Pro Mod Crashes (1 Viewer)

:eek:Was I the only one who seen Adam Flamholcs arm sticking out of the roof while the car was doing barrel rolls? He is super lucky to still have it.

Joe I was at Indy, and saw a wide variety of body styles, in addition to the blower, nitrous and turbo set-ups. '63 Vettes, new C6 Vettes like Coughlin's, '68-70 style camaros as well as the new version, Superbirds, Harold Martin's one-off special (not sure how it's legal but it's wild), old Mustangs and new generation Mustangs, were all there. On top of the bodies, and the powerplants, then you have the paint jobs, which are off the hook. Just a great class.

I think it's time for the NHRA, ADRL etc to allow the use of a top-fuel style tall wing on the back of the cars. JMO....

Pro Stock cars are volatile enough, and they run so loose for efficient energy transfer towards speed.

Now lets take the same wheelbase and basic suspension geometry and give it another few hundred pounds to push and twice the horsepower. In the case of nitrous cars, probably 3+ times the torque.

Now.. Downforce.. Well, this is a double edged sword because unless they put big wings on the front, or completely drop the nose of the car, most of the cars are already downforce heavy on the rear. At speed this makes it nose light, which means the drive can't steer with full input until they lift. Part of the reason steering input on funny cars is like it is would be gear reduction in the box, but also the fact the front wheels are barely touching the ground between acceleration and rear downforce at speed.

This is why you see funny cars and pro mods getting out of hand when the drivers lift. They have steering input in that isn't working like it should and when they lift, all of a sudden it works again.

Pro Mods need more Centerline stability at speed, I'm surprised you don't see more single sharkfin type spill plates just right down the middle. Most Pro Mods won't run spill plates like TAFC because they will create a downforce imbalance towards the rear and take away steering at speed. The exception being the R2B2 built cars, which run huge spill plates by comparison, but also seem longer in the body than most and seems to have the weight balance/motor more forward proportionately.

The cars are just inherently unstable. There's a reason we call em Guard Rail Gliders, some if it is situational and out of driver control(breakage/leaks, tuneup), but more often than not the problem is the car getting ahead of the driver and the driver letting it get that far. And that's not meant to mean Pro Mod drivers can't drive, it just means the car doesn't allow them to correct like with other vehicles. You see less TAFC wrecks because problems/inputs aren't compounded by squishy corners on the car.

I stopped going to ADRL races years ago because I couldn't stand the carnage. I went to two races in a row where at least 3 cars wound up on their lids and I was done.

The nitro mater was a funny car (and the genesis of this website). The killer red mater was the greatest pro mod of all time.

I remember Scotty and his F/C being called the Nitro Mater... I didn't find this site till several years after that... How did this website tie in with that FC?

The Pro Mod days if the IHRA... how fun were they? My fav event of all time was an IHRA race, mid 90's at Norwalk. So many pro mod cars of all shapes and sizes. OnSat leading the way!

Back in the late 90's or very early 2000's GoRacing.com had the most popular NHRA message board. Jerrod Felix started Nitromater.com, as really a Scotty Cannon fan site with a message board. Jerrod sent a PM out to some people on GoRacing.com about his new message board, and to check it out. I'm pretty sure Jeannie Allsage was the first person to post on Nitromater, I was second or third after her post, and it now turned into what it is today.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back