Pro Mod's Future (1 Viewer)

Is it just me, or do these current Pro Mod cars have some significant features in common wirth the ever-popular Gas Coupes of yesteryear?

I am talking about the general layout of the chasses; Both have a 10% engine setback rule, both require doorslammer-type bodies and both require 4-wheel, sprung suspension.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

It seems like an AG/S car from 1962 would make a good Pro Mod car if it had 3,000 horsepower instead of 700, like it had in 1962.

Is there any validity to this line of thinking?

Thanks for any comments, ideas, etc...

I guess there's some similarities, but as far as their on track antics, many folks think they are the AA/FAs of the modern day. No matter how you slice it, they are badass, and I dig the variety. I hope they reach a deal to come back next year.

Well, put 3,000 horsepower in Big John Mazmanian's '41 Willys and Bones Balough would have his hands full.... LOL!

I think the "show" these cars produce is definitely on the level of a Fuel Altered... The "squirrelly" factor is right up there.... :)

How about contesting Pro mod at more events but limiting the number each team can claim towards the championship?

If the NHRA does nothing is there a chance the IHRA may step in and offer the Pro Mods a deal?

Just thinking out loud!!
Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

An interesting thought. Hopefully the 2 parties can resolve it.

The current IHRA Pro Mod fields are hit or miss as far as car counts go.

I know that many are averse to 1/8 mile racing, but IMO, the 3 classes of Pro Mods that the PDRA runs put on a helluva show.

"The source said NHRA management believed that the RPM racers and NHRA had found common ground to continue the series in 2017 with the additional two races added to the schedule that NHRA had wanted this year but the RPM group did not want to add."

Hmmmmm......... Isn't this the very thing we've been discussing??? Lmao!! Yeah, it's a very small, almost unnoticeable proposition, but NHRA is already wanting to add races. Well, you see that the group doesn't want that. I've said before, as have others, and will say it again; If you want to kill this class, start adding races.

I will say, however, that David's idea may have some potential. Although there will be better funded teams still run as blockers after they're done claiming points. I understand NHRA's desire to capitalize on the popularity of the class, but it can't be done by arbitrarily adding races.

Sean D

Leave it to NHRA to screw up a good working class. "Let's not keep doing what's working we will shove a couple more races down their throats and make a few other changes and in no time they will go from 30 entry's to our goal of 15 entry's per class that we desire." Sarcasm in case you missed it.
Considering that these guys pay NHRA to race they should be able to decide on their own how much they want to race or don't want to race.

Sean and Troy, I think you may be misunderstanding the issue just a bit. It's not that the racers don't want to race more events. I've talked to a few of the pro mod teams and they are all for a 14-18 event season. What they're against is having to pay for the races out of their own pocket. Jim and Annie Whiteley (J & A Services) pay the $300k required to run the existing 10 race series (I don't know any details about the other $50k the article references). I think the real frustration lies in the fact that NHRA seems unwilling or unable to either press on Mellow Yellow or bring in a different company to put up the $300-$600k it takes to run a 10-18 race schedule.

Pro Mod brings 24-32 cars per event yet they're not under the Mellow Yellow umbrella, while other classes bring 14-21 cars to an event and their series is paid for by the Mellow Yellow sponsorship. It just doesn't make sense to me how the pro classes can be sponsored by Mellow Yellow, the sportsman series are sponsored by Lucas Oil, yet Pro Mod is told they have to fend for themselves.

Is it just me, or do these current Pro Mod cars have some significant features in common wirth the ever-popular Gas Coupes of yesteryear?

I am talking about the general layout of the chasses; Both have a 10% engine setback rule, both require doorslammer-type bodies and both require 4-wheel, sprung suspension.

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

It seems like an AG/S car from 1962 would make a good Pro Mod car if it had 3,000 horsepower instead of 700, like it had in 1962.

Is there any validity to this line of thinking?

Thanks for any comments, ideas, etc...

I felt the same until the newer body styles came and RUINED the looks of the cars. :( However, still good racing. :)

nhra has 48 pro cars racing on sundays, 48 teams looking/wishing/hoping for sponsor assistance.PS is struggling, there are not enough well sponsored TF and FC teams touring to fill the fields, small guys relied upon heavily rite now to fill fields. why on earth would you want to introduce 20+ more teams to your pro structure when it's treading water at best!?.....sorry, sometimes certain classes were there first, and even though your class is 'cool', someone else's business model does not have a spot for you. will ProMod increase tv ratings? no. will ProMod increase attendance? no. nhra is set up around it's nitro classes, at least today it is......keep them as healthy as possible, do not dilute already diluted sponsor and purse dollars.

Sean and Troy, I think you may be misunderstanding the issue just a bit. It's not that the racers don't want to race more events. I've talked to a few of the pro mod teams and they are all for a 14-18 event season. What they're against is having to pay for the races out of their own pocket. Jim and Annie Whiteley (J & A Services) pay the $300k required to run the existing 10 race series (I don't know any details about the other $50k the article references). I think the real frustration lies in the fact that NHRA seems unwilling or unable to either press on Mellow Yellow or bring in a different company to put up the $300-$600k it takes to run a 10-18 race schedule.

Pro Mod brings 24-32 cars per event yet they're not under the Mellow Yellow umbrella, while other classes bring 14-21 cars to an event and their series is paid for by the Mellow Yellow sponsorship. It just doesn't make sense to me how the pro classes can be sponsored by Mellow Yellow, the sportsman series are sponsored by Lucas Oil, yet Pro Mod is told they have to fend for themselves.

I can see what you're saying. However, at what point (number of races) do you begin the downfall? If they're put under the Mello Yello banner, NHRA will likely expect them to run the full schedule, doubling the budget required to run the operation. Like Pro Stock, Pro Mod has the haves and have nots, so if the schedule gets doubled, I can't believe it won't hurt participation, regardless of who is paying the bills.

I can't help but wonder if there was some sort of split between them and Pro Stock, that it may not be beneficial to both classes......

Sean D

If I recall the NHRA is limited to 4 Pro Classes as a result of the Pro Stock Truck lawsuit. They used the "We can only support 4 Pro Classes" excuse as a reason to drop PST.

Just to clarify my point a bit, I wasn't saying Pro Mod should replace one of the Pro Stock classes, or that they should necessarily become a fifth pro class. I'm merely stating that it doesn't seem like the sanctioning body is doing much to try and bring in a sponsor even though they would like the cars to race at more events in the future. Also, I'm not saying dilute the existing sponsor dollars. If Mellow Yellow or Lucas Oil want nothing to do with Pro Mod or they are not interested in sending more marketing dollars drag racing's way, then sign a contract with Google, Apple, Goodyear, Exxon, somebody to sponsor the class (I know it's easier said than done). Which brings me to my next point.

Mark, I disagree that Pro Mod can't/won't increase TV and event attendance. There are plenty of racing organizations running either full blown Pro Mod or Pro Mod style classes both 1/8 and 1/4 mile that have great attendance both from a racer and spectator perspective. Plus, didn't NHRA sign some sort of partnership with Big Chief from Street Outlaws to get racing off the streets and onto the track? I don't watch Street Outlaws, but I hear it gets pretty good ratings and I've also heard/read that a bunch of the cars on the show are basically Pro Mod cars.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but if there was a 16 race, NHRA Exxon Pro Mod series, I think there would be some additional racer and fan interest. If they can't become a full on "Pro" class, then show the quarterfinals and semi finals during the downtime on the broadcasts between the semis and finals of the nitro cars. Then lead off with the Pro Mod final before the official Pro finals.

In conclusion, it seems to me that heads up, power adder, door slammer racing is really popular across the country so why wouldn't the largest drag racing organization want to fully be a part of it?

For me it is simple!!!!

Pro Stock is just not working anymore to help improve the show for the fans.

We can argue until the cows come home on why it's not working and why the car counts are so low but the bottom line is something is wrong.

Something has to be done other then just watch the slow death of a once very popular class.

Why not at least try running the Pro Mods even if it is a limited schedule for now to see if it attracts more fans and puts on a better show.

It's simple if you want more fans put on a better show for them.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Last edited:
Why not rotate which races have Pro Mod each season as a way of increasing exposure? Increase the number of races to 12, then change up the events they race at. Maybe alternated with PSM. For instance Brainerd has PSM this year, next year replace it with Pro Mod and have PSM at a track they weren't at the season before.

i would think, with recent departure of V, and short fields, that the nhra should at least get together with team owners/drivers
and have a real discussion where the class is headed......maybe get performance parts companies involved too

I liked PM best in the early 90's when you saw Willy's, '57 chevy's, Johnny Rocca's '51 Merc, the class had Personally! They have totally have gotten away from that!

Joe, there's still a ton of variety! Mustangs, old and new, Corvettes and Camaros, old and new, Dodge Daytonas, etc. And, three types of power plants, all running pretty close to each other.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back