Only 10 full-time Top Fuel cars next year (1 Viewer)

Even with 1000 ft racing, I noticed toward the end that some teams were beginning to do a pretty good job of blowing them up again. They've just shortened the fuse by 320 feet is all.

Even with 1000 ft racing, I noticed toward the end that some teams were beginning to do a pretty good job of blowing them up again. They've just shortened the fuse by 320 feet is all.

Playing catchup with what will probably be the Al-Anabi 3.7 second tuneup, no matter who is driving! Scoop - is AJ's team part of the 10, or does that make 11 ? Could make the difference between five or six entertaining bye runs in round one - :rolleyes:

Hopefully there will be enough cars to have a full field at each race.
I will say that NHRA is sure trying to make it impossible for all the little guys with all their rule changes.
We were just told that next year all Valve Cover studs need to be 5/16 in replace of the 1/4 studs they have now.
So we have to send out all our valve covers, buy new studs and nuts, and also have our heads fixed properly. If you have the right equipment I'm sure it is just labor intensive, but what if you do not. I just am really not sure what was the reason for this change. I do not remember any valve covers being blown off any cars? I for sure agree with any rule changes that help make this sport safer, I also thought a big problem they were trying to solve was the rising cost of racing.
It just sucks to know of so many operations out there that have a lot of nice equipment that 3 years ago was legal and now is thousands and thousands of dollars from being legal now.
This last rule even hurt the manufacture, as they were not told in advance of this rule and now are stuck with a lot of inventory in nuts and studs that are no longer needed.
It just seems that everybody can work together a little better to make this thing work for everybody.
Just my 2 sense.
Bobby Lagana Jr.

Ladies and gentlemen hold your cards. Mr. Lagana has called a HUGE BINGO! Lets recall the plays...B-1, I-23...

Ooooohhhh wait a minute. I am sorry Mr. Lagana that is not a bingo. You are using and playing with common sense and you know that cannot be allowed. That is serious business that common sense stuff.

Bobby seriously you are spot damn on. Many have sold out or are trying to unload lots of dinosaurs and square wheels thanks to the 'Gods of Glendora'. We did, are done, and almost over it even. Went back to getting haircuts and getting real jobs like 'Lonesome George Thorogood' sang about.

You want car counts? Take away fuel (mandate a damned restrictor). Read Wayno's post or others on slowing em down. Slow cars to 4.80's @ 300 and go back to 1320. Stop these stupid rule changes for no apparent reason. Reduce the costs for everyone and lets go back to having I think they used to call it fun or something like that.

It is a sport somewhat yes, but is also entertainment.

Oh and tying Alan Johnsons hands behind his back or only letting him come to every other race would help some too. (Joke, not really an option...wait a minute, paging Glendora...please pick up line one we have a change to the countdown for top fuel).:eek:

Maybe they can try the Funny Car vs. Top Fueler thing like they did one year at the Winston Shootout. That worked out really well:rolleyes: 1,2,3,Redlight.:D

Remember when a certain funny car racer was asked his opinion of the Winston shootout and said it sucked in so many words. And then he lost his Winston backing immediately afterward? Apparently it wasn't NHRAs idea. it was the idea of some dork big wig executive at Winston.

Last edited:
Will SOMEONE please go over to Financial Way and give Tom and his boys a weather report. The sport, at the pro level is dying and there is no better time to retool the pro category rules and make it somewhat attractive to run a fuel car. If NHRA can't develop their financial base enough to make running their events profitable for ALL qualifiers, then they MUST reduce the cost of running a car. Here is a cost reducing idea...how about one 53' trailer per team on site.

The cars need to be backed up enough so that 4 crewmen can comfortably turn one around in 75 minutes.

Jeez....look at Pro Stock. Nothing stock there and now only two teams have a prayer. Unless you have an in house engine and chassis shop, you are only playing, not racing. It is time to return to 350 CI and a body in white.

PRO also needs a weather report. The business model of taking on all the responsibility for selling product and entertaining clients is killing professional racing. While at the Finals, I was shocked to see that more of an emphasis was placed on entertaining than racing.

Mark

Mark,
Your post makes a lot of sense, but I think that NHRA as a marketing enity has lost it's way. Down size on the Fuel cars may be the wake up call they need. I would like to be a fly on the wall when these guys come up with some of this stuff. Hopefully they will figure it out before they run the whole thing into the ground.

Rick Esparza

Why is it supposed to be "attractive" to run a fuel car??? :confused:

Either you have the bucks, balls and talent to run one, or you watch em from the stands. This sport is a privilage- always has been. It isn't supposed to be for everyone..

Will SOMEONE please go over to Financial Way and give Tom and his boys a weather report. The sport, at the pro level is dying and there is no better time to retool the pro category rules and make it somewhat attractive to run a fuel car. If NHRA can't develop their financial base enough to make running their events profitable for ALL qualifiers, then they MUST reduce the cost of running a car. Here is a cost reducing idea...how about one 53' trailer per team on site.

The cars need to be backed up enough so that 4 crewmen can comfortably turn one around in 75 minutes.

Jeez....look at Pro Stock. Nothing stock there and now only two teams have a prayer. Unless you have an in house engine and chassis shop, you are only playing, not racing. It is time to return to 350 CI and a body in white.

PRO also needs a weather report. The business model of taking on all the responsibility for selling product and entertaining clients is killing professional racing. While at the Finals, I was shocked to see that more of an emphasis was placed on entertaining than racing.

Mark

Mark I think the 1000' racing has reduced costs more than anything has in years! As far as Making Fuel racing affordable? That Genie's been out of the Bottle for Years, Look at how expensive Nostalgia racing has gotten? Ask those 5 sec. N/FC guys how much costs have risen in the last 3-4 years and it will suprise you. You want a Budget Fuel catagory? Make them run an index, say 5.00-5.30 for the 1/4 mile, an index is the only way you'll save on Parts attrition

Why is it supposed to be "attractive" to run a fuel car??? :confused:

Either you have the bucks, balls and talent to run one, or you watch em from the stands. This sport is a privilage- always has been. It isn't supposed to be for everyone..

Now that's not attractive Martin. I am not speaking for Mark but the gist is that the dream of racing Top Fuel or even Top Alcohol is getting further from the grasp of many want to be racers. Yes it is a privilage and I admire all the teams, but new blood has no chance, and I think that is what Mark was saying. Also as part of "attractive" from a potential sponsers point of view, NHRA has done a real good job of running off sponsers even before our current economic crisis. Just my 2 cents.

Rick Esparza

Now that's not attractive Martin. I am not speaking for Mark but the gist is that the dream of racing Top Fuel or even Top Alcohol is getting further from the grasp of many want to be racers. Yes it is a privilage and I admire all the teams, but new blood has no chance, and I think that is what Mark was saying. Also as part of "attractive" from a potential sponsers point of view, NHRA has done a real good job of running off sponsers even before our current economic crisis. Just my 2 cents.

Rick Esparza

And I want a pony...:rolleyes:

I've been involved since my Day 1 Rick- when my family went to the track in the 60's, it was a hands-on day with a car. Same through the 70's and into the 80's, when the door closed on our chances to keep throwing money into this hole that is Drag Racing. We've had everything from Gassers to Floppers to Stockers, and its never been cheap. Things weren't always in our household because of the car.. Family choice- no regrets.

Seen lots of friends since then go to the point of no return with their love- again, by choice. Some made it. Most didn't. I didn't (but I'm trying to again with my next generation). I've got lots of friends that were Professional Nitro TF and FC racers that couldn't stand the day that they had to walk away, but the "privilage" didn't allow them to stay in the mix, and they understood that it was never supposed to be cheap or affordable, and that dreams aren't the things that keep tires on the truck or fuel in the tank.

I agree, there is something rotten in Denmark (or Glendora, as this case may be), but its because the organization has drifted so far from the original concept and gotten themselves in too deep over their heads, IMO. The need to be a business that takes care of advertisers is NOT what NHRA was formulated upon- it was all about safety and organizing events- but that's what it has become. If it ever went back to its origins, and it farmed off the marketing side to Madison Ave. and the promotions side to someone like AEG (IHRA going over to Feld Entertainment was almost brilliant..), got rid of the corporate heads and went back to making sure the racers had a say in the decisions, maybe more dreams could come true... You can't tell me guys like Snake, Force and The Don WANT to have to spend millions a year to hopefully make a million. I don't think that was part of their original dream.

not as much as you might think......we used the same set of heads, same block, and went through two pistons this year

Mike are you guys running 5's? I won't mention the team but I talked to one guy who works on a car that has gone 5's and he said it's way more than the days of 6.20-.30's.

Hopefully there will be enough cars to have a full field at each race.
I will say that NHRA is sure trying to make it impossible for all the little guys with all their rule changes.
We were just told that next year all Valve Cover studs need to be 5/16 in replace of the 1/4 studs they have now.
So we have to send out all our valve covers, buy new studs and nuts, and also have our heads fixed properly. If you have the right equipment I'm sure it is just labor intensive, but what if you do not. I just am really not sure what was the reason for this change. I do not remember any valve covers being blown off any cars? I for sure agree with any rule changes that help make this sport safer, I also thought a big problem they were trying to solve was the rising cost of racing.
It just sucks to know of so many operations out there that have a lot of nice equipment that 3 years ago was legal and now is thousands and thousands of dollars from being legal now.
This last rule even hurt the manufacture, as they were not told in advance of this rule and now are stuck with a lot of inventory in nuts and studs that are no longer needed.
It just seems that everybody can work together a little better to make this thing work for everybody.
Just my 2 sense.
Bobby Lagana Jr.

That's interesting. (about the rule change of the studs)

By my count with Millican joining the show full time and Fuller leaving that leaves us with 8 full time cars now. Sure hope something sponsorship wise pans out in the next 30 days for some of these other teams. Otherwise it's going to be a bunch of free passes for the top couple cars at every event.

Sure some independants might be able to qualify now and make some $$$ but do you actually think they are going to win a round?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back