Photography tips? (1 Viewer)

Bob

Nitro Member
Hey guys and gals! I know quite a few of you do some spectacular photography at the races, and I think this is a good place to get some tips/tricks.

I just became the proud owner of a Canon Digital Rebel XT, and I'm looking forward to getting some awesome pics at Atlanta in April. I'd like to get some good stills in the pits and so forth, along with some action shots. I've never been worth a darn getting action shots, probably due to my lack of experience and camera equipment (my old Sony Cybershot).

I'm wide open to any suggestions anyone has, so feel free to chime in! I thank all who wish to give a guy a hand in advance! :)

Bob

The best tip I can give you Is get your tickets In the very top row as far down track as you can,so you can stand up without blocking anyones view,or having someone standing up In front of you as you get ready to take a pic.,plus being downtrack there aren't any photographers standing on the wall cluttering your pics. As far as camera settings I use a Canon digital rebel,and a Canon 30d,and I usually use the av or tv modes depending on the conditions.

I still have the "old" Sony Cybershot. It takes pretty good stills of my 6 y/o (if he can sit still that long). Good enough for me at least. And I had some good stills at Joliet last year in the pits. Anyone have tips for the Cybershot when I make it to the March Meet?
I know my camera isn't the greatest compared to what some of you guys have. ;)

I still have the "old" Sony Cybershot. It takes pretty good stills of my 6 y/o (if he can sit still that long). Good enough for me at least. And I had some good stills at Joliet last year in the pits. Anyone have tips for the Cybershot when I make it to the March Meet?
I know my camera isn't the greatest compared to what some of you guys have. ;)

Funny you mention kids Eric. Part of the reason I chose to upgrade my camera was seeing these real digital cameras for kids at Wal-Mart. I was thinking, hell, why spend money to let my daughter get a digital camera when I can get something a little better and let her have my old one? Plus, it still makes a great camera to take to take quick pics and stuff with. It's always taken nice stills. My big thing is being able to take action shots. The Cybershot was never able to do that very well, and I'm hoping that since I have a camera that's compatible with several different lenses that I can finally get the action shots I've always wanted.

The best tip is to take many shots of good looking girls at the track and then post them here as soon as possible. :D
Thank you in advance.

Practice, Practice and Practice shooting pictures and get to know the camera.

PSC123(1).jpg_fl.jpg

along with some action shots. I've never been worth a darn getting action shots, probably due to my lack of experience and camera equipment (my old Sony Cybershot).

I'm wide open to any suggestions anyone has, so feel free to chime in! I thank all who wish to give a guy a hand in advance! :)

Bob

Pre-focus the camera on a spot on the track that you want to take the action shot and follow the cars to that spot with the camera..
I like to be in the middle to the top of the track when I shoot from the stands and I will pre-focus the camera on the farside of the track in front of me. I then pan the to starting line and follow the cars just about the spot and shoot the picture..

Once you get some experience with the camera, you may want to play with the aperture settings... the lower the # i.e. 2.8 as opposed to 8.0 if you use the 2.8 opening you will have a shallow depth of field.. so the CAR you are taking a photo of will be VERY clear, but the background will be fuzzy..

This works because when the average person looks at your photo his eye will automatically focus in on any part of the photo that is CLEAR in this case (the car) OR (eye candy) if thats your subject.. so he will be focused on WHAT you WANT him to see, & NOT the little tree in the background .. because the tree will be fuzzy and he wont want to look at it..

I hope this make sense..

Also if you use a SLOW shutter speed and "pan" with the car and shoot, the car will be clear, but the background will be blurred giving the appearance of SPEED or a moving car...

Let me know if this has helped or just made matters worse :)

Take an entire day and read everything at this forum....its pretty much the best photography forum on the internets. Link ... Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Also you have to have an understanding of constructive criticism....if someone tells you what is wrong with your photo they are trying to tell you how to improve it.

I pretty much learned everything I learned from practice and from the website. In three years I've gone from this....(which I thought was the best ever lol)

P6150121.JPG

To this....

IMG_5705.jpg

As you can see in the 2 photos taken in the above post.. in the first he has NO depth of field & everything is in focus so you look at the whole photo, the spray, the trees in back, the grass in the foreground.. etc.. however in photo 2 almost everything is blurred except the boat.. and THAT is what the photographer wants you to see, and focus on!!

Great job in the above photos..

There are at least 10 good photographers that share their pics of the cars (action and stills) on the internet. My opinion? I love to see the candid PEOPLE shots. Whether they be drivers, crew, owners, track workers, spectators.....you get the idea. That's what gives me the fibe of being there. ;)

Thanks for starting this topic..I too would love to learn how to improve my Picture taking ability's... I saved the link to that forum and will be studying it..

As you can see my skills are limited at best..lol

ASIwheelstander%20nats%20130.JPG

ASIwheelstander%20nats%20153.JPG

ASIwheelstander%20nats%20143.JPG

Just point and shoot- Point and shoot.
mikespeed.jpg

Taken a few minutes ago. .837 60 foot.

Wow...didn't expect all this help. Thanks again guys and gals. I promise to get some practice in before I go to Atlanta so I can try to bring back some quality pics. I'm thinking about renting a really good telephoto lens for that weekend rather than using the 18-55mm one that came with the camera. There's a place in Atlanta that'll rent the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM for $30.00 a day. If I'm understanding all the info I've packed into my head today, that should make for some uber killer day and nighttime action. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I agree, Bob. This is a lot of info. Thanks for the info and site everyone. I know Bob started this site with his new camera. I understand some of my shots won't be as killer as Joe and Buzz and others. I have also liked to get different shots like Kelly is mentioning. Maybe next weekend when my son is with his mom I will really dive into that site and play with my camera more.
Thanks again everyone for your input. (Bob, I appreciate you letting my sort of hi-jack the camera type of your thread. lol)

I'm no Professional photographer by any means, but I'm convinced the Expensive camera's and there are plenty of those out there are overated for the average daily photographer. Since 90% shoot Jpeg format, a 12+ MP camera isn't nessecary, a 6-8 will handle 90% of what you shoot everyday.

I'm no Professional photographer by any means, but I'm convinced the Expensive camera's and there are plenty of those out there are overated for the average daily photographer. Since 90% shoot Jpeg format, a 12+ MP camera isn't nessecary, a 6-8 will handle 90% of what you shoot everyday.

What?!!!!????:confused:Not a Pro?????????:confused:

Totally agree. My little Panasonic compact is 6mp and does just fine. This year I'll also be bringing a Panasonic camcorder to shoot video for a DVD.

Since 90% shoot Jpeg format, a 12+ MP camera isn't nessecary, a 6-8 will handle 90% of what you shoot everyday.

Them are fightin' words Joe! I will see you in Phoenix!

That lens is a great one. Rental may be a really good idea. Great lens that you can try before you buy. Or just try and not buy. You will find that when you have light, you will get shots that will boggle the mind. With that lens you can shoot as fast as the camera can shutter, and still get great color and depth. When it is so dark that you will have to use a flash, you will find the camera weak on getting a flash all the way to the car to really freeze the car in time. But don't throw away the pictures that don't look great at first. Some of those odd ones come out to be the best because they are unique. Adding some of the needed light in Photoshop can resurrect the worst shots from their darkened state and bring them to life.
Show us your shots and Joe will tell you what you did wrong! :D :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back