts-pro-stocks-future-in-doubt) , but I don't really think that would be the case. Most would just land somewhere else in the sport, as we're seeing with a number of former PS competitors and teams moving into FSS or Pro Mod.
That says nothing about what I was mentioning. You are concentrating on drivers. Maybe you need to read what I said again!

I want somebody (maybe McGaha, maybe WJ or the Summit boyz) to put a current Factory Stock engine in a current Pro Stock chassis with a hand-shifter (no air) trans, and maybe up the supercharger capacity in liters from FS, or drop the rear tire size down to a smaller lighter one and see what they will do on the track. If the Factory offered the car in turbo, then let them run an approved turbo package instead. Then maybe the Japanese and European cars would join Pro Stock and it could flourish.

Alfa Romeo anyone?

alfadragster2.jpg

That says nothing about what I was mentioning. You are concentrating on drivers. Maybe you need to read what I said again!

What's the point of him reading it again? I took it the exact same way as David and look at it the same way. If owners take their funds to a different class, you can bet your ass there will be a percentage of the existing team, possibly all of them, that will be taken along if they still want a job. You make it sound like if Pro Stock gets dropped, EVERYBODY will be out of work, and I guarantee you that won't be the case.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back