The DRE Diaper Works! Good News, Bad News! (1 Viewer)

JL

Nitro Member
:mad: Bad news first. Today, Bryan Downing was running his first Top Sportsman race at Fireturd. About 200' into his pass, the rods decided to let go. One rod came through the pan. There was lots of smoke, of course, and everyone presumed a bunch of oil. That for sure was the bad news...

:) The good news is that his DRE engine diaper held not only the rod, but all of the hamburger, parts and the oil. Nothing on the track, and most importantly, nothing on his slicks. There was at least four quarts of oil in that diaper. This was just the standard big block diaper, not the SFI one and that rod stayed in.

My hat's off to Dennis Ridgeway and everyone at The DRE Engine Diaper. Also to NHRA for putting this rule in place. I am happy I already ordered my DRE Diaper. I am even more happy that my friend and his racecar are safe. Engines can be replaced, not people. Thanks DRE.

I heard the same thing last week about Tom Bayer's Super Gas Vette ... Blew up the motor -- nothing on the track.

M

Sounds good, I'm still looking for Engine Diapers, so I'll look into that company. We built a belly pan for one of ours but haven't gone through a tech yet to see if it'll be accepted. I have to buy 4 of 'em and you have to recertify every year or 5 years depending on which SFI you get.

I agree on the diaper being a great idea despite everyone complaining about them. Justin, was that the same Downing family that races mopars in S/G and S/C sponsored by Bill Luke Dodge?

Wish one of my transmission customer's had a diaper last year when he blew the infamous "Milodon green gasket" out of his oil filter adapter. 1963 Plymouth, second points race at Bandimere, the gasket blew out in the lights. Car hit both walls, and then rolled--complete loss.

The only real problem for us mopar guys (stock frame door car) is using the stock steering box and having the drag link go through the oil pan. No way to put a diaper on unless you convert to tube k frame & rack and pinion.

Sounds good, I'm still looking for Engine Diapers, so I'll look into that company. We built a belly pan for one of ours but haven't gone through a tech yet to see if it'll be accepted. I have to buy 4 of 'em and you have to recertify every year or 5 years depending on which SFI you get.

Dennis is a racer-a good guy!

The only real problem for us mopar guys (stock frame door car) is using the stock steering box and having the drag link go through the oil pan. No way to put a diaper on unless you convert to tube k frame & rack and pinion.

Dennis Taylor at Taylor Motorsports Products has at least two diapers out there in cars with situations like yours. The latest was for a guy named Lee Littlefield.

Call Taylor's at 714-630-7850 and he can help you.

RG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back