Sportsman Cancelled at Reading (1 Viewer)

Wtf is that?

I honestly think this was the right call. It sucks for the racers, but they have been getting hammered by rain in that region, and the parking lot has got to be an absolute disaster. I don't think you can pin the blame on anyone.

a quote from the article....
Those four categories will be contested next week, Oct. 7-8, at the facility with parking starting on Thursday, time runs on Friday and eliminations on Saturday.

jeez, an event ending on saturday - what a novel idea :rolleyes:

I understand why they did it and really think it was a tough decision. But I would have rathered they move sportsman to Monday & Tuesday.
Less Fuel going up and back and less time away.

We really got hammered with rain today and more coming tomorrow.
The parking lots will be fun to navigate :rolleyes: and we all know about the curfews.

I understand why they did it and really think it was a tough decision. But I would have rathered they move sportsman to Monday & Tuesday.

The parking area is mud. It may not be any better on Monday and Tuesday.

Jim

A forecasted high of 53 degrees for sunday? Either this is going to be the quickest and fastest race of all time or an utter disaster with a cold track and no grip.

I honestly think this was the right call. It sucks for the racers, but they have been getting hammered by rain in that region, and the parking lot has got to be an absolute disaster. I don't think you can pin the blame on anyone.

Gainesville '02 comes to mind! Marty Thacker was parked in about 6" of mud! They had all these 4 x 6 sheets of plywood the crew walked on in their pit!

Gainesville '02 comes to mind! Marty Thacker was parked in about 6" of mud! They had all these 4 x 6 sheets of plywood the crew walked on in their pit!

and that event the Super Stock-Super Gas guys ran at Orlando Speedworld. Might as well have you guys compete somewhere else that weekend for the wallys.

John ... C'mon, how would that be a good idea. These folks have been sitting in a parking lot living in a motor home since Tuesday already. Make 300 racers (and some family) sit a full week away from home and work? Makes no sense at all.

If they were at that track and raced some but got postponed to finish Monday / Tuesday that's a different story as it affects a lot less people.

I know it rains everywhere but it seems like Maple Grove always has some sort of problem,weepers,rain,cold temps. Maybe NHRA needs to reschedule this event in non hurricane season??

I know it rains everywhere but it seems like Maple Grove always has some sort of problem,weepers,rain,cold temps. Maybe NHRA needs to reschedule this event in non hurricane season??

Was going to post the same thing. We have a couple friends from here (3000 miles away) who are there, and I can tell you are not particularly happy about this turn of events :)

The 'Grove is horrific when everything gets fully saturated. The classes that are running will fit on the paved areas, but everything else is mud.
NHRA made the right call on this, but they should have done Monday/Tuesday race. Whats the difference? In fact I think its better because almost everyone there would miss Thursday/Friday at jobs or businesses if they decide to stay.

Either way it sucks for everyone there!

The 'Grove is horrific when everything gets fully saturated. The classes that are running will fit on the paved areas, but everything else is mud.
NHRA made the right call on this, but they should have done Monday/Tuesday race. Whats the difference? In fact I think its better because almost everyone there would miss Thursday/Friday at jobs or businesses if they decide to stay.

Either way it sucks for everyone there!

The problem is that a national event takes a day or two to close down. The pro pits wouldn't be fully cleared until at least the end of Monday. Then you need a day to get all 300+ the sportsmen in and pitted. So you're looking at not starting before Wednesday.

...and it's raining, again. :mad: I'm about 40 mins from the track so I dont know if it's raining right there but the chances are pretty good it is. Thunder rolling like crazy too.

Am I missing something here? If the unpaved pits are too wet to be used how about the spectator parking? Several years when I attended this race you about needed a CAT to get around. People were continually stuck and getting pulled out and this was when the sportsman were allowed in the pits.

What will be required this weekend to navigate in spectator parking, a hovercraft

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back