Oil retention systems (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Now that there are stiffer penalties in place, do you think the teams will come up with better oil retention systems?

I know they have diapers, but what I was thinking along the lines of was a titanium retainer in addition to a diaper. It would at least help catch thrown rods.

Speaking of which, I know funny cars are required to use dry sump systems. I am guessing for safety reasons due to the location of the engine relative to the driver. But it also means less oil in the pan if there is breakage. Why haven't dragsters gone this way, too? Maybe the issue is where to locate the reservoir?

Why haven't dragsters gone this way, too? Maybe the issue is where to locate the reservoir

That is the entire issue. You put it in front of the driver, now you have oil lines running through the cockpit. The driver is already sitting on a main line the size of a fire hose. You put it behind the motor and it's in the line of fire.

That is the entire issue. You put it in front of the driver, now you have oil lines running through the cockpit. The driver is already sitting on a main line the size of a fire hose. You put it behind the motor and it's in the line of fire.

Are there too many fuel system/timers/etc... in between the driver and the engine? If that's the case, then they couldn't fit a tank in there. But maybe they could shift things around and make room?

Are there too many fuel system/timers/etc... in between the driver and the engine? If that's the case, then they couldn't fit a tank in there. But maybe they could shift things around and make room?

Too much going on right behind the driver. Not mention that an errant blower belt could easily rupture an oil line.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back