Norwalk - Did Jimmy Prock actually say F*** HIM (1 Viewer)

It caught the tail end of Roberts bottom stage light flickering on and off before he is even rolled in to pre-stage. I think the replay shows it come on 2 times. At that same time, Rick Stewert saw what was going on, and runs up toward the tree to check it out, but as he does Robert pre-stages and the stage light no longer comes on and off, so Rick went back to his usual spot.

I think that is what let Rick believe the body was too low, when in fact the body was OK. For some reason the stage light did come on a couple times before it was supposed to.

Could that have been the result of Jimmy's foot finding the starting line prior to pulling him in? I don't have it DVR'd anymore, but I remember JP making that point to several different people during his tirade on the starting line.

Sean D

Could that have been the result of Jimmy's foot finding the starting line prior to pulling him in? I don't have it DVR'd anymore, but I remember JP making that point to several different people during his tirade on the starting line.

Sean D

Nah he had already walked away. Just about every crew chief puts his foot in the beams, and then pulls it back enough so the lights go out, and they line up the front wheel at that mark. I think his point was that every run he stops the wheel before it passes his foot, which means of course the body is past his foot, but above the beams. If the body was too low as Rick said it was, the lights would come on as soon as the body went past where his foot was. To me, it looked like when they slid that gauge around the nose, there was plenty of room to spare.

It's all over with now, so I guess it does not really matter much. Just take the positive news out of the weekend, he was low ET of the first 2 rounds, and had better numbers then John 'till he shut it off, which would have been low ET of the 3rd round. The new clutch package is starting to get sorted out pretty dang good.

Last edited:
I read the lips, more than heard it.
After several replay of the 'start line', I didn't get it though. I thought the tree came down, all the lights, and didn't understand the argument.
Honestly have been waiting for a thread here that it was a dive.
Have no idea either way, except I thought the tree came down as it is supposed to.
anyone else have an idea why Jimmy was so upset? Other than a very embarasssing rt for his driver?

......to take your mind away from the dive :eek:

If anybody has it on DVR still, right after they show Jimmys interview, and they show Rick Stewert talking to one of Allen Johnsons crew guys,
there is a last replay. Watch 2 things right away. It caught the tail end of Roberts bottom stage light flickering on and off before he is even rolled in to pre-stage. I think the replay shows it come on 2 times. At that same time, Rick Stewert saw what was going on, and runs up toward the tree to check it out, but as he does Robert pre-stages and the stage light no longer comes on and off, so Rick went back to his usual spot.

I think that is what let Rick believe the body was too low, when in fact the body was OK. For some reason the stage light did come on a couple times before it was supposed to.

You hit it dead nuts Paul. Rick would have only reacted to that because the body could have interfered with the guard beam. If that happened the pre-stage bulb wouldn't have come on, if I remember correctly.
Driver error, simple, clean....even Robert said it down the other end.

Also, BRAVO for Prock speaking his mind...it goes something like this:

Stewart points people to Olsen, who immediately redirects everyone to Light up in the corporate suite, then fines end up being levied because of everyone's temper's being through the roof.....ESPN interviews Light who preaches the gospel of the "NHRA Rulebook" and internet message boards light up for weeks until the next BS call.

Last edited:
Does anybody have that run on youtube or anything else? I think I saw the light in Robert flash awful quick. In slow motion it looked OK, but....A little bird told me it was a VERY QUICK light in his lane..and not the full .380 or .400 length of time(what ever it is on the Fuel Pro Tree) it should have been....i'd like to see the full speed video to confirm this...

Once again...not making an accusation on NHRA or the timing system...just like to see the evidence if it's out there to confirm what 'the little bird' told me tonight.

I was hoping that they would have shown a camera view from behind to see what Robert saw(or didn't see).

PJ, just so you know the front and back sides of the tree are on the same circuit. What you saw on the back side is what Robert saw on the front side. It's like a horse, if you spur one side the other side goes too.

We can only hope that ESPN2 puts a microphone on Prock so we'll know what he said - instead of all this confusion! :rolleyes:

PJ, just so you know the front and back sides of the tree are on the same circuit. What you saw on the back side is what Robert saw on the front side. It's like a horse, if you spur one side the other side goes too.
You're making an assumption that what we saw was the same as what Robert saw based upon what should happen. I'd rather see the video from the driver's perspective and positively rule it out based on the evidence and not a supposition.

I don't think it's Jimmy's responsibility to curtail his emotions in an ultra high pressure situation, faced with elimination. I encourage emotion. ESPN taped it hours earlier and sent it to air.

I don't think it's Jimmy's responsibility to curtail his emotions in an ultra high pressure situation, faced with elimination. I encourage emotion. ESPN taped it hours earlier and sent it to air.

Agree 100%! With all of the high dollar/multi-car teams dominating, anything to spice up the telecasts is welcome imo.

You're making an assumption that what we saw was the same as what Robert saw based upon what should happen. I'd rather see the video from the driver's perspective and positively rule it out based on the evidence and not a supposition.

Not really, I asked the guys from compulink and was told that the front and back side of the tree are on the same circuit.

There is a chance that there is no footage from behind the tree, just because there are cameras in position to catch it, they may have not been pointed there. I think they would have shown it if they had it. Just my .02

Dan

P.S. If I was Prock I would have said it too.

Not really, I asked the guys from compulink and was told that the front and back side of the tree are on the same circuit.
It doesn't matter how it's should work, the idea is to definitively confirm that it did work. I see a LOT of anomalies as a network engineer, devices doing things they're not supposed to and I'm charged with finding out what actually happened when we suffer an outage; making assumptions based on what I thought should happen doesn't go very far at my job. One simple yes/no question: did you see it from the drivers side? Either video or live, it doesn't matter. (Someone has the angle, ESPN usually has a camera view from behind, and it's just a simple matter of looking at the footage.) Until someone says "I saw the tree/video from Robert's perspective and the light did/didn't flicker, then it's just a theoretical guess.

There is a chance that there is no footage from behind the tree, just because there are cameras in position to catch it, they may have not been pointed there. I think they would have shown it if they had it.

You're much more confident than I am. Having footage that could support JP's rant edited out of the show is far from incomprehensible as far as I'm concerned. With all of the controversy surrounding that deal, I gotta' believe if the footage was there to prove it wasn't an electronic malfunction, NHRA would've made sure it was shown.

Sean D

A little bird told me it was a VERY QUICK light in his lane..and not the full .380 or .400 length of time(what ever it is on the Fuel Pro Tree) it should have been....i'd like to see the full speed video to confirm this...

The Pros run a .375 tree. That's the length of time between amber and green. When NHRA said it was a fast tree they were talking about the delay time between stage and amber. That's always supposed to be a variable.

I think everyone is missing a statement Robert made. He said he looked over at John. When he looked back at the tree it was already activated. That's a rookie mistake and there's no way to cut a decent light when you're not focused on the tree. All of us that race will continue to find a way to screw things up.

That should have been the end of the story.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing something. What would be the benefit of diving at this point in the season with 2 cars obviously going to make the countdown. On top of that, it put the better running of the 2 team cars on the trailer. I agree with the "I looked over at John" scenario.............:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back