Pomona Comments (1 Viewer)

Was watching the race and the kid who was watching Wrestlemania mentioned that NHRA got a small rub on WWE Smackdown last night. Went to verify. And sure enough. Announcer plugged the Pomona airing. Thought that it was pretty cool to be mentioned on a major program like that, even tho it sounded like he forgot the A in NHRA.

Couldn't sell enough seats on that side to justify hiring extra staff for concessions, security, etc. on that side, so they just close it and make everyone sit on one side
Yes, I've noticed the far side stands have been closed in the last few years....which is a REAL shame!
If you could endure the long walk needed to get there from the far away pits/concessions—the fan experience was MUCH better.
Here's why:
1. The stands are MUCH closer to the strip. This means the whole fuel racing experience is amped up to 11 (volume, chest vibrations...even grandstand vibrations!).
2. There's only 13 rows so even the top row yields great viewing.
3. Behind the top row is wall of signs. That wall bounces the sound right back at you!
4. In the afternoon that same wall and grandstand orientation means you won't have the sun in your face the last 2 rounds.
Although I'm not attending this race I've been taking newbies for the last 2 years and have told them about the far side grandstands. But unfortunately we haven't had a chance to experience Pomona Drag Strip on its true LEVEL 11 experience! ("Well, that would be one more than ten, right?" *LOL*)

Believe me, sitting on the far side is akin to taking off the heavy wool blanket you had over your head when sitting on the pit side stands! 🤩

Last edited:
French fries do not belong in a burrito!
I have been surviving on fried taters, egg and cheese burritos the last few months Ted. Trust me, it would change your prospective on delicious. They add another layer of flavor...

I have been surviving on fried taters, egg and cheese burritos the last few months Ted. Trust me, it would change your prospective on delicious. They add another layer of flavor...
Ray, I don’t think I can get talked into putting French fries onto a burrito again.
But, chopped up potatoes might be a different matter. Weird, I know because they are basically the same thing.
It’s a matter of semantics, I guess.
When I make breakfast burritos I use only eggs (from our own chickens), lots of jalapeños, cheese and onions. Then I top them off with my wife’s homemade hot salsa.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Legends/Nostalgia Funny Cars run, but I hope they don't screw up, try to rotate the earth, and oil the Pomona track. I understand this race is part of their series, so they are not just putting on a show exactly. Just keep the parts and the oil in the engine so the weekend show keeps moving. Best impression they could make on everyone is a whole lot of nice, strong, clean runs. And let's have some long, smokey burnouts to "Show-up" the Big Show cars.
They did all of the above! I was talking with some NFC crew guys Saturday and the reason they run 1,000 foot was kind of a compromise with NHRA to prevent oildowns, and as nitro racers be quicker than the alcohol cars (since a lot of fans don't know what they are looking at or what typical performance is for NFCs). Obviously they don't want to oil, but stuff happens when you run all out. They did great burnouts and the racing was good. I was sitting at about 280 ft. out and they were the only cars to burnout that far.

Last edited:
Ray, I don’t think I can get talked into putting French fries onto a burrito again.
But, chopped up potatoes might be a different matter. Weird, I know because they are basically the same thing.
It’s a matter of semantics, I guess.
When I make breakfast burritos I use only eggs (from our own chickens), lots of jalapeños, cheese and onions. Then I top them off with my wife’s homemade hot salsa.

It was a great race. Good competition and the nostalgia FC show was great. Ashley already looks unbeatable with his RT’s and top tuners. Only bad luck in the countdown can stop him I think. There are several good leavers but he’s in a class by himself.

They did all of the above! I was talking with some NFC crew guys Saturday and the reason they run 1,000 foot was kind of a compromise with NHRA to prevent oildowns, and as nitro racers be quicker than the alcohol cars (since a lot of fans don't know what they are looking at or what typical performance is for NFCs). Obviously they don't want to oil, but stuff happens when you run all out. They did great burnouts and the racing was good. I was sitting at about 280 ft. out and they were the only cars to burnout that far.

Yes, the NFC cars did really well and put on a very good show. Competitive races, and no oil downs. A big thumbs up to all of those guys for their Fri and Sat show. It also really added to the fan "Experience" at Pomona, with the BIg Show fuel cars, then TA/FC and TA/dragster, and then the NFC cars, it was non-stop action in the stands for quite a while.

Paul, was that a Calfornia burrito?

No. Breakfast chorizo, egg, beans, onions, cilantro, and salsa from El Merendero next door.

Can we permanently ban the guy who did the national anthem from all future NHRA events? There's butchering it, and then there's playing it so poorly you can't even recognize the song...

Holy crap it was THE worst rendition of the Anthem I have ever heard at Pomona. In the grandstand where I was, everybody barely gave a half-hearted golf clap. Never heard such a quiet response like that at Pomona. It was shocking.

20230402_100936.jpg

Geneva was transported to a local hospital for "observation" and John is OK [Except for his wallet!].

Both are veteran TD drivers with 100's of passes in fast dragsters.

That's me in the red circle! Really glad both drivers are ok. The throttles kept womping while the cars were barrel-rolling.

that's me.jpg

Genevas car is called The Gambler. For a long time, I thought she was from Vegas, cuz of the name, but she is a Calif racer. I really like the way that car looked. Reminded me of a T/AD. Hope both drivers get back to racing soon.

Was watching the race and the kid who was watching Wrestlemania mentioned that NHRA got a small rub on WWE Smackdown last night. Went to verify. And sure enough. Announcer plugged the Pomona airing. Thought that it was pretty cool to be mentioned on a major program like that, even tho it sounded like he forgot the A in NHRA.
Yes, due to both shows being aired on Fox, it made natural sense to cross promote.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back