Portland International Raceway Carbon neutral (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
While the story below sounds good this is probably the last kick that will put an end to PIR for good. If you didn't think all this horse sh!t about global warming won't effect your life it will. It will be the end of the middle class before this liberal wrecking crew is done and if you need some more real life examples read the Bob Gilbertson thread.

7:20 a.m.
Portland working to offset carbon emissions at race track
Associated Press
April 9, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. — The city is revving up to perhaps make Portland International Raceway the first carbon-neutral track in the United States.

The city’s Bureau of Parks & Recreation, with help from the city’s office of sustainable development, is collecting data to determine how much carbon is emitted from the city-owned track.

Officials will then create a plan to offset those emissions. Details are sketchy because the program is in the planning stages. But it could mean more trees planted in surrounding neighborhoods, or the promotion of alternative energies on Hayden Island.

Though auto racing doesn’t spring to mind when one thinks of environmental-friendly sports, track manager Mark Wigginton told The Oregonian newspaper that the raceway has already been thinking green.

“We’re a park, a motor sports park,” Wigginton said. “We already do a lot of things that people don’t think about.”

The track, for example, has bicycle races, rollerblading, in-line skating and electric-car drag racing. It also does lots of recycling.

“I think we’re building off momentum that has already started,” said Todd Lofgren, the business development coordinator for the Parks Bureau. “I don’t see us as starting from ground zero here.”

Nationally, the auto racing industry has also begun to think of the environment.

Champ Car, which races at the north Portland track each summer, runs on methanol. The Indy Racing League’s IndyCar series is running on ethanol this year. A car powered by diesel fuel won the American Le Mans race in Portland last summer. And while NASCAR lags behind some series, it recently started using unleaded fuel.

Wigginton thinks the move toward environmentalism could help solve the biggest complaint about the track: the noise. Green building upgrades like insulation and double-paned windows would make things quieter for neighbors.

“There are some people who are really bothered by that,” he said of the noise. “If we can have a double fix, that would be great.”

If they have bicycle races how can the park be carbon-neutral? People exhale carbon dioxide.

My cousin lives in Portland...I like to give her a hard time about all the pointless tree-hugging that goes on. I have to remind her that they make Freightshakers there...I work(ed) for Peterbilt here until the EPA had something to do with it!

Until we get a handle on how to control cow farts the rest of this environmental gobbledeegook is a waste of time.

My cousin lives in Portland...I like to give her a hard time about all the pointless tree-hugging that goes on. I have to remind her that they make Freightshakers there...I work(ed) for Peterbilt here until the EPA had something to do with it!
They used to build Freightshakers here...they just laid off 700 people and they're now all going to be built in North Carolina and Mexico. I really can't blame them, this city is so anti-business friendly and the highway congestion is such a joke that I'm surprised they (and anybody else) have stayed this long.

Lars Larson read my email in total on the air today and said he totally agreed. Here it is:

Lars,
I see the boys with the pink sweaters who are ringing their hands about global warming are at it agian. Now the city council wants to make PIR "carbon neutral" by providing the community alternative forms of racing such as electric drag racing, roller blading and bike racing. The truth is that the minute someone actually exhales out there they will be producing carbon.

If they really want to go the extra mile they should cancel the Indy car race because the dirty little secerate is even if the cars race on methanol, more carbon will be produced by the fans who drive to the track, the trucks that transport the cars and support equipment from other states, and the people who fly in for the race from across the country, than anything else that goes on out there.

Rich

If they really want to go the extra mile they should cancel the Indy car race because the dirty little secerate is even if the cars race on methanol, more carbon will be produced by the fans who drive to the track, the trucks that transport the cars and support equipment from other states, and the people who fly in for the race from across the country, than anything else that goes on out there.

Rich

If thats the case, they'd better start looking at ALL events where folks have to drive to it.. Trailblazers have a few acres of cars out front during the season, and lets not forget about the Ducks...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back