Only 10 full-time Top Fuel cars next year (1 Viewer)

Rob

Nitro Member
If you're like me, you've spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out how the NHRA is going to fill out 16-car fields in Top Fuel next year. Trust me, they're plenty worried about it at NHRA headquarters in Glendora and for good reason. I keep coming up with just 10 racers that have a reasonable chance at going to all 24 events in 2009.

Geiger Counter

every year they always say how bad the fuel fields are going to be and every year somehow they manage to bring 15-16 cars....Ill believe it when I see it.

every year they always say how bad the fuel fields are going to be and every year somehow they manage to bring 15-16 cars....Ill believe it when I see it.
Yes but every year doesn't look like 1933. When Tiger Woods loses an endorsement (Buick) you know its going to be a rough year on the drag racing front.

S/F
D

I think the fields will be short for both TF and Funny Car as the part time or regional racers who rounded out the fields in years gone past, will not be racing as they do not have a legal chassis and some of these cars are brand new or near new...

Paul Weiss

I think NHRA might want to re-think this chasing off of Energy Sponsors! As far as short fields, when it's 14-15 cars is one thing. But if it ever got down to 12-13 cars at a Natl. event that would be Bad PR for NHRA!

But I also remember in the 1999 when Eddie Hill (Penzoil), Mike Dunn (Mopar) and Bob Vandergriff (Jerzees) all lost sponsors and the Fields were pretty thin for about half the season.

With the price of diesel fuel down to just ridiculous instead of crazy some part time teams might travel a bit more.

Anybody know what the price of a barrel of go juice will be for the nitro cars?

..........for nitro FC & TF, doing a quick count i get
14 owners fielding 26 cars for next year. (plus or minus 1 or 2).
10 TF and 16 FC (if g. densham tours again).
26 cars for 32 spots - not all together a disaster.

if TF fields do not fill early in '09, will existing teams add cars
to race for $$? it is financially feasable anymore?

should nhra increase qualifying money in lower spots to entice
more competitors?

how have the independent teams been treated at the races the
last few years? if they are called upon to travel to fill fields?

MIke, a lot of independents will only show up to run if they think they'll have a shot at the Qualifying $$$! And if only 14 cars show up at Pomona/Phx, I'm willing to bet you'll see a few of these guys like Don Sosenka, Joe Hartley, Bruce Litton and Maybe TJ Zizzo run more races.

Hopefully there will be enough cars to have a full field at each race.
I will say that NHRA is sure trying to make it impossible for all the little guys with all their rule changes.
We were just told that next year all Valve Cover studs need to be 5/16 in replace of the 1/4 studs they have now.
So we have to send out all our valve covers, buy new studs and nuts, and also have our heads fixed properly. If you have the right equipment I'm sure it is just labor intensive, but what if you do not. I just am really not sure what was the reason for this change. I do not remember any valve covers being blown off any cars? I for sure agree with any rule changes that help make this sport safer, I also thought a big problem they were trying to solve was the rising cost of racing.
It just sucks to know of so many operations out there that have a lot of nice equipment that 3 years ago was legal and now is thousands and thousands of dollars from being legal now.
This last rule even hurt the manufacture, as they were not told in advance of this rule and now are stuck with a lot of inventory in nuts and studs that are no longer needed.
It just seems that everybody can work together a little better to make this thing work for everybody.
Just my 2 sense.
Bobby Lagana Jr.

Hopefully there will be enough cars to have a full field at each race.
I will say that NHRA is sure trying to make it impossible for all the little guys with all their rule changes.
We were just told that next year all Valve Cover studs need to be 5/16 in replace of the 1/4 studs they have now.
So we have to send out all our valve covers, buy new studs and nuts, and also have our heads fixed properly. If you have the right equipment I'm sure it is just labor intensive, but what if you do not. I just am really not sure what was the reason for this change. I do not remember any valve covers being blown off any cars? I for sure agree with any rule changes that help make this sport safer, I also thought a big problem they were trying to solve was the rising cost of racing.
It just sucks to know of so many operations out there that have a lot of nice equipment that 3 years ago was legal and now is thousands and thousands of dollars from being legal now.
This last rule even hurt the manufacture, as they were not told in advance of this rule and now are stuck with a lot of inventory in nuts and studs that are no longer needed.
It just seems that everybody can work together a little better to make this thing work for everybody.
Just my 2 sense.
Bobby Lagana Jr.

Well Bobby, at least NHRA listened to PRO and stayed with 1000' ft as opposed to Mega Expen$ive rule changes slowing the cars down for the 1/4.

I still don't quite get why it has to be a super expensive deal to back the cars down. Can't they at least re-visit what Armstrong tried a few years ago and see if that will do the job? From what I remember, and Dale has talked about it again this year, it seemed like it really didn't obsolete anything, except maybe pistons, which the big teams use up in a hurry anyway. I don't tune a fuel car, so I'm no expert, but is it a forgone conclusion that building a slower, safer race car that is easier on parts has to cost a ton?

Maybe they can try the Funny Car vs. Top Fueler thing like they did one year at the Winston Shootout. That worked out really well:rolleyes: 1,2,3,Redlight.:D

Never fear. With short fields we will have lots of bi runs at 1000ft.
And end the year with the exciting countdown.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back