OK Lets see about NHRA's new Rule (1 Viewer)

Should NHRA Change the Scoring System?

• NHRA Should Leave the Points Alone

Votes: 118 84.3%
  • NHRA SHould Go to the NASCAR Shoot Out System

Votes: 22 15.7%

• Total voters
I'm willing to give the "chase" a try. Everyone complains that that the megas teams will own the championship. Hasn't a two car or more team won the championship for the last 10-12 years in Funny Car. They already do. The current way Tommy Johnson has very little chance to win a championship. A single car team could get hot over a 6 or 7 race span and steal the championship. I hate the cutdown to 4. That makes Vegas2 the single most important race of the season. As one of the 4 remaining teams anything less than a semi final showing would destroy your championship hopes.

Chris,

That's my biggest complaint with the system....someone could very well (in your own words) "steal the championship." It just doesn't seem to put the emphasis on riding the peaks and valleys of a season. Part of winning a championship is being able to hold on through the bad times and work out of them. Now, just make it to 8th, get hot, and be proclaimed "champion."
I don't like it at all, but I was probably out mowing the lawn when the NHRA called to ask my opinion of the deal. :)

And just why would TJ or Head, or Big Jim Dunn or KB have less a chance now than John Force or Ron Capps, or Del or Phil Burkhart? Robert H wants it bad, and him and Prock will walk all over the boss to get it this year. If running three cars in top fuel means no one else can win the championship, then Doug K should have won it the last couple of years...

Multi car teams in P/S.... WJ or KJ... Shoe's Dodges...

Bikes? lets get real...

It's not a Team Championship.... Only one Driver can win the championship. And we don't need a fake points race to prove it. The BEST and most CONSISTANT Car All Year Long Should Be The Champion.

I'm really not all that thrilled with the format that NHRA has chosen to go with for the first season but I also don't see this whole thing as carved in concrete so maybe if there are lumps some changes can be made the season after. It's not like it's a big deal anyway. The whole thing is about bragging rights for the teams and their sponsors. It's not like they're racing for real money that pays the bills at the end of the season. Makes for pretty good bonus for the crew members though.

I guess I'm to old because if I ruled the world and I just HAD to have a points battle I'd do it the old fashioned way. I'd let all the boys and girls race 22 events and then invite the eight highest points earners to Pomona and decide the championship at that event. Sound vaguely familiar all you oldtimers? Remember Ontario? For the Sportsmen, take the top eight from each Division and let them come to Pomona and race for the class championship. Points to go to that event would come ONLY from LODRS races and they would be free to run as many National Events as they qualify for, based on Division attendance, just like today. Got holes? You bet, but my poop isn't written in that rock either!

Darryl,
Even the 'pro' classes had to earn points in their division to go to the World Finals. Points were driver's, not teams, and we were pissed in '69 when Chops couldn't go to the finals after having the dominate car all year, then loosing John at Indy.

I have to agree, TF and PS got to be really boring at this time last season...........

Would it make ALL the Pro classes more "Exciting" if NHRA managed to make the top 8 cars all EXACTLY = in points going into Pomona.. then the Champ could be anyone of those 8! Would make for fan excitement.. but I'd hate to be a Driver or Owner who won 15-16 races then find the 7 people behind me are now = going into the last race of the year...

Would it make ALL the Pro classes more "Exciting" if NHRA managed to make the top 8 cars all EXACTLY = in points going into Pomona.. then the Champ could be anyone of those 8! Would make for fan excitement.. but I'd hate to be a Driver or Owner who won 15-16 races then find the 7 people behind me are now = going into the last race of the year...

Hey boss, I don't know if I would even watch it. This is so unfair to the guys that would have really earned that championship.

I think the NHRA needs to get a grip. Member tracks don't have to follow the rules, timing problems and now this.

Bob
Member - Panuzzo Racing

Just to clarify again, there is not countdown to 2. It's Countdown to 8 (first 17 races); Countdown to 4 (races 18-21); countdown to 1 (races 22-23).

Okay, let's just cut the BS... race 1 thru 23 is the countdown to 1
It means something to be the best over the course of 23 race and just not the Survivor of the last 2.

And Steve, that's not a shot at you... but it is a shot at 'Clueless in Glendora' who think Drag Racing needs this *rap to be Exciting

Last edited:
I'm not real keen on this Countdown, either. I wish the NHRA would work on fixing problem areas rather than fixing what isn't broken. Adding Norwalk to the fold, for instance, is a positive move especially since they can't move Renegade Road!
I am, however, very keen on being able to post again. Thanks Jerrod.
Cheers,
Ed Arcuri
f/k/a Javelin. With the Challenger and Camaro coming back to join the Mustang, I miss my AMX the more.

I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts regarding the new points system - primarily due to a lack of available time - but 88% against, including my vote, seems to send a pretty clear message...

Has the NHRA made any additional statements on the subject? This seems like th most unpopular thing they've ever done.

personally i still dont like it, the best car all season might not win the championship. a car can be dominating all year, then when the final 6 races get here, those 1st 2 races are key, and that car that dominated throws a blower belt off in the 1st round of the 1st race, then the 2nd race of the chase that car has a leak, smokes the tires, gets the bad lane , red lights, whatever and loses again 1st round, and he or she is out of it. then in the last 4 races that same car dominates again. it is the best car but for 2 small things that car will not win the championship. it stinks!

WJ said it best
the thing is that you could be than Number 8 driver
and not attend any of the year’s remaining races and you’re still
going to be eighth in the points. The car in ninth place can’t move
up no matter what he does. The only thing he can down is precipitate
down. And when it gets down to four cars the guy in fifth can only
hold on to that, or move down, but he can’t move down further than
eighth because those top eight cars are going to be locked in. It’s
totally ludicrous thinking. It’s typical NHRA small-time thinking,
and I’m giving them a lot of credit in letting them think I think
they can think, which they obviously can’t.

I say save money and dont race the rest of the races. So by the last two races they only have 4 cars signed up.

Do you think that is exciting Mr. Compton?

I WILL NOT PAY $65 bucks to watch 4 cars that I really could care less about.

THIS IS BAD PEOPLE! :mad:

personally i still dont like it, the best car all season might not win the championship.
Just like in the NFL last season, where the best team in the league during the regular season - the Indianpolis Colts - lost their playoff opener and didn't win the championship. Originally, I was like most here, and didn't like it, but as I thought about it more, it's beginning to grow on me. If it's good enough for the NFL, it's good enough for drag racing.
The biggest argument against it has been that the top team will lose its advantage as far as points are concerned, but if a parcticular team were able to dominate the first half of the season, by saying winning 5 or 6 of the first 10 or so races and build a sizeable points advantage, kind of like what Larry Dixon did in 2003 or Shoe did in 2004, they could go in test mode and use the final two or three races of the regular season to find a performance advantage for the playoffs. Just a thought.

Are the polls anonymous or is there a way to see who votes and which way? I thought the old mater had a way to view the poll and can't seem to find it.

Are the polls anonymous or is there a way to see who votes and which way? I thought the old mater had a way to view the poll and can't seem to find it.

Anonymous, unless everyone decides to tell us how they voted. It was the same way on the old 'Mater.

Okay, starting at race 21, saturday a-1v8, b-2v7, c-3v6,d-4v5 and have a 16 car show on sunday

race 22 saturday winner a vs winner d and winner b vs winner c
and 16 sunday

finals winner ad vs winner bc after final eleminations on sunday... on live TV

that fills everyones needs

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back