Pigeons (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Does anyone know anything about pigeons?

Long story short, last night I found a pigeon between the curb and my car when I left work last night. I was able to pet him but he walked under my car. I pulled out VERY slowly, in fact it took several minutes to be clear from my parking spot. Only to find he was now under the car next to me (the only two cars left by the time I left). I advised the guard that it was under her car. He was sitting on the first step into the building this morning. The facilities manager came in and I told him about the bird, and he picked it up and got a milk crate to put it in and gave him food & water. He is banded.

I've called a couple of racing pigeon associatations and left messages. I called my vet to see if they had anyone I could call locally to come get this bird. The person I called said that since it is banded, it belongs to someone and she is unable to retrieve it. She also said that sometimes it is the practice of racing pigeon owners to kill a bird like this because it is not 'profitable'. Well, you know I'm not going to let that happen. The woman who couldn't take him said he could be taken to a place where there are other pigeons and hopefully, they would show him the ropes about finding food and water. Unfortunately the only places I see with pigeons are underpasses of busy roads.

I hate it when I'm involved in this kind of thing because I'll worry to death about a pigeon unless I know he is safe somewhere.

This is a busy parking lot. Anyone have any ideas?

No pigeon expert here, but I did also have one several years ago. I was on the scales of our local chemical plant and I saw a pigeon wondering around in a disoriented manner. The workers told me they called them "chemical pigeons", LOL.

I put it in a box and took it home. She thought I was nuts. We nursed it back to health and ended up being the coolest thing for several weeks (I was home daily then). "Ralph" would roost on our back porchlight all day and night. When I went out, he was instantly on my shoulder. He'd even be playful. I'd run my hand across a table like it was walking on it's fingers and he'd grab one and play tug o war, acting meaner'n ****.

Eventually he was gone for a couple days and we thought that was it. Then he was back for a few days. Then gone again and never saw it again. Figure it must have found it's way back.

Just loaded in Manhattan Friday morning and an apartment building across the street had a back lawn with trees in it. About every 30 minutes a loud sound would come over some speakers like three quick gunshots, and about 100 or so pigeons would take off. Then they'd trickle back in and so on, LOL.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back