More news about the NHRA Sanctioned track in Portland Oregon (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
In the spirit of Portland Oregon, the anti-automobile, social justice city council asked a group of so-called "citizens" to identify some troubling sources of noise around this once great city that is now a hive for social progressives. Of course the already-neutered Portland International Raceway was at the top of the list, followed by cargo planes at the airport, and train whistles. Who knows what these car haters have in store for San Francisco North, but whatever it is can't be good. Probably a light rail line around the PIR property and bicycle races.

I guess it makes no difference anyway as we are to loud to race there anyway.

I used to enjoy going to Portland Speedway but now it's gone. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to PIR.

You know what, E-town suffered the same problem. Rich snobs would move into the area around the track without doing ANY research (and what the bloody h*ll is E-town famous for? :rolleyes: ) and then complain that "that goddamn track is making too much noise!" Some of them even tried going to court to have the track shut down, but the judge threw the case out because A). The track was there first and B). Do some freakin' research next time you buy a house!

I work in a call center and one time I got a customer that lived in E-town. He told me exactly what went wrong here: E-town became the target of developers to build huge expensive homes. When real estate agents presented the homes to potential buyers they presented E-town as a nice serene community. The agents also knew what kind of buyers they were and strategically made no mention of the dragstrip because THEY KNEW IT WOULD RESULT IN LOSING A SALE! :rolleyes: My customer stated the the E-town real estate agents are now required to inform potential buyers of the dragstrip even if it cost them a sale.

Here is another article that I read earlier concerning the noise at PIR.

Survey: Noise at Portland track not so bad - Examiner.com

PORTLAND, Ore. - A new survey shows that most people who live in North Portland are not bothered by the roar coming from the Portland International Raceway.

Though a group of residents asked the city to limit races at the track, the phone survey of 300 people, funded by the city and conducted in September, showed that about two-thirds of respondents said the noise is not a concern. Only 13 percent of respondents called it a very serious concern.

City Commissioner Sam Adams said the results surprised him.

"I thought there would be more complaints in the open-window season about PIR," Adams said. "I thought there would be more complaints in the neighborhoods right around PIR."

So, perhaps things aren't as bad as they seem.

Peace,
Mike Cornelius
a.k.a. NHRAMike

That's the way this buisness works in Portland Oregon, Mike. These people will rule in the favor of a few over the majority. PIR will never get a big drag race again because of those who run the city.

Sam Adams who talks from both sides of his mouth and he's just as bad commissioners Sten, Saltsman, Lenard, and Mayor Potter who went on bike rides with Critical Mass. This bunch couldn't manage five dollars properly if they had to and are driving businesses out of Portland in droves. The political climate has made it a city to aviod.

Last edited:
Some of them even tried going to court to have the track shut down, but the judge threw the case out because A). The track was there first and B). Do some freakin' research next time you buy a house!

2 things that I thought would never go together ... New Jersey and common sense. That is one of the few judges in America that would have ruled that way, and here are a couple reasons. Most judges will rule "in the interest of the majority", meaning they usually will not let one entity (in this case a drag strip) disturb, degrade or devalue real property or living experiences of the majority (in this case the people who now live around Old Bridge Raceway). Secondly, most judges only have 1 agenda, and that is to get re-elected. 1 business owner cannot replace the hundreds or thousands of votes of the residents he is ultimately ruling against in this case.

In the spirit of Portland Oregon, the anti-automobile, social justice city council asked a group of so-called "citizens" to identify some troubling sources of noise around this once great city that is now a hive for social progressives. Of course the already-neutered Portland International Raceway was at the top of the list, followed by cargo planes at the airport, and train whistles. Who knows what these car haters have in store for San Francisco North, but whatever it is can't be good. Probably a light rail line around the PIR property and bicycle races.

I guess it makes no difference anyway as we are to loud to race there anyway.
The only reason this track exists today is because the CART race is the cash cow that supports the Rose Festival. If it wasn't for that, the property would be gone just like the track across the freeway is.

William, I will say to the city's credit they had nothing to do with the spreedway shutting down. William, that was an OCIR-style deal where the property owners had other plans for the property. Plus they doomed themselves by ripping up the pavement for the World of Outlaws. Then the WO didn't grant them another year on the schedule so Craig Armstrong shut the joint down a year earlier then he had too.

William, you are probably right about the CART race but even that has fallen on hard times.

William, you are probably right about the CART race but even that has fallen on hard times.
Yep, you`re right about that Rich...sheesh, I can`t even believe they used to run 32 Funny Cars up there. Boise, Portland, Seattle...used to be a helluva three weekend stretch for Funny Car match racing back in the day!

William, I will say to the city's credit they had nothing to do with the spreedway shutting down. William, that was an OCIR-style deal where the property owners had other plans for the property. Plus they doomed themselves by ripping up the pavement for the World of Outlaws. Then the WO didn't grant them another year on the schedule so Craig Armstrong shut the joint down a year earlier then he had too.

Yeah, I just didn't make it clear that they were separate circumstances but just that PIR could be a ghost town like the speedway. It is true about the finances supporting the Rose Festival. The powers that be went into a panic a couple of years ago when it looked like CART was going out of business and the IRL wasn't interested in staging an event there. It is just too bad that they can't make a noise exception for a couple of drag racing weekends and get it going again. But the loonies do control the purse strings.

William, a friend of mine has been working behind the scenes to get a noise verience for a Top Comp race. He almost had one last year until Saltzman pulled the rug out from under it. Remember it was Saltzman that doomed the points race a couple of years ago.

William, We're hoping that the rumors are true and that sooner or later the CART race is history. Once and if that happens he might get a race. Until then it Woodburn, Woodburn, Woodburn.

You know what, E-town suffered the same problem. Rich snobs would move into the area around the track without doing ANY research (and what the bloody h*ll is E-town famous for? :rolleyes: ) and then complain that "that goddamn track is making too much noise!" Some of them even tried going to court to have the track shut down, but the judge threw the case out because A). The track was there first and B). Do some freakin' research next time you buy a house!

I work in a call center and one time I got a customer that lived in E-town. He told me exactly what went wrong here: E-town became the target of developers to build huge expensive homes. When real estate agents presented the homes to potential buyers they presented E-town as a nice serene community. The agents also knew what kind of buyers they were and strategically made no mention of the dragstrip because THEY KNEW IT WOULD RESULT IN LOSING A SALE! :rolleyes: My customer stated the the E-town real estate agents are now required to inform potential buyers of the dragstrip even if it cost them a sale.

You know? This reminds me of a topic that Bruce Williams was talking about on his radio show months ago. That being the way many ethnic groups will intentionally populate a neighborhood. He said that once one he was living in was filling up with Greeks, and that one told him if he was ever going to move, to not list it, that they'd get a relative to pay whatever price he wanted. He said that's exactly what happened, too.

Why don't drag racers do the same thing and move into the areas around dragstrips? We know WE won't complain about the music..ahem...noise. We could tell neighbors the same thing. When you get ready to move, don't list it. We'll get someone to buy it from you.

William, a friend of mine has been working behind the scenes to get a noise verience for a Top Comp race. He almost had one last year until Saltzman pulled the rug out from under it. Remember it was Saltzman that doomed the points race a couple of years ago.

William, We're hoping that the rumors are true and that sooner or later the CART race is history. Once and if that happens he might get a race. Until then it Woodburn, Woodburn, Woodburn.
Rich, you're certainly more up on it than I am. My point is just that if the cash cow for the Rose Festival goes away, so does PIR. I think it was about 5 years or so ago that some cars were invited to the weekly door slammers night event to conduct noise tests and that came in at acceptable limits. Some hopes were raised that something might become of it, but again nothing. But it's now much later and more loonies have infected the population and it may not be much longer that a black flag flies over the former PIR. As for Woodburn, it really is the only game in town but it needs some $$$ pumped into it.

That's the way this buisness works in Portland Oregon, Mike. These people will rule in the favor of a few over the majority. PIR will never get a big drag race again because of those who run the city.

Sam Adams who talks from both sides of his mouth and he's just as bad commissioners Sten, Saltsman, Lenard, and Mayor Potter who went on bike rides with Critical Mass. This bunch couldn't manage five dollars properly if they had to and are driving businesses out of Portland in droves. The political climate has made it a city to aviod.
Rich-- I know nothing about Portland (and it sounds like you live there or close by] but recently I saw an article that listed it as one of the most desireable cities to live in and that the population was growing.???????

William, several of my friends were involved in that test...There was about ten people that called and complained and they were the same folks that always call.

Portland is like San Francisco. It's become a town of career minded people without children, and a lot of downtown bums. The schools are loosing pupils and some are closing as famlies leave the city and move out to the suburbs and across the river to Vancouver. Traffic is nearly as bad as Seattle and taxes are high. It's a beautiful area but it rains a lot. I live about 40 miles away and it's not so bad here. But thats the way it is with the Bay area as there's a lot of good places to live but you generally stay out of the city unless you have business or going to some kind of an event.

Here's an interesting article I found about the neighbors of Chicago's O'Hare airport and the noise involved. Perhaps the city of Portland will do the same:rolleyes:

Soundproofing? Yes, Please!

By BOBBY CHILVER

Journal Reporter

Several residents exclaimed, "We're getting free windows!" as they entered the Des Plaines City Council Chambers Wednesday night.

The meeting was the second of two meetings in which Des Plaines residents near O'Hare Airport gathered at City Hall to apply for the soundproofing of their homes.

A standing room only crowd packed into City Hall to listen to several city and airport officials instruct them on how to go about the soundproofing process. The soundproofing is part of the Residential Sound Insulation Program, coordinated by the O'Hare Noise Compatibility Commission (ONCC). Des Plaines Ald. Tom Becker (6th) said that 263 Des Plaines homes will be soundproofed as part of this year's program. Becker and Mayor Tony Arredia stressed the quality of the work done and the large difference in noise residents will notice after the installations.

"The windows you have do not muffle the sound anywhere close to what these do," Becker told the crowd. "You will not be sorry."

As part of the program, if one house on a block qualifies for the soundproofing, all the houses on the block qualify. The soundproofing is free of charge to the residents. It is funded by the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Airport Improvement Program (AIP) and the City of Chicago.

The goal of the program is to reduce the noise in the houses by five decibels. All houses will be eligible for new windows, doors, and storm doors with a high sound transmission class (STC). STC ratings are an established way to average how much sound is stopped by something. Residents were told that most popular windows have a STC of about 28, while the new soundproof windows will have an STC of 40.

Arlene Williams, Chicago Airports Resources Enterprise (CARE) program manager, explained the entire process of the soundproofing and the options residents have.

There are three soundproofing options that residents can apply for. The first option is for new windows, doors, and storm doors. Those with frame houses will be eligible for the second option, which includes an extra layer of drywall on all living areas as well as the windows and doors. Finally, option three includes the windows, doors, and an air conditioning system. Only those houses without current central air conditioning are eligible for option three.

Residents turned in their application sheets at the end of the meeting, which held them a spot in the program. Those who applied for the soundproofing will also be able to visit a showroom later in the month and choose which styles of windows, doors, and storm doors they would like.

Residents will then be called to schedule a Home Inventory Appointment in which the residents will choose which options they prefer. The next step will be a field measurements appointment to get the windows and doors exact measurements. Each window and door will be custom made for the specific houses. The residents will then find out two weeks in advance when the actual construction will take place.

Bill Brogan, Chicago Dept. of Aviation assistant commissioner, warned residents to never give anyone any form of payment, as there have been scam artists in the past trying to get money out of unsuspecting residents. He explained that all people working on the house must have an airport certified badge. If they do not have the badge, Brogan stressed not letting them into the house. Brogan said a man was arrested last year for calling residents in the program and posing as an airport official

The contract for the construction of the soundproofing has not been bid out yet, so Williams said she could not give any guesses as to when the actual construction will be done.

Sounds like a great idea. Send it to Saltsman, Sam Adams, Eric Stin. The problem is they don't like businesses and econmic development, especially anything that promotes global warming! Just last week the Oregonian told us that we are causing global warming by eating breakfast so there you go!

A good idea but there IS a slight difference beetween O hare and PIR as far as how many people use it. That is one of the worlds major hubs and open 24/7-365. The people that complain will not get city cooperation that will cost the city govt. that kind of money. Unfortunately I doubt the drag racing community could be able to either. As a sand duner I am seeing land closures everywhere as enthusiasts PUBLICLY owned riding/driving areas are under attack by the tree huggers. They have deep pockets and good lawyers to put in them.

In the PIR case it's any one notenvironmental group that's applying the pressure it's just bitchy neighbors with a city council made up of pink sweater wearing pansies that buy into all the liberal thought out there including the scam on global warming.

Just to show you how nuts they are, Last week they voted that the US pull out of Iraq. Regardless of where people stand on the war, they are powerless to do anything about it, so why not concentrate on the pot holes?

In the PIR case it's any one notenvironmental group that's applying the pressure it's just bitchy neighbors with a city council made up of pink sweater wearing pansies that buy into all the liberal thought out there including the scam on global warming.

Rich, you always seem to place any problems that a racetrack has on "bitchy neighbors" and "liberal thinking" but have you ever flown into John Wayne Airport in Orange County?
When my wife and I got married a few years back, she wanted to do it back in the area where she grew up and have her friends in her wedding party, so my best-man, his wife and groomsmen all flew down to OC on Friday evening, only to be told that because the plane was delayed in Portland they were going to have to land at LAX and take a shuttle bus to OC because there is an 11:00 noise curfew at John Wayne. Now with hotel and rental car reservations all staged at the airport, my friends finally got to their hotel around 1:00 AM but had to wait until the next morning to get the car because the rental agency also closed at 11:00. Needless to say my friends had a less than favorable opinion of the southland because of this experience.
My point to this is that the last time I checked, Orange County is hardly a place that is a hotbed of "liberal thinking" , so could it be possible that people from all walks of life, whether they are liberal or conservative do not want noise bringing their property values down.

Just a little food for thought.
Peace,
Mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back