Baker ready to defend Texas Crown (1 Viewer)

HOUSTON (March 24) - Defending Houston Get Screened America Pro Mod Challenge event-champion Joe Baker is looking to get his Matco Tools/Lend America ‘68 Camaro into the winner's circle and defend his title this weekend as the Pro Mods compete at the O'Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals at Houston Raceway Park in Baytown, Texas.

"Houston is a great track and an awesome place to race. There's so much history there, and the fans ... well, they're Texans - what else do you need to say? They do everything big in Texas - and they absolutely love Pro Mods," Baker said.

In 2008, Baker drove the Houston race as a substitute for now series-sponsor Roger Burgess all the way to the Winner's circle with a fairy tale finish. This year, Baker will have to drive heads-up against Burgess who took low-qualifying title at the season's first event. Baker made a quarterfinal finish in that event.

"This will be a challenging race, because the teams we're up against are the best out there. It'll take the drivers doing their part as much as the crew chiefs doing their best to get down the track - which is one advantage I see for us. Chuck [Ford, crew chief] is so good at what he does and is so consistent in his approach, it makes my job of driving easier because I can focus on doing the same thing every time I take a lap.

"If the weather is good, we'll see some really competitive times and some great racing. Get ready, Texas - here we come!" Baker said.

Qualifying is scheduled for 1 and 4:30 p.m. Friday, March 27 and 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Eliminations are scheduled to begin Saturday evening at 4:30 p.m. and conclude Sunday, March 30.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back