Pro Stock Show on Fox TV (1 Viewer)

A word of advice. I scheduled it for recording, and noticed it's following a live college basketball program. If you're going to be setting a recording, add extra time if (when) the game runs long.

Well Sundays live eliminations show was 2 hours long, if I recall, correct? All the shows in the past have been 3 hours long? If this was the case I never remember the PS segment of the 3 hour show being an hour long? So is this stand alone show for PS being an hour long a better thing? Will see in about 40 min..

NHRA is never gonna hear the end of this one... bball game just went into overtime. Hopefully they still air the whole hour... just a half hour late..

It was like watching grass grow. If nhra would increase the payout during qualifying and purse money increase per event it might help. Not even Brian or Bruno could help this.
Why not qualify them on Friday and race them Saturday. The only thing keeping this class alive is Elite and KB racing. Come on man!

Show ended 5 minutes early, no Ken Black shop tour that was promised. Could skip the "race your ride" fluff piece.

I enjoyed it, but I'll have to admit that I laughed at Bruno's explanation of the risk of looking for a loose valve lash cap. Does he not know what one is, or do I only know of one style of lash cap?
I've broken many pushrods (nitrous motors think they have good crunch I think) but I've not worried one iota once I knew the cap wasn't still on top of the head somewhere ... there are screens in the dry sump pan that'll never let the cap get anywhere else in the motor (unfortunately I've proven this to myself multiple times over the years). Bruno is sitting there talking about dropping a valve into the cylinder trying to look for a lash cap .... maybe it's happened before but none of the valve springs I run (all triples) have any room for a cap to find it's way in there .... it could happen at the moment the rocker arm is no longer .017" (or whatever they use for valve lash) but once your back in the pits this issue is pretty easy to put to bed in a matter of moments (including looking within the springs for a almost certainly crushed cap). These guys change valve springs between rounds like I change spark plugs....

Alan, school me here please .... I've stood around in Nickens shop for hours over the last few years, never seen any other lash cap style that required taking the keepers out .... even if they did any fool would spend the 10 seconds to put the leak down air pressure on the cylinder and a hammer probably wouldn't move that valve.

This is a second pretty odd technical story from Bruno on national TV. Yes, I do stupid stuff at the race track all the time .... but I pay for the privilege to show my ignorance to whoever is watching.

Last edited:
I bet they had no control on the race your ride stuff .... I'll bet you that the repeats won't suffer the live basketball game issue.

I watched it at a sports bar, and could see but not hear it. So I can't give a complete opinion. But will tell you what I saw.

It started late, bumped by a live basketball game that went to OT. I get it, when we run late with a live show, they don't dump us and I wouldn't expect them to dump college B-ball. They did run the show in it's entirety. And if we're 15 late somewhere, I don't want to be cut off.

I saw lots of interviews, most of the time on the other show, I would hear from the winner, but not many, if any along the way. I saw the clip (on twitter) when Jason Line was asked about the engine in his car compared to the one in Pomona and he said (Paraphrasing) This one is better because it runs and that one is blown up!

I saw Lewis Bloom and Jack Beckman at Irwindale showing how anyone can race. I liked it, as a guy who's local track is working hard to get racers off the street and on the track, I want more of that. On every show.

I didn't see inside of KB racing, thought I would. I will reserve opinion until I know why. If it was because Greg threatened to sue if they showed the cylinder head room then I'm PISSED! (That's a joke)

I'm curious as to what you guys thought, if you watched with an open mind. If you said this is stupid, and this is going to suck before seeing it and never gave it a chance, fine. You had your mind made up before you saw it, and I really don't care what you think now.

But if you think it needs tweaks or adjustments, I'm interested in hearing that. keep in mind, I'm not on the show, and I don't have any control of the show, so I'm asking as a watcher who is a BIG Pro Stock fan.

Alan

It was like watching grass grow. If nhra would increase the payout during qualifying and purse money increase per event it might help. Not even Brian or Bruno could help this.
Why not qualify them on Friday and race them Saturday. The only thing keeping this class alive is Elite and KB racing. Come on man!

I'm still not sure how increasing payouts is going to get more fans or new fans to watch? So you get a few more cars to attend still same old PS. If fans are leaving the stands at the track when PS comes to the line why would giving PS there own show help them get more TV viewers? Just because you give them more time does not mean you can force people to watch or like PS.

Tweaks: Don't schedule the show following a live broadcast so accurate start time is preserved. After show has aired make it available on NHRA TV.

Personally, I thought the broadcast was well done. I've already seen on other forums where people are saying stuff like, "Pro Stock gets boned again.....", due to the delay, but delays are nothing new to drag racing broadcasts. The "main" show, if that's what we now call it, has been delayed so many times over the years, including at ESPN that it's not worth talking about. Like Alan said, you're not going to trump live TV, and our sport hasn't been either. If we ran long, we stayed on.

I found myself getting a little antsy during the Bloom/Beckman segment, only because I wanted more coverage for the class. But if I'm being honest, I would have to agree with Alan and hope that this type of message gets aired regularly, like on EVERY show.

I must not have paid real close attention to the whole KB tour thing. I guess I understood it as that was something that was going to happen at some point this year, not necessarily the first show. If that was the case, then I would have to say that I'm disappointed it didn't happen. If it happens at a later date, then that's cool.

Along with the individual team features, I'd like to see a small technical segment each broadcast as well. Although there's likely not going to be enough shows throughout the year to do it, it would be pretty cool to a half dozen segments, from front bumper to wheelie bar on the high points of how these highly sophisticated/technical race cars are put together and ultimately work. Nothing so cheesy that a grade school kid would make fun of, but not so technically out of sight (which would be easy to do) that the average fan can't somewhat grasp the jest. I know when we watch the shows at home, my fiance' will put her book down during EVERY technical segment. As a spring maker by trade, I think a SpinTron segment would blow the average fan away as to what the valve train goes through on these motors.

Overall, I liked the show regardless of the delay.

Sean D

All in all, pretty well done. It's a shame the KB Racing tour got cut. The Lewis Bloom/Beckman 'Race Your Ride' thing, while I liked it, was covered on the Pomona coverage. Why not eliminate something we've seen and give us something we've been waiting to see...the K.B. shop tour? Nice tribute by Jeg to many of the guys over the years that have helped him....classy.

I give it an 8. :)

maybe they did show the KB tour, but with KB being so secretive, it was one of those subliminal cuts, like they do in the movies to sell snacks :p

I like the show, theres other shops to visit besides KB maybe chassis shops a lot goes into PS. I think as time and tweets get done, it could turn out to be a great show. I would even like to see shows on Sportsman racing, a lot there and besides that's where newcomers to sport start at. I give it a B for first show.

I am pretty thrilled we finally have a TV analyst that has rolled a race car into a trailer recently and has owned the number plate in the past. The jury is still out if owning a tow truck gives you cred.:p

maybe they did show the KB tour, but with KB being so secretive, it was one of those subliminal cuts, like they do in the movies to sell snacks :p
Kb facebook said it will be done at gainsville during broadcast

I liked it. It seemed to flow very good, with lots of racing, not so much BS talking. Minimum interviews was perfect. I will watch again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back