Pro Mods ready for Big Texas Weekend at Houston (1 Viewer)

HOUSTON (March 24) - The excitement of Pro Mod drag racing returns to Texas this weekend as the Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge presented by ProCare Rx contests its second of ten events at the O'Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals at Houston Raceway Park in Baytown, Texas.

Defending event champion of the fan-favorite five-second door-slammers, Joe Baker, said he's anxious to keep the Houston crown and get back to the winner's circle.

"Houston is a great track and an awesome place to race. There's so much history there, and the fans ... well, they're Texans - what else do you need to say? They do everything big in Texas - and they absolutely love Pro Mods," Baker said.

In 2008, Baker drove the Houston race as a substitute for now series-sponsor Roger Burgess and drove Burgess' '63 Corvette all the way to the Winner's circle with a fairy tale finish. This year, Baker will have to drive heads-up against Burgess who took low-qualifying title at the season's first event in a brand-new '67 Camaro.

Burgess said, "I'm sure Joe will be looking to repeat, but this time he'll have to get through our R2B2 Racing team and our Al Billes-tuned machines. For me, Gainesville was a great start to the season, and I'm looking to keep the ball rolling."

Also looking to keep his train rolling is Lexington, Ky. HVAC entrepreneur Rick Stivers in his Trane-sponsored '06 Stratus out of the Brad Anderson stable. Stivers took low ET honors in Gainesville with a blistering 5.987 seconds.

"I said it in Gainesville, and I'll say it again: bring it on. We've got the Brad-power and the car to beat," Stivers said.

Current points-leader Mike Castellana will lead the nitrous-powered cars of Al-Anabi into battle, having already proven he has what it takes to go rounds against the best Pro Mods in the land. Also appearing with the New York-based racer will be Burton Auxier and possibly racing veteran Shannon Jenkins.

"We're not 100-percent Shannon will be there because we've had some car issues, but I can tell you for certain we'll be there loaded for bear," Castellana said.

Drivers scheduled to attend the event include: Burton Auxier, Joe Baker, Roger Burgess, Mike Castellana, Raymond Commisso, Shannon Jenkins, Chip King, Mike Knowles, Harold Laird, Kenny Lang, Taylor Lastor, Jay Payne, Brad Personett, Danny Rowe, Rick Stivers, Al Suggs, and Tim Tindle.

Series sponsor, Get Screened America, is a healthcare screening/testing, education and awareness program designed to de-mystify the screening process and promote the importance of testing for disease states that can be so easily cured or treated if diagnosed in the early stages.

Qualifying is scheduled for 1 and 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 27 and 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Eliminations are scheduled to begin Saturday evening at 4:30 p.m. and conclude Sunday, March 30.

2008 Event Winner: Joe Baker (def. Tony Pontieri)
2008 Low Qualifier: Josh Hernandez 5.962
2008 Bump spot: 6.171 Seconds
2008 Top Speed: Raymond Commisso 244.87 mph

Track ET Record:
5.962 Josh Hernandez 2008

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back