Please support my polar plunge for Special Olympics (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
It's that time of year again where I make a fool of myself.....well ok I tend to do that more than just once a year but, this is the time when it involves a crazy outfit, a swim in a frozen lake and of course your kind donation. Yes it is time for the Special Olympics Polar Plunge.

For those new to my yearly thread I serve as the Assistant Area Director and a coach for Livingston County Special Olympics (Michigan). It is an organization that I am honored to be apart of. We survive solely on donations and fundraisers. We are not apart of the United Way or any other organization. We are now entering our 3rd year with the polar plunge. For those of you blessed to be in warmer climates let me explain a polar plunge. On February 16th we will head out to Gallup Park here in Ann Arbor, cut a hole in the ice and jump in. Somewhere along the line wearing silly outfits came into play. 2 years ago I wore a pink tutu, last year it was the belly dancer and this year, well this year I will be wearing a wedding dress. I'm sure to be the ugliest bride ever.

What can you do to help? Well of course you can join me, raise some money and take the plunge. Now if that's not quite what you had in mind then please consider a donation.

There are a couple of options depending on how you wish your money to be used.

If you wish 100% of your donation to remain at the local level then please either send a donation to my paypal account [email protected] or send a check to 1229 Oak Valley dr Ann Arbor, MI 48108. Checks can be made out to Livingston County Special Olympics. If you need a receipt for tax purposes please let me know.

If you wish for the money to be spread between the local and state level then please see my website ActiveGiving.com Donations

The plunge is open to spectators so if you are in the area on February 16th feel free to come out and enjoy the fun.

Also for some reason every year there are a few disturbed people that wish to see pictures of whatever I wear as payment for their donation. If you are one of these people let me know and I will include you on the post plunge picture email. I must warn you though its not usually a pretty sight lol :) Although Bob takes great joy in sharing these pics so he will probably post them somewhere on the mater.:)

Thank you so much for your support I greatly appreciate it.

Hmmmm... Is there going to be a countdown before you jump in? :D

Count me in, I think I can scrape up an extra dollar or two.

Where are the pictures of you as a belly dancer? I am dying to see those!

I guess you found a wedding dress?

Where are the pictures of you as a belly dancer? I am dying to see those!

I guess you found a wedding dress?

Yes I did. I happen to mention it to some of the parents of the athletes that I coach and one of them had one that wasn't wanted anymore. I'm picking it up tonight.

I'm surprised Bob hasn't posted last years pics yet. I'll see what I have.

well I tried uploading the pics I have but it wont work and I don't know how to resize them

:confused:
Didn't they postpone the event last year because there wasn't enough ice?
:confused:

Or was that a figment of my active imagination.

PJ, thanks for great deal. I have a 26 year old daughter that been part of special olympics for about 20 of those years and its a great deal. I'll jump and support the polar plunge for sure. Glad youre doing this and not my chicken a s s.:D

PJ, I just click on the website and the men in white coats are on the way. I think that I'll probably suffer for years.

Thanks Mike, my brother is 31 and has been an SO athlete since he was 8.

Jenn you are almost kinda right. The date of the original jump last year was moved. The week of the plunge we have below zero windchill and the local fire marshall who oversee's the safety of the event wasn't too keen on that many people getting hypothermia so we backed it up a couple of weeks. The bad part is that while is was still in the upper 20's the ice wasn't thick enough to go out on so they had to break it up from shore and we had to run in.

Now I'm not sure if anyone has done a polar plunge but let me tell you that it is much, much easier to jump then it is to run. With the jump, once you leave the ground you are pretty much committed. There is no changing your mind. Luckily you hit the water all at once and its done. When you have to run in your body and brain start argueing with each other. As part of you says "HEY Idiot this stuff is cold get out" While the other part of you pushes on. Thats why I ended up doing the cart wheel last year. After watching enough people try to run in or they would jump when it was still to shallow. So I decided a cartwheel would be funnier for the crowd (like that fat guy in the belly dancer outfit wasn't funny enough) plus it would be easier than a straight run in.

Well I think my dad needs therapy now. I called him last night and said "Hey Pops guess what....I picked up my wedding dress today" He just dropped the phone, mom said he just walked off mumbling where did we go wrong:D

Jenn you are almost kinda right.

Well I think my dad needs therapy now. I called him last night and said "Hey Pops guess what....I picked up my wedding dress today" He just dropped the phone, mom said he just walked off mumbling where did we go wrong:D

See, I almost kinda pay attention!

I can just imagine Zappers reaction! LMAO!

OOOOOOOHHHHHH! What a hot, sexy belly!!! I can't wait to see the bride!!!

luckily there is a lot less of the belly this year. Of course now I need to keep slimming down to make sure I still fit in the dress........ya know that just doesn't sound right:D

Don't they put you in a hot tub right after you jump in to warm you back up?

the first year they did but only a few people used it, most went inside to change and dry off right away so we didn't get one last year. Unless one gets donated we wont have one this year either

the first year they did but only a few people used it, most went inside to change and dry off right away so we didn't get one last year. Unless one gets donated we wont have one this year either

Y'all gonna wish ya hadn't lost all that insulation bud!

Heya, just in case I can make it (TO WATCH AND TAKE PICS ONLY!) shoot me some driving directions to the strip, er, lake, or beach or wherever the insanity takes place. Maybe I can come down and take pics myself. But NO, I AIN'T gonna take the plunge! It's healthier for me to pay you to. And yes, the COUNTDOWN is ON!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back