Pro Stock - question(s) and thoughts on the whole body thing.... (1 Viewer)

I always wondered the same thing. I've LOVE to see a Challenger P/S or funny car THAT LOOKS LIKE A CHALLENGER, or a Cadillac, or whatever. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers might too. How many Camaros do you think are sold to guys that like Greg Anderson's car. Not a whole lot I'd guess.

Wow, this topic didn't get derailed! :D

Anyway,

I don't know if a manufacturer's permission is required to build a PS body, but the body design has to be approved by NHRA. When I saw the first Camaro PS body (just a shell in flat black) my first thought was "that thing is so sliced-n-diced it's NOWHERE NEAR a stock Camaro." Yet NHRA approved it. And as you mention "scaling down" the Challenger, it really summarizes the whole problem with Pro Stock and why fans have lost interest. They look nothing like a production car - and haven't for over a decade. And that's at least partly why the class has been fading into oblivion. My 2 cents.
They haven't used stock bodies in probably 20 years. Aero mods started long before these Camaros. Aero mods which are part of pro stock and used to keep these 200+ mph cars in line. That's part of the whole "Pro" thing.

they can keep everything the same as it is now except for factory sheetmetal..........................has to be factory sheetmetal, slightly tuned to fit the big tires and EFI bump.
theres 300 other classes with cars that use factory sheet metal. Why do yall want to screw with this pro class, that's used aero modifications for years before this? It didn't start with these Camaros. You know that, right?

In case you guys forgot, these are not the exact same bodies.

s-l300.jpg

Vs

1998_dodge_avenger-pic-41342-1600x1200.jpeg

hpm0475a.jpg

But don't let that sidetrack you from pointing out the new Camaros only. How about an 04 Avenger pro stock body? Those were aero'd out, too.

avengerpkg.jpg

Vs

Attachments

• dodge-avenger-01.jpg
    dodge-avenger-01.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
theres 300 other classes with cars that use factory sheet metal. Why do yall want to screw with this pro class, that's used aero modifications for years before this? It didn't start with these Camaros. You know that, right?

yes I do, but if you want the avg. person to watch Pro "stock" they should at least reasonably resemble something you can buy at the dealer.
Aero mods are one thing morphing into a jelly bean is another. mini funny car

They haven't used stock bodies in probably 20 years. Aero mods started long before these Camaros. Aero mods which are part of pro stock and used to keep these 200+ mph cars in line. That's part of the whole "Pro" thing.

The class began with factory sheetmetal and was a pro class then.... so why not now? At least panel cars like they were for quite a while. It was originally intended to showcase what could be done with stock bodies (or very close to it). You are right, they probably can't go 200 mph without some aero, and I get it - that bell rung a long time ago and you can't un-ring it. My primary objection is not the application of some aero enhancements - the drooped front end era cars didn't look exactly stock, yet were closer than now - it's the wholesale chopping, bulging, morphing, and scaling down. In typical drag racer fashion; if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!

I wasn't intending to single out Camaros - they made the Dodge Darts into two doors, and the factory didn't even offer one! But it's all about the history my friend. From the point of view of those of us who were there in the beginning, we ask why did y'all want to screw with this pro class by allowing so many major body mods? It truly was an exciting class to watch, even thought the racing wasn't always as close (or fast) as it is today.

Food for thought. Pro stock is restricted to 105" wheelbase. A new Camaro is 112.3". Just wondering why a pro stock car can't be the factory wheelbase. Pro mod cars are 112" to 115", btw.

The class began with factory sheetmetal and was a pro class then.... so why not now? At least panel cars like they were for quite a while. It was originally intended to showcase what could be done with stock bodies (or very close to it). You are right, they probably can't go 200 mph without some aero, and I get it - that bell rung a long time ago and you can't un-ring it. My primary objection is not the application of some aero enhancements - the drooped front end era cars didn't look exactly stock, yet were closer than now - it's the wholesale chopping, bulging, morphing, and scaling down. In typical drag racer fashion; if some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!

I wasn't intending to single out Camaros - they made the Dodge Darts into two doors, and the factory didn't even offer one! But it's all about the history my friend. From the point of view of those of us who were there in the beginning, we ask why did y'all want to screw with this pro class by allowing so many major body mods? It truly was an exciting class to watch, even thought the racing wasn't always as close (or fast) as it is today.

I think some of these questions would best answered by the chassis builder since they have to make a body style fit. I recall a lot changes had to be made when the front wheel drive cars were introduced in the late 80's.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back