Norwalk Official Announcement. (1 Viewer)

Yep I got notice last week that the campgrounds are closed for this year.

Track Side camping is the only open sites. I have Track Side at the top end and I received the call yesterday. My site is open but the move in time is pushed back. Similar to what they did for the Cavalcade event.

It's a weird situation. I hate that there won't be sportsmen cars. I feel bad for everyone effected. I have no idea what to expect this weekend.

Last edited:
Got a phone call Sunday from Summit Raceway Park that the campground is flooded, so if you're camping you will have to find other accommodations. If there is anybody in the area that can accommodate a 27 foot motorhome and three old guys I would like to here from you!
[email protected]

The sportsman classes were canceled at Maple Grove a few years back because of the same thing. It's amazing how quiet the track and pits are after the TAFC/TAD's run. You get use to hearing cars run from morning till night, along with hearing the track announcers all day long. It's a weird... kind of unnatural silence that is never heard at a normal national event.

Are y'all coming to No Problem this weekend since you love that smooth track.
;)
Yup Armand, crank 7 degrees of additional wing angle in and pull 10 degrees of timing during the "flight" portion of the pass to keep from boiling the tires too bad, put on the big parachutes.... it definitely keeps Jenifer's complete attention. I think they did a fair amount of fixing since one of her runs a few years back closed the divisional for 4 hours .... but this track is still an attention grabber since the two bumps (underground pipelines) after the big bump at the transition are at a roughly 30 degree diagonal. Makes for some very interesting looking Racepak graphs, particularly the infrared tire temp channel ..... but I've got a pretty good timing map built over the years for the bumps .... still a 90% chance we'll ruin at least one set of tires at this race.

This track makes the tunnels at Bristol look like a slab of granite.

so in light of the soggy mess in norwalk that is eliminating all the sportsman categories and the financial hit that the nhra and the track will take because of it........
WHY NOT increase fields at upcoming races that have 4 day events and/or ample sportsman pits.......one that comes to mind is topeka (too late). the other is brainerd.
i can NOT understand why a four day event such as brainerd has cut their stock and super stock fields to 60 cars when they used to run 128 car field; at least in stock they did.
they have the space, and roads that have been recently paved. just think about the additional cash flow that would be generated.......60+ cars (in stock alone!) that don't show up anymore.
you do the math. i'm sure there's a reason. i'd like to know what it is........hopefully norwalk can reschedule a stock/super stock show or similar in near future

so in light of the soggy mess in norwalk that is eliminating all the sportsman categories and the financial hit that the nhra and the track will take because of it........
WHY NOT increase fields at upcoming races that have 4 day events and/or ample sportsman pits.......one that comes to mind is topeka (too late). the other is brainerd.
i can NOT understand why a four day event such as brainerd has cut their stock and super stock fields to 60 cars when they used to run 128 car field; at least in stock they did.
they have the space, and roads that have been recently paved. just think about the additional cash flow that would be generated.......60+ cars (in stock alone!) that don't show up anymore.
you do the math. i'm sure there's a reason. i'd like to know what it is........hopefully norwalk can reschedule a stock/super stock show or similar in near future
I'm friends with Bill Bader on FB and chat with him last night and there will be a National event for classes later this year and you can count on Nitro Night or sort along with it.

Even if they have space in the pits, there is still only one race track to go down. Adding X amount of cars means that much more time for runs, added probability of some cars needing some type of cleanup. They have to fit everything into certain time windows. While I would love to see more cars at races the logistics of it make it difficult

4 day events used to have many more sportsman car counts. that is a fact. the addition of thursday to a race weekend allows for qualifying, eliminating,
and even class, in two days. most of field is done and gone by saturday morning........the bad part is if there is weather, and i can remember events where the s & ss racers
were left hanging; one run to set field, or elimination of class. if there was weather, they definitely took a hit.

4 day events used to have many more sportsman car counts. that is a fact. the addition of thursday to a race weekend allows for qualifying, eliminating,
and even class, in two days. most of field is done and gone by saturday morning........the bad part is if there is weather, and i can remember events where the s & ss racers
were left hanging; one run to set field, or elimination of class. if there was weather, they definitely took a hit.

And unfortunately that's the problem if you are a fan of other classes and race in the sportsman classes. I'd have to take extra days off of work to be there early, make my time runs, and if i lose first round i'm free to go home before one professional class car even turned a tire. I thought the NHRA was trying to do a better job to eliminate as much of the hassle to the sportsman racer as far as not having to take as many days off work and being done early enough Sundays to get a good start at traveling back home.

I remember not long ago, all sportsman eliminations were run on Sunday(sometimes 1st round were run on Saturday nights. That was before there were quotas. When we were running stock, the only reason we liked national events was we did get to run on Sunday in front of full grandstands. Of course that was before everyone had a toter home and double stack trailer which people says eat up pit space.

what i'm hearing lately is that regional tracks hosting s/ss shows with great payouts are becoming more appealing than nhra nat. events

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back